• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Trixter

PicoMEM Project : Pi Pico on an ISA Board.

Forums are good for ensuring the information discussed can be found by search engines. Google etc. cannot archive the information discussed in a discord server. When using google to search for "picomem", the top results are forums. So, you might want to post regular updates somewhere that...
  2. Trixter

Doom8088: Doom on a 286 / 8088

Even more reason to rename it Doom16, as that applies to both 8088 and 286.
  3. Trixter

PCjr Monitor Question

Better late than never? I calibrated one of my best PCjr monitors for a recent video I did, and finally took some shots for you with one of my best lenses: The last one has the hash (#) marks you were miffed you couldn't see clearly. Neither can I, but it has a 0.43 dot pitch, so of...
  4. Trixter

Trying to solve a mystery of a distant memory

Look at everything in the link Plasma posted; that would be every adventure/fantasy that came out on CDROM before 1996, so maybe they will jog your memory.
  5. Trixter

Trying to solve a mystery of a distant memory

That's not enough information to identify the game, sorry. There were hundreds of cardboard+plastic jewelcase shareware/shovelware games in the 90s. You'd have to provide at least something else.
  6. Trixter

mTCP NetDrive: network attached storage for DOS 2.0 or better

Congrats on 1.0. I'm out of time tonight but I really look forward to testing this in the near future.
  7. Trixter

Doom8088: Doom on a 286 / 8088

I applaud the effort, but I do have one request: Since there is no way it will ever run acceptably on an 8088, is there any chance the name of the project could be changed to something much more representative of its tooling and plausible targets? Doom16 would be a much better name...
  8. Trixter

Noticed in the forum you had the 1.00.00 BIOS ROM that you upgraded when you were testing an...

Noticed in the forum you had the 1.00.00 BIOS ROM that you upgraded when you were testing an XT-IDE with your Tandy 1000 -- would you still happen to have the 1.00.00 BIOS ROM? It's not floating around on the internet, and a group of friends and I are trying to reverse-engineer the...
  9. Trixter

Plantronics 256 Color Mode (Technically Likely Less, but I didn't calculate the pal, I captured it)

Oh wow! Even the AT&T DEB is here. Thanks so much for finding this, now I have something to test my Quadcolor II with!
  10. Trixter

Sales numbers for the IBM PC 5150? (or: What was behind the PCjr decision?)

People didn't do that, but they did with the PCjr (or at least that's what IBM intended people do), which is what the GOP was referring to, I thought.
  11. Trixter

But that's exactly what many people did with their new home computer (8-bit generation, which was the generation the PCjr was taking design cues from). I have many memories of going to friends' houses to use their computers (we grew up unable to afford one until late 84) and they were in the...
  12. Trixter

It was definitely a failure in terms of success in the marketplace, profitability, and brand optics (IBM looked foolish for some of the poor design choices). Of course the system was useful to many people, some using it well into the 1990s (with expansions) for the original purposes they bought...
  13. Trixter

There was no modest profit :-) My research indicates that IBM wrote off at least 45 million dollars in unsold PCjr inventory, which was between 100K and 350K units depending on which source you think is more accurate. In September 1985 they introduced an employee discount of an expanded PCjr...
  14. Trixter

I don't have specifics on that, but talking with one of the engineers I was surprised to learn that the entire engineering team, minus the project leader, was aged 22-25 -- maybe it was just inexperience? This is true. I don't care one way or the other; if it's 1983, I have some material to...
  15. Trixter

I've asked someone on the PCjr engineering team to answer this, but there are some references online of 1982 being correct: https://www.filfre.net/2013/07/the-unmaking-and-remaking-of-sierra-on-line/ mentions that Sierra was asked late 1982 to develop software for it...
  16. Trixter

I am planning on mentioning all this -- but briefly, not in acute detail, as what I'm working on is for the masses. If I go too far into the weeds, I'll lose them :-) I agree lack of DMA was not a huge deal in terms of overall system operation, but floppy transfer rates are definitely slower...
  17. Trixter

I originally did this research in 2013 and unfortunately I've lost the source for it, but it was very clear that design started in February 1982. That said, the more I think about it, the more it makes sense it would have been 1983, so I'll try to find my source for that. As for the rest of...
  18. Trixter

I'm doing some research for a video and part of that is figuring out why IBM made the decision in February 1982 to develop a home computer (what eventually became the PCjr). I think crazy sales numbers is the obvious answer, and there are plenty of sales numbers for the IBM PC over its...
  19. Trixter

Progam Intel C

If you have no dongle for this copy of the program, your chances of getting it to run have dropped to nearly zero. Sorry.
  20. Trixter

IBM PC/AT Memory Allocation Question

Agreed. It's just not practical or useful on that platform. Maybe it's for odd bragging rights or something? The bigger brag IMO is GeoWorks Ensemble on an XT, because it's actually useful and technically more impressive. Somewhat ironically, the only benefit I get out of Windows 3.0 on XTs...
Back