• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

My Rusted PET8032 with busted CRT ...continuous resurrection

About 2-3 years ago, I decided to buy this PET 8032 locally ( advertised with busted CRT, dead AS IS). It was dirty, case rusted, motherboard shows rusting ic pins, etc. After giving it a thorough cleaning, I tried to see if it powers up, or “chirps”. Nothing..so I replaced IC sockets for all...
  2. R

8032 Minimum RAM chips requirement to Boot

Hello. Can somebody tell me what is the Minimum number of 4116 RAM chips required to be able to boot. I have unsoldered all 16 RAMS and about to build a 4116 (MM5290J) Tester. I have this 8032 with busted screen and has been stored in a (damp) basement when I got it. I wasn’t getting any...
  3. R

PET 8032 has +/- 4.83 volts on 5v rails...low?

I have a PET 8032 with a broken screen display and a “dead” board?. So I am trying to resurrect it “blindly” hoping to just even get a “chirp” sound when powering on. Alas, nothing is happening. I measured the voltages (from 2114 pins) and I am only reading +/- 4.83 volts where a 5volt reading...
  4. R

Netronics ASCII keyboard and Video Board questions

Apologies for cross-posting. I finally had my hands on this Netronics products ( got it for a fair price few years ago with Explorer/85). After re-soldering ( and IPA+cleaning) all points on the PCB and replacing caps, I got the the Video board working. I also re-did the solders ( and replace...
  5. R

Netronics Explorer/85 ROM ..create 1 single ROM filei

I want to revisit (and maybe upgrade) my Netronics Level1A board...and maybe add ROM/RAM section in future upgrade. However, I am not keen in sourcing several original eproms/rams for it. Upon seeing Tom Nesbitt’s Simple 8085, I wonder if I can create a single ROM file by concatenating the...
  6. R

Grant Searle's site down (Source of Homebrew 6502/6809/Z80 systems)

Today, i revisited Grant Searle's site and to my surprise...it is kinda Down...'sleeping, etc.' At the moment. I felt so bad as I was going to do some references to my upcoming home project. But alas, it seems it is gone. Hopefully, it will be back and up soon.
  7. R

Downgrade Kaypro 10 to boot / work on floppy?

I have this Kaypro 10 (couple of years or so) which has a problem booting up from the HD. I tried all the things to get it running ( format, reload the OS,etc.) but with no success. One time, I thought I can get a Fre-Hdd for it but when it came to source it, everything fell in the cracks. So It...
  8. R

CGP-115 print commands differ between CoCos and Model 3..4

I was just finished reviving a CGP-115 plotter (gear problems) and also built a serial printer cable to connect it to Color computers (CoCo2/3). On testing the plotter, I proceeded into typing some small program which I had hoped that the plotter works right away.. On my dismay, nothing was...
  9. R

IBM PS/1 Model 2155 "Multimedia" --just another 486 system??

A couple months back,I was given an IBM PS/1 system (Model 2155 with "Multimedia" printed on the front Flap cover". I made me "hop" a bit since it will be a good addition to my retro collection (after being so sorry of sending a few PS/2 systems in 2005 for recycle from work --did not even think...
  10. R

How far do you go to say a collection is complete?

I have been collecting vintage computers but most of it seems to center on the main CPU / drive case but there are computers that have their matching monitors, keyboards, mouse and speakers, etc. Examples: IBM 51xx with matching monitor and keyboard Apple Macs, Imacs, etc. Amiga with monitors...
  11. R

IBM 8573-121 (P70?) Faulty power supply

I pulled my IBM 8573-121 luggable pc today in the hope that I can restart it again (after a couple of years in storage). I salvaged this from a recycle place back then and was able to get it to boot. Today, however, the power supply did not even turn-on first. After a few tries, the fan...
  12. R

IDM Research V-50 Motherboard Bios (ROM??) dump

Hello, I just found a nicely kept motherboard in one of my boxes and it seems to be a PC clone made by IDM Research (could be a Canadian company??). It seems to be an early version of IBM 5xxx series. I would like to test it and see if I can make it work. However, there seems to be a ROM...
  13. R

Some Tandy systems for sale from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Hello, I am not affiliated in anyway to this site but I am a frequent visitor to his site being an Amiga user/collector. Anyway he has gotten some Tandy products lately ( M10, WP2, 102, etc.) that someone here might be interested. Here is the link if interested...
  14. R

Booting a Kaypro10 without HD?

I have a Kaypro 10 which I acquired almost couples years back but will not boot fully due to what i think is a corrupted HD or disk controller. It comes up with system errors and even trying to format the Disk Drive was a total failure. I just want to keep it up as a running unit, be able to...
  15. R

Dell 386SX..,486P built to last!

Just for discussion, we bought a few Dell 386SXs and later on Dell 486Ps when we started using Windows 3.0. Since my place of work has been Dell workhouse up to the present, I can readily say the the old ones outlasts the new ones. Up until 2013, we had 2 of the Dell units running 24/7 (running...
  16. R

Kaypro 4 for sale on Craigslist - Vancouver (not mine)

Hello, I was just browsing thru our local Craigslist and found 1 Kaypro item for sale: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bnc/sys/4270812924.html I believe this one is in working condition. I purchased (sometime ago - a Kaypro10 for the same price -- only to find out that the HD is not...
  17. R

Transfer K10HDFMT.com file - from PC to Kaypro10 CP/M disk

I have a Kaypro10 with the HDD not booting from it. I looked all over the Internet ways to format (low level) it. I have used Dave Dunfield's image disks without success. I have used Teledisk and IMD files to create the CP/M disks. My last resort to try is maybe this K10HDFMT file will work...
  18. R

ReFurbishing Compaq Portable III and problems encountered so far.

Hello again , I started on another thread where I asked about Using MSDOS instead of staying with the Compaq DOS3.31. I tried some of the suggestions but ended using a floppy boot disk for now. My boot disk includes attaching a Microsolutions BackPack so I am able to use my DOS Utilites/Program...
  19. R

Loading MS-DOS 3.3 on Compaq Portable III instead of keeping Compaq's DOS 3.31

Hello, I just got lucky picking up a Compaq Portable III (includes the expansion pack) last week for (I think) is a reasonable price ($30 CDN). Aside from a disintegrating keyboard cable insulators, the unit boots up from its built-in 20MB drive. It boots up on Compaq DOS 3.31 but to my...
  20. R

Replacements for 'blowing' rice-paper capacitors on Osborne1

Couple of weeks ago, I picked up an Osborne1 for $20 and today, I decided to refurbish (clean and lubricate) the floppy drives which were failing to read the CPM system disk. After spending some time, I was busy copying the system disk when suddenly a 'big' smoke came sizzling out of the P/s...
Back