• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

Boot from MFM disk drive - How to install DOS?

You could use DEBUG to load the MBR sector and then check if it has the 0x55 0xAA flag at the end. I think the command is "L 100 2 0 1"
  2. N

PC XT with 2 RLL hard drive controller cards

I have an ST11R controller and I found the manual online. It has jumpers that allows you to change the BIOS memory location. So it might be posible to use 2 controllers. If I use 2 controllers I dont have to move the hard drive that I already have installed. But if I connect both hard drives...
  3. N

Ok, so it's not going to work. I will have to install both hard drives with the same controller.
  4. N

Hi, Is it possible to install 2 RLL hard drive controllers in the same PC? I know one controller can handle 2 drives, but I'm curious to know if I can install one hard drive in each controller. It seems like it might be posible. I've read someone used 2 controllers, one was MFM and the other...
  5. N

Does Turbo Assembler or MASM come with an IDE?

Hi acgs, thank you for those links. I'll try those programs. Also I've tried Programmer's Workbench and yeah... its veeeery sloooow on my XT, almos unusable!
  6. N

MED is for Win 9x and I'm using a PC-XT. I think I'm going to try Programmer's Workbench.
  7. N

Hi, What type of integrated development environment do you guys use when coding assembler in DOS for a PC-XT? it seems like neither TASM nor MASM comes with an IDE. Are there any good IDEs I could use or am I stuck using MS-DOS edit? Thanks!
  8. N

Read/Save MFM hard drive contents to modern PC

I finally made it work! I had several things wrong. The TTL to RS232 level converter was only converting the RX and TX signals but not the CTS, DSR, RTS and DTR signals. The second thing was the BIOS, I was using GlaBIOS and for some reason the serial interrupt was crashing and also when I...
  9. N

Ok, I'll try to explain all the tests I've done more clearly. The cable I'm using has the ground connected on both ends and the 2 RX and TX signals crossed. That means the RX from one end goes to the TX on the other end and viceversa. Trying to receive a file larger than 8K with that Qbasic...
  10. N

Text files seem to be transmitted ok, but I only sent short ones, like autoexec.bat and config.sys. I did not connect the flow control lines, only TX and RX. I found that the problem is DosBox, it does not transmit anything over the serial port. I dont even have a terminal program in the XT so...
  11. N

I was able to get an ethernet 3com 3C509 card. But now I need to transfer the drivers to see if I can make the card work. So what I did was to connect the UART from the OrangePi to a TTL-RS232 level converter and then with the null cable to COM1 on the XT. I'm able to transfer a file with a...
  12. N

Yes Yes In the Win10 PC mine is COM9. Then I changed it to COM2. I also tried it using an HP Proliant ML350 G9 that has a serial port with Ubuntu 20.04 and it wont connect. DosBox starts showing these messages: "Serial1: Errors: Framing 0, Parity 0, Overrun RX:28 (IF0:0), TX:0, Break 0"...
  13. N

I tried FastLynx and Norton Commander but they dont work. FastLynx shows "Waiting for connection..." on the XT and Norton Coommander wont connect. I was able to transfer the SL.EXE file from FastLynx using these two commands: "mode com1:2400,n,8,1,p" and "ctty com1". What do those commands do...
  14. N

I didnt know that Norton Commander could connect 2 PCs over serial. It seems to be the only easy way of transfering files for me because I dont have MS-DOS 6.0, MODE.COM or Lap Link. But I'll need to build a serial cable because I dont even have the serial port bracket. Does PIMAGE.EXE lets you...
  15. N

Hi, I would like to backup the contents of the MFM hard drive to my modern PC and also I would like to create a hard drive image and then send it to the XT. My idea would be to use either the serial or parallel port because those are the only ones avaliable that I have. I havent been able to...
  16. N

Modify XT BIOS to replace monitor and keyboard using UART port

The VGA card Realtek RTG-3105E works perfectly! and the machine detects the ST-238R and boots fine! now all I need is to emulate the keyboard. I'm thinking about using an Orange Pi PC Plus that I have. The idea would be to use the GPIO pins to generate the XT keyboard scan codes, it doesnt seem...
  17. N

I bought this card https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/realtek-rtg3105e-in-xt-system.80934/ some people say it works on an XT and others say it doesn't so I dont know... I'm going to try it maybe it works for me.
  18. N

VGA ISA 8bit cards here are imposible to find. But I could buy one of these cards: Beltron / Realtek Cg-3105 256kb, Oak Oti-077 1Mb, Cirrus Logic CL-GD5401-42QC I'm not sure if they are 8bit ISA compatible.
  19. N

Hi, I recently bought an XT with no monitor or keyboard. Where I live hercules monitors and XT keyboard are very difficult to find and therefore very expensive. So I'm thinking about modifying int 10h and int 09h so that any text that is displayed on screen is sent to the UART port. Do you guys...
Back