• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. T-Squared

Compaq Portable III: Using multiple drives/storage devices on IDE controller possible?

It's strange. Both seem to be respected brands. One is Transcend, the other is Cisco/SiliconSystems.
  2. T-Squared

Compaq Portable III: Using multiple drives/storage devices on IDE controller possible?

I was trying to be politically correct, since a lot of people might now take offense at "master/slave" connotations. (Probably makes it worse.) But yes, they do have "Master/Slave" jumper setting markings on them. Anyways, the point is that any CF card on the slave plug does not get detected by...
  3. T-Squared

It's 40 pin. Also, what I meant by dual-plug, is that there are 3 plugs. (One from the motherboard, two for primary-secondary/master-slave configuration.)
  4. T-Squared

All right. I have had success in using XT-IDE on the Compaq Portable III, thanks to a patched BIOS ROM from VOGONS: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=62482 The problem I am having now is that I have a dual-plug cable, but it only reads and accepts one CF card. The other one is read as...
  5. T-Squared

IBM 5150 w/Expansion Unit 1801 post on Boot

Oops. I was tired and forgot to add something to the first tip: "ONLY keep the iron on for the amount of time it takes to melt the solder, and no more, as much as you can. If you do, you may damage the copper pad by burning away the epoxy that holds the copper tube (that the wire leg of the...
  6. T-Squared

IBM 5150 w/Expansion Unit 1801 post on Boot

A few things to consider when soldering: Don't keep your soldering iron on the parts and board too long. ONLY keep the iron on for the amount of time it takes to You may damage the pad by burning away the epoxy that holds the copper tube (that the wire leg of the board part goes through)...
  7. T-Squared

XT-IDE AT/x86 version: Unable to configure ports and addresses?

OH BABY!!!! IT WORKS! I just ordered the cables and IDE adapters today (these of which I will attach to a 3D-printed frame later), but on a whim, I decided to try getting XT-IDE onto 27C64 EPROMS. Turns out they read just fine! I'll update this with a newer version later, but MAN... this...
  8. T-Squared

AHA! SOMEONE ELSE DID IT (AND THEY'VE INCLUDED THE PATCHED BIOS)!!! https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=62482
  9. T-Squared

Huh, it seems you were right. My copy of the configurator was from 2020.
  10. T-Squared

I said AT version, for 286 and up.
  11. T-Squared

Since I have my Compaq Portable III in easy working order again, I want to try using XT-IDE as a pair of option EPROMS (note the missing "E") in the extra chip sockets provided on its motherboard. (That is, if it has the capability to do so.) The only problem is, I can't configure anything for...
  12. T-Squared

A possibility for A Load-Diode/Resistor version of the Dallas RTC replacement?

One year later, and it seems, with cautious optimism, I have figured out the battery problem in my Compaq, thanks to @modem7. It was the chip type and the support circuitry around it. I got rid of it and the Motorola CMOS chip that I used, and swapped over to the Necroware DS12887 replacement...
  13. T-Squared

Toshiba T3200 floppy drive problems

Strange. Mine worked just fine for me when I got it. I am extremely sorry for your system, though. That was not my intention.
  14. T-Squared

Another Rifa goes out in a blaze of glory

I don't see the problem that you're talking about. Can you zoom in a bit closer? [/s]
  15. T-Squared

Also, all you need to worry about is matching pin 1 on both of the plastic crimp housings (an arrow) with wire 1 on the ribbon cable (red wire). That's easy. If you do that correctly, all you need to do is have the housing arrows on the same side as pin 1 on the converter board, and on the...
  16. T-Squared

No problem! You might have to make some changes to the drive cage that the floppy drive sits in.
  17. T-Squared

Original-IBM-5150 or IBM-Clone Memory Experimentation Thread

I had already confirmed that the inputs were good with the logic analyzer, connected to DATA-IN on all bank 0 chips (only 8/9 mem chips on the entire board, ignoring the extra parity chip that I added) during a few tests before. As I was tracing out more of the diagram, I found that the way the...
  18. T-Squared

I've been tracing out the circuitry more and more, and finding more analogous structures. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out where to start from now: For the sake of argument: 1. Timing for Row and Column Address Strobing (RAS/CAS) and Write Enable all seem fine...
  19. T-Squared

I was too tired to remember if this was part of the trace, earlier this morning: If we are reading from Addr 0001, we should have the inverted value of 01FE in 640k Mode, correct? (not counting the leading 0 as part of the value. The reason is my logic analyzer does that too, so the value comes...
  20. T-Squared

Well, at the very least, in both modes, a full address is being correctly expressed in the proper timing according to the address lines on the chips, and those values are inverted, like you said, modem7. (i.e. FE instead of 01 and FC instead of 03) I will try to correlate it with the data-ins...
Back