• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. IBMMuseum

Strange computer CMOS battery...

I've got my PCMIG system mostly going, but just when expecting to replace a CR-2032 (it does have an 850MHz PIII, but running NTWS), I find a "TL-5186": The description says two pins are used, but it is four pins on the opposite side of the SBC circuit board. A good suspicion would be for a...
  2. IBMMuseum

"VGA Legacy" - collection of graphic cards

Looking to see visitors to my site, I came across this: http://www.vgamuseum.info Set it back to 8 and 16-bit ISA to see older cards... I'm also getting strange hits on the Dallas RTC rework pages...
  3. IBMMuseum

Harvesting soldered parts from non-functional boards...

Looks like an appropriate posting location... I've been harvesting parts from non-functional clone motherboards, and wonder about some of the nuances others may use: Typically I localize the heatgun on the solder side, then rap the board down over a cardboard box. Excess solder splashes in...
  4. IBMMuseum

Blurb on incorrect information about some Real-Time Clocks....

First: "...The RTC was introduced to PC compatibles by the IBM PC/AT in 1984..." Tezza, you say that the 58167AN in your Kaypro is trapped in the 20th Century, but you just have to poke the correct value in the right location (that particular RTC chip does roll over the century information...
  5. IBMMuseum

Looking for SYSGEN "Bridge-File" External Floppy files, Version 3.44

I've got the drive, cable, and internal connection board 1050 (a replacement floppy riser for the PS/2 Model 50/50Z), but looking for the software to support it. As I hear it, version 3.44 resolves issues to work under Windows 3.x/95. The absolutely necessary file is BRIDGE.DRV, with a VIEW.EXE...
  6. IBMMuseum

IBM PC110 batteries, cheap at "The Shack"...

Fellow PC110 owners, the lithium-ion 7.2V "camcorder" battery that fits in this system is on clearance at Radio Shack, for $2.97 each (RS part #23-383). I had just bought a couple Energizer ERC520GRNs online, with the charger, and spent about $60 total. With two under a tenth of that tonight, I...
  7. IBMMuseum

MAC Address / DHCP IP ¨Stealth¨ when I didn´t want it...

Maybe this will be better in ¨Rants¨... Today I´m documenting all of the systems connected on the home network. An XP Pro system in a main room is notably absent in the list of DHCP clients on the router, even though it is on at the time. I check, and sure enough it is set to get the IP address...
  8. IBMMuseum

122-key keyboard interfacing...

The late-model PS/2s had support for 122-key keyboards out of the box. This is the sequence to check for BIOS support, possibly working for other manufacterers/BIOSes as well. Of course any OS with a HAL (typically off-topic here anyway) may give a different reply. INT 15h, AH = C0h, bit 6 of...
  9. IBMMuseum

3270 PC Display Adapter Cards

If anyone wants to see the cards I am referring to, here is the page: http://www.seasip.info/VintagePC/5271.html#video (two of my units have the three card set, one system doesn´t have the APA card expansion, and I have one spare of each of the display adapter and Programable Symbols cards)...
  10. IBMMuseum

CNN's iReport says "Show us your vintage Macs"...

http://www.ireport.com/ir-topic-stories.jspa?topicId=186195 "The Macintosh desktop is turning 25 on Saturday, and we'd love to take a stroll down memory lane. Apple's tiny computer, released in 1984, was different with its uniform design, decidedly un-furry "mouse" and innovative graphical...
  11. IBMMuseum

Cables, cables, cables...

I've got just about every older cable for PCs. Keyboard, serial, parallel, floppy, IDE, SCSI. Just tell me exactly what you want and I can find it fast, and can tell what I would sell it for.
  12. IBMMuseum

Binary Designers...

So the group of developers were designing the first binary system, and one turns to the other and says: "You know, I don't like this 'one' bit..."
  13. IBMMuseum

DOS program methods methods to check for Windows

I'll have to dig some of my old code I wrote to see the order I made these calls to go through the different Windows versions (but versions like 9x would use them to block Windows 3.x & earlier from running in a DOS box). And rather than for DOS program usage they were probably design for...
  14. IBMMuseum

Slower Modems, Faster Computers...

Hello All, The thread "Modem for XT Computer" brings up an interesting inverse: What are the conditions where a slower internal modem would be desired on a much more capable system? In my case it was microchannel PS/2s going up to Socket 5 "Classic" Pentiums (able to run Windows 95 or NT...
  15. IBMMuseum

Hello from IBMMuseum

Just bridging out more from the circle of comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware and comp.sys.ibm.pc.classic newsgroups. Of course my focus is on IBM systems from slightly before the PC to after the PS/2s. My site hasn't grown as much as I would like because I don't have the free time to do it all. Maybe if...
Back