• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. U

Need a picture of the back of a Gateway 2000 P5-60 or 66 motherboard.

I desoldered a Dallas chip on a gateway 2000 P5-66 motherboard a few times and it seems I broke a couple traces and the machine no longer boots. So, I was wondering if anybody has that machine and could take a picture of the area on the back side of the motherboard around the Dallas chip. Thanks
  2. U

Anybody know what this card goes to?

It is labeled PMEB-1000 Rev 1, has 8 30 pin SIMM slots and connections for PS/2 mouse, game, and 2 serial ports but the controller chips are not on this board (just 4 MC74F245N chips which are Octal Bidirectional Transceivers).
  3. U

BIOS problem with a Gateway2000 P5-66 Socket 4 machine.

I have a Gateway2000 P5-66 Socket 4 desktop I am having issues with. When I turned it on it complained about the CMOS battery being low, and this unit has a soldered-on Dallas DS-12887 chip. Also, it would end booting at "Enter current Password" prompt and then lock up with no further keyboard...
  4. U

What do you guys use for reliable benchmarks for modernish CPU's?

For example, I have an E5 2667 V3 XEON (8C/16T) and was comparing it to a desktop I7-5960X (8C/16T) same socket LGA 2011-3 https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E5-2667-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5960X/m505323vs2580...
  5. U

Capacitor issues outside of home computers.

Lately I have been watching videos on Youtube about car/engine repairs and teardowns and came across one about a mint old Lexus that worked fine then just quit working, and then worked again. The issue that even the dealer could not repair after replacing thousands of dollars of parts was a bad...
  6. U

Old Parallel Port Dongles

Is there a place that lists what programs old parallel port dongles go with? I have a sentinel Pro Dongle from Rainbow Technologies , Inc Irvine CA and wanted to know what app it was meant for.
  7. U

Email migration in Windows

My main rig is an old Windows 7 machine using Microsoft's Windows Live Mail for email. I am going to switch to Windows 10 and was wondering if I should use MS's mail that is built in or something like Thunderbird? Live mail is abandoned so I figure I should use something new (also it doesn't...
  8. U

More tools.

Since I have been messing around with tons of video cards for my collection (some faulty) I decided to get one of these: I think it just checks for no continuity or shorts on GPUs. Not sure why there are 2 PCIE slots nor where I can find the manual.
  9. U

How far do you go to fix commodity PC boards?

I have a nice Abit P4 motherboard that died on me (southbridge blew). Since I liked the board (Ran WinME on it and used SATA HD), I just stuck it on the shelf and recently pulled the chip off using a hot air rework station. Anyway, I looked the chip up and found some on ebay tested and reballed...
  10. U

What do you currently use for thumbdrives?

I have been using ADATA brand thumbdrives for moving drivers around and for bootable Windows installs. Since they are USB 3, they are quick to install Windows 10. The older model I like was UV128/32GB and I just purchased a 3 pack of newer UV320/32GB. I guess the newer models are just a little...
  11. U

You guys ever deal with bent pins on LGA motherboards?

I have snagged a few boards in the past where a pin or two was slightly bent out of whack and were easy enough to fix using a jeweler's scope and super sharp tweezers meant for SMD work. The other day I got in a Asrock Z97 board exactly like another I had easily fixed for barely over shipping...
  12. U

What do you use for a POST card on motherboards that don't even have PCI anymore?

I have POST cards for ISA, parallel port (for laptops mostly) and PCI but now I am running into motherboards that are too new to have any of those (just PCIE).
  13. U

Weird RAM issue on a DDR4 motherboard.

I have an Asrock X99X motherboard with 8 DDR4 RAM slots (LGA 2011 -3). When I put the machine together recently, I used 6 x 4GB SK Hynix DDR4-2133 RAM in tripple channel for 24GB and all was fine. Today I got in 6 more DIMMs of the same exact brand/rating/cas as what I used before, but they...
  14. U

Old tape backup methods.

People have been complaining about the reliability of old QIC tape systems (rollers turning to goo, tape band tensioners breaking) for some time now. I was wondering what you guys think of newer but obsolete and/or abandoned tape backups like DAT, AIT, DLT, 8MM, old LTO etc. I have tossed a...
  15. U

What generally smokes in an old power supply.

I was digging for something on a shelf the other day and noticed I had an old boxed Powmac LC-6100xs supply on the shelf I forgot about. While testing it with my newer PS tester that shows voltage I noticed the 5v and 12v were a little lower than they should be and then came the magic smoke...
  16. U

What is the cheapest mouse you have purchased recently?

I was at a discount/grocery chain called Marcs today (headquarters in Ohio I think) and was looking through their clearance section and found a stack of MIHUN E01 corded optical mice for $2 NIB. Supposed to be 1000DPI with a wheel and about the size most people like. I seen cheap mice before...
  17. U

Now here is a cool keyboard to have

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/what-could-be-cooler-than-typing-on-a-keyboard-salvaged-from-a-nuclear-missile-silo/ar-AARod5p?ocid=msedgntp
  18. U

Bad power supply on a molar mac G3

I have an Apple G3 AIO (molar mac) with a bad power supply (12V is under 2V, 5V is good). Anybody have schematics for the power supply (661-2042)? These are kind of rare since the supply was only used with the AIO and provides power for the CRT as well as the motherboard. Had a hard time...
  19. U

Do you guys keep build information or general notes of things you do?

When I am working on systems vintage or newer I scribble notes, save drivers and any manuals on my server, maybe save a link for useful information in my browser. Generally my notes tends to get tossed when finished. Was wondering if anybody bothered to keep a lab book on repairs , upgrades...
  20. U

The old Symantec which is called something else now is buying Avast AV

I think one of the first anti virus applications I used was Norton AV for DOS. Eventually they became Symantec in the 9x era and I quit using them for free third party apps like my current Avast. Seems like the company that Symantec became is buying up Avast and I expect to be bombarded with...
Back