• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. 1944GPW

Reproducing Calcomp Logo

I got around to trying the iron-on decal onto a piece of very smooth finished ply. I had the iron on the hottest setting, no steam and held it on for a minute. Even after that, only some of the laser printed bit transferred. It did not transfer the substrate, only the printed part. I've...
  2. 1944GPW

DEC units on ebay

Actually the RKV11 print set is there in the last three photos and I can't edit my above post. My sincere apology!
  3. 1944GPW

Reproducing Calcomp Logo

For me the finish on the wood would play a part in the choice of application. Screen printing would be good but for line detail that fine it would probably require an azide UV photoresist on a high-Denier mesh count mask fabric. That might not be a cheap option. CNC vinyl cutting as suggested...
  4. 1944GPW

DEC units on ebay

Looking at this RKV11 offering, the print set shown appears to be for the RXV11 rather than the RKV11 unit itself. So I guess that the buyer would possibly still have to be looking for the RKV11 drawings?
  5. 1944GPW

DEC units on ebay

The same seller has an RKV11 for >2k USD (about a quarter million Oz Dollarydoos) which I would be interested in, but I'm a bit hesitant at that price. AFAIK this uses three of the RK11-D modules and a custom 4-height Qbus I/F module plus a special wired backplane? A while ago I asked on cctalk...
  6. 1944GPW

Honeywell 200 resurrection

Apart from the cost, there's probably more on that 60 USD waxed lacing spool than you'd need. I'd try experimenting with making some from a ball of regular string/twine from a "$2 shop". Melt some candles over a heat source in an aluminium softdrink can cut in half, and draw the twine through...
  7. 1944GPW

Honeywell 200 resurrection

They look like regular Winchester MRAC75P connectors. The body parts and shells for MRACs are easy enough to find on eBay but it's the multitude of options for the pins and sockets (diameter, material, plating, tail type etc.) that are annoyingly complicated, and expensive. They also require a...
  8. 1944GPW

Microcomputers At Work

Don't know about that book, but this one sure is informative: HOW IT WORKS... THE COMPUTER
  9. 1944GPW

Magazine Opportunity!

We don't have basements here in Oz. If I get to the states sometime, a basement is on my list of things to see. Re the bonus points, can I be presumptuous and ask what they can be redeemed for?
  10. 1944GPW

Managing your retro projects...tips?

I have unfinished projects going back to 1978 that I still get out occasionally and work on, can't hurry these things... I have a zillion of them, of which vintage computing is just one hobby. For instance I must have a few hundred scale model kits to start on sometime, with a few dozen more on...
  11. 1944GPW

Overview site - PDP-1/8/10/11 replicas

These look to be fantastic projects! The Whirlwind sounds pretty interesting (the carousel pictures on the new site don't seem to be scrolling for me though.....?). A while ago I made some replica Whirlwind paper tape from some sample programs Mr Fedorkow sent me, you can see the punched...
  12. 1944GPW

Capacitor issues outside of home computers.

I've replaced the large electro cap in a few microwave ovens. You might say 'why bother' but the ovens in question are early 2000s Sharp convection units. IMHO they have the best user interfaces of a microwave I've ever used (handle door rather than pushbutton, simple convection...
  13. 1944GPW

RK05 disk emulator development and discussion

It's a very impressive effort, I'm just watching from the sidelines but following the project with interest. I don't know if this would figure but would it be possible to have a blank pad or via added near each LED and switch? I could foresee a replica of the full size 19" wide 10-1/2" high...
  14. 1944GPW

Cromemco dazzler replica project

I don't have anything useful to add but the Futura font was apparently one of Stanley Kubrick's favourites: Typeset In The Future
  15. 1944GPW

Tracing a vintage PCB in KiCAD

Could a prototype board be done by milling the PCB? David at Usagi Electric seems to put his mill to great use, churning out a lot of boards for his valve computer. He seems like an approachable guy, maybe he could give you some advice?
  16. 1944GPW

Found PET at estate sale

If you have clean compressed air to blast the water out, i'd use it. I was watching Mr Usagi the other day, he washed boards, dried them in the sun then used compressed air. Which is opposite to me - I air blast the final wash water out of the board as much and as soon as possible, then dry in...
  17. 1944GPW

Repairing Small Broken Plastic Parts.

With binding repairs, they are almost always stronger than the original. It wouldn't be the new tab that cracks off, it would be somewhere along the rest of the bracket.
  18. 1944GPW

Repairing Small Broken Plastic Parts.

I assume you mean the tab in the centre of the bracket? Why not mill the rest of the tab flat and bind+glue a new piece on. Could even be a small rectangular scrap of aluminium.
  19. 1944GPW

Greetings from Glasgow, Kentucky!

You and your respective Glasgows are both North of me! Welcome.
  20. 1944GPW

Kaypro Damage by Local Government - is it just an Australian thing?

OT but IMO if there's one thing we do well in Australia, it's the tight regulations on pool fencing. There'd be no "should have a fence" debate here, it's have a certified fence or cop the penalties from the pool inspectors. We love our outdoors, beach and swimming culture a great deal, yet...
Back