• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Eudimorphodon

TRS-80 Level II BASIC cross-assembly source?

My google-fu seems to be failing me; does anyone know of a github repository or other location where someone's put together a commented disassembly of the TRS-80 Level II BASIC source that's easily built with one of the many Z80 cross-compilation packages that are floating around? (There's an...
  2. Eudimorphodon

IBM Actionwriter 1 Typewriter - Anyone know anything about these?

Was at the Goodwill this morning with the kid, striking out on looking for Halloween craft stuff and marveling at how overpriced most of the stuff seemed to be, when I saw an IBM Actionwriter 1 electric typewriter on the shelf for only $7.79. Physically it looked almost pristine, so I figured...
  3. Eudimorphodon

Circuit Design for "invisible" RAM sharing with a Z80 CPU?

Been mulling over some ideas to resurrect a stalled "homebrew computer" project lately, and among the ideas I'm considering is changing horses in midstream to making a sorta-TRS-80 compatible instead of a sorta-PET compatible. (Mainly because the "market", so to speak, for Commodore respins...
  4. Eudimorphodon

ATX PSU as a workbench supply? Running into some quirks...

Wondering if anyone on these forums who dabbles in electronics has encountered some of the "issues" I'm seeing. Over a year ago I started using a hotwired (just stuck a loop of wire between the power-on signal and ground on the motherboard plug) ATX power supply to power breadboard experiments...
  5. Eudimorphodon

DIY Color Computer 3 memory expansion questions/clarifications

Another item on my to-do list: After a working floppy disk controller finally fell into my lap I decided to pull the pair of CoCo3's I've had forever out of storage and play with them. A thing I have rapidly realized is that a 128K CoCo3 is sort of useless for running much CoCo3 specific...
  6. Eudimorphodon

Anyone know of any cheap TRS-80 Model III overclock hacks?

Probably jumping the gun asking now, since I don't yet have the thing in hand to play with, but I'm curious: I remember sources like 80 Microcomputing printing on multiple occasions simple speed-up hacks for the TRS-80 Model I; a 50% speed-up from 1.77mhz to 2.6mhz was a really common mod, and...
  7. Eudimorphodon

Best glue for repairing a TRS-80 Model I case?

A quick one: What is the best type of glue for repairing a broken off screw post in a TRS-80 Model I? Google fu is failing me what kind of plastic it is, so is there a solvent-type glue that’s the best plan or should I try epoxy? I have some of that purple stuff for welding PVC pipes lying...
  8. Eudimorphodon

TRS-80 Model I horizontal video instability

Instead of doing a "jumbo" everything thread maybe it makes more sense to do problem specific ones so they might be easier to find later. So: I have a TRS-80 Model I that has an interesting issue with the video output. Upon being initially powered up from cold it displays clear text output, but...
  9. Eudimorphodon

Mere Mortals seeing unapproved topic messages?

Occasionally I'll see a thing like this on the "New Topics" feed: If I click on that topic I'll see a "Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page. For assistance..." message. That latter part makes enough sense, but is there a permission set incorrectly that's letting me see that an...
  10. Eudimorphodon

Another "New TRS-80 Model I with issues" thread

In a rare fit of impulse buying I BIN'ed an untested storage-locker-find Model I keyboard unit (only) the other day, which just arrived a few hours ago. (My motivation was somewhere between thinking it's be nice to have a parts unit for my beloved other TRS-80 and thinking it might also be nice...
  11. Eudimorphodon

A dumb (but obscure) Commodore PET video implementation question: Hardware cursor?

Today I stumbled across Steve Gray's build-your-own custom EDIT ROM project: http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/projects/editrom/index.html Because, short version, I might possibly have an interest in a custom EDIT ROM (and maybe Kernel?) in the next couple months. I just started poking around...
  12. Eudimorphodon

Question for the GAL Gurus: Most efficient Divide by three?

I'm still sort of a newb at this whole "programmable logic" thing, so I have this strong feeling I'm probably missing a really obvious and cool way to accomplish a thing. So here's a question for the wizards: what's the best strategy for implementing non-power-of-2 clock dividers in a GAL? A...
  13. Eudimorphodon

Quick and dirty Python viewer for character generator ROM dumps

On the slight chance anyone's interested here's a minimal program I threw together in Python3 using "Pillow" (an actually supported fork of the older Python Image Library, PIL to render a graphic dump of the contents of a byte-wide character generator ROM. (I wrote this because I wanted to do...
  14. Eudimorphodon

Electronics design question: SRAM/ROM read "Duty Cycle"? Also, Z80 wait states.

Electronics design question: SRAM/ROM read "Duty Cycle"? Also, Z80 wait states. Today I was working on the "video card" project I mentioned in a thread in the CP/M section. Specifically I was working on a likely codebase switch for the software I'm using as the basis of the timing for the card...
  15. Eudimorphodon

Fun with "Infuriating" OAK VGA cards.

There's a listing that's been running for a while on eBay offering a lot of five "AS-IS" OTI077 ISA VGA cards for a little less than $20. I wanted a VGA card to check out if one would work in my homemade Tandy 1000 EX/HX expansion system, and since that lot of five was less than what most people...
  16. Eudimorphodon

Ideas for a "switchable" 8-bit ISA Riser.

Recently I did some hacking on my Tandy 1000 HX test mule to figure out strategies for freeing up the parts of the memory map occupied by the mostly useless onboard DOS and Deskmate resources so they could be used for expansion memory and peripherals. The mission was mostly successful, and in...
  17. Eudimorphodon

My "new" Northstar Horizon: where to get started?

It's been kind of a running joke for five years that I owned an S-100 computer that I'd never actually seen in person before. (A story primarily comprised of a long-distance adoption followed by several years of "how in the world am I going to safely ship this thing?") But now, thanks to some of...
  18. Eudimorphodon

Zero-K resident enabler to use Lo-Tech EMS or compatible as UMB with use!umbs.sys

I don't know if anyone might be interested in this, but based on some sad hackery of some code I found on Stackexchange (or was it pastebin?) I threw together a little "non-driver" that initializes the page frame registers of a Lo-Tech EMS board or compatible and exits to ensure that there will...
  19. Eudimorphodon

OAK OTI-077 VGA card in a Tandy 1000: VGAMODE.EXE legacy emulation issues

This is kind of a far-out one, but maybe someone has a similar config. I recently stuffed an OAK OTI-077 VGA card in a Tandy 1000 HX via an ISA slot adapter. The OTI-077 has a 16 bit connector but it only has an 8-bit wide BIOS and it seems to otherwise work fine in an 8-bit slot; the Tandy...
  20. Eudimorphodon

Disabling DOS/Deskmate-in-ROM on a Tandy 1000 HX: Close! But... ideas?

As the thread title indicates, lately I've been fooling with an idea for increasing the amount of upper memory space available in a Tandy 1000 HX. To recap, the major internal difference between the HX and the otherwise similar EX is the HX has a whopping 128K of BIOS ROM, which according to...
Back