• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. H

Need a Compaq Portable 3 Boot Disk

This is interesting, I didn't think the portable would even look at a 3.5" floppy drive until the bios was altered. I have plenty of drives hanging around and i'll most likely have a floppy cable some place, maybe steal it from another system. I do have the disks in the post, coming to me from...
  2. H

Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay in replying. A very kind chap on here is sending me the disks needed to boot the computer up. So the next step will be to secure myself a slim line 5.25" 1.44mb floppy drive.
  3. H

The reason I’m posting here, is because I don’t know anyone with a 360kb floppy drive and was hoping someone could help. But it’s thus far proven fruitless 🙁 Not an encouraging start to restoring this machine.
  4. H

I’m still looking, thought hagelaars was going to come to the rescue but he’s since stopped responding to pm’s and I really need a boot disk to use this machine.
  5. H

Still needing a boot disk if anyone can help
  6. H

At the moment the machine has it's stock 5.25" drive installed. All I have is 3.5" floppy drives, so I'm not able to create the disk needed to get the ball rolling. My understanding is that you can just swap the internal floppy drive without first booting into the bios and telling it to look for...
  7. H

A few months back I got my hands on a Compaq portable, it seems in working order, albeit the keyboard cable is frayed, which I'm going to address at some point. Either with a new cable or some heat shrink. Anyways, reason for the post is because I don't have the means to create the original...
  8. H

Hotlinks wordprocessor full version?

Hey I've just been using this cool little program on my Amstrad PPC. However the spell checker doesn't function. Anyone know if there's are registered version lurking around? I don't imagine it's possible to register it still in 2021 lol
  9. H

Hotlinks wordprocessor full version?

Admins please delete, somehow my phone has created two posts when I initially posted this morning.
  10. H

Name a good wordprocessor that runs off floppy

I'm playing around with an Amstrad PPC512 and I've been using the stock software. It's not bad, but very limiting and was wondering if anyone could recommend anything else. My first thought was Wordstar, but I want something I can transfer to a modern PC and read with ease. I used to have a...
  11. H

Compaq Portable II No boot

Hey everyone I'm hoping to get some advice, someone I know is selling a CP-II but he says it doesn't power up, all that happens is the lights bink on and off. I'm not that familiar with the Compaq Portables and wondered if anyone with more experience might be able to offer some insight.
  12. H

Sharp PC7200 Boot Disk?

Hey guys So i think I finally found a copy of the Sharp Diagnostic disk but I've got a slight problem. When I first became the proud owner of this machine, the floppy drive didn't work and as a work around I installed a 3.5" floppy drive. It works fine and it's a lot easier to swap data between...
  13. H

Reading Apricot Disks?

Hey Is it possible to read / write to disks formatted for Apricot computers on a modern, Win XP system?
  14. H

Looking for information on the Victor Vicki

Hey guys I've seen one of these machines for sale and as I've always hankered for a portable green screen DOS system. I tried looking up on them but couldn't find much, other than a lot of people asking for boot disk. Does anyone own one of these and can maybe fill me in? I'm guessing it...
  15. H

Looking for advice on HP 95LX + Compact Flash

I've been fighting with my 95LX, hoping I might be able to get my 6MB CF card to work with it. It works fine on the 200LX, but the 95LX doesn't want to play ball. If anyone reading this has past experience with these machines, I'd love some input. Even if it's just to tell me not to bother trying :P
  16. H

Taking first strep in to DEC OS8 and PDP8. general question

Whats the best approach as a complete newcomer for getting in to these machines? I've been farting around with OS8 for a little while and avoiding the front panel switches all together. Doing the usual thing of playing adventure so such but I'd like to do a little more. Did the PDP8 ever had any...
  17. H

Seeking Apricot Computer Owners and people good at recovering floppies

Hi there guys Earlier this week a began a thread on the forum looking for help restoring a copy of Wordstar 3.40 I picked up. This copy of Wordstar would appear to have been sold for the Apricot brand of computers. I've had little success getting the floppies to work in my regular PC, because...
  18. H

Looking for Wordstar 3.40 for DOS

I recently bought a boxed copy of Wordstar but the 3.5" floppies are dead. I was wondering if anyone might have a copy of this version of Wordstar. Thanks James
  19. H

IBM 350 - P90 Video Card Advice

Hi guys A couple of years ago, I got my hands on an old 90's IBM 350 desktop computer. It's a lovely little machine, perfect for when I get the retro gaming itch. The only problem I have with it, is that I dont seem able to use an ISA or PCI video card. The motherboard seems locked to using the...
  20. H

Viglen Dossier 486

Evening all A friend pick this laptop up for me at a Ham radio fair thinking I would get a kick out of fiddling with it. I've not been able to find anything useful about it online, however the BIOS says the internal floppy is 1.44mb, but it will not read floppies correctly and only formats to...
Back