• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Trixter

Sales numbers for the IBM PC 5150? (or: What was behind the PCjr decision?)

I'm doing some research for a video and part of that is figuring out why IBM made the decision in February 1982 to develop a home computer (what eventually became the PCjr). I think crazy sales numbers is the obvious answer, and there are plenty of sales numbers for the IBM PC over its...
  2. Trixter

A DOS TSR for providing sound and lights for solid-state drives

(I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, so in General it goes; apolgies if this isn't the correct place) I wrote a progam for vintage DOS computing that I thought the VCFed PC/DOS crowd might be interested in: It's called SOFTHDDI, and it monitors disk activity and provides an alternate...
  3. Trixter

tvdog file archive updated

I've been hosting tvdog's archive of Tandy 1000 files and information for going on 25 years now, but it was only last year that FTP support was removed from broswers. I've just updated the web pages at http://www.oldskool.org/guides/tvdog to reflect that; when you click on a filename, you'll...
  4. Trixter

Email notifications truncate body text at 160 characters

Prior to the forum upgrade, email notifications for new posts contained the full text of the post. After the upgrade, the email notifications appear to truncate at, or near, 160 characters. This limits the usefulness of the email notifications, as there isn't enough context to make a...
  5. Trixter

Email transport has bad DNS and is getting flagged as spam

After the forum upgrade -- and I'm assuming it was also a server move, as you'll see shortly -- email sent from the forum is getting flagged as spam because DNS isn't set up properly somewhere in the chain. I'm seeing this in my spamassassin headers now: 0.9 SPF_HELO_SOFTFAIL SPF: HELO does...
  6. Trixter

Multi-quote is not functioning correctly

The forum software appears to support multi-quoting, where you can click on the "quote" button next to multiple posts, and the quoted post text appears in the editing window for further editing and replying. However, this functionality is broken: The first click of the Quote button works, but...
  7. Trixter

Resizing of images / image attachments isn't functioning

When attempting to insert an image into a post using the Image button, if the image is larger than the forum's limits (256KB per image, 1280x1024 resolution), the upload is denied. In the older forum, there was a facility (I recall the exact method, sorry) to have the forum resize the image...
  8. Trixter

Need a condensed theme for the site

We should have more themes to pick from for the site than just the default theme, as the default theme wastes a lot of vertical whitespace. The default theme for the site uses a fixed minimum amount of vertical whitespace no matter how small the post/reply is: This makes sparse threads very...
  9. Trixter

Seen: Complete Xerox 6060 setup

Seen here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/402682170078 I'm not the seller, but this system is in completely functional and excellent cosmetic condition with full manuals/software. So, if you wanted to collect another Olivetti M24 variant, here's your chance. Price is a little high, but is fair...
  10. Trixter

Seen: 6300 with monitor and keyboard in working condition

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324420685565 Current bid is $69 which is a complete steal for this system in working condition. If you live near the Bronx, you can pick it up and avoid the shipping costs.
  11. Trixter

Seen: Color AT&T 6300 monitor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254782234309 Not my auction, but I have three already and don't need a 4th. Anyone who has a 6300, Xerox 6060, or Olivetti M24 can directly use this monitor.
  12. Trixter

Grid 1520 component list? Maintenance manual?

I have a Grid 1520 (LCD screen, unfortunately) that worked perfectly up until a week ago when something went pop. I'm assuming I'll have to take apart the PSU and see what failed, but before I do that, has anyone put together a components/parts list of common things to replace? For that...
  13. Trixter

Tandy 8-bit IDE series (TL, RL): Do CF adapters work?

(Having hosted the Tandy 1000 FAQ for many years, and able to use search engines, you'd think I'd be able to find the answer to this... but after 30 minutes of searching, I figured I'd just ask people who have been through this already:) I have a functional Tandy TL/2 with a semi-functional...
  14. Trixter

Virtual VCF Midwest is ON for this weekend!

Wait a second, there's a VCF Midwest event happening? Yes! Please join us Saturday for a virtual vintage computer festival with video presentations, all-day open chat, and general movement of electrons. For more information, including the speaker schedule, visit http://vcfmw.org/virtual.html...
  15. Trixter

Olivetti M24 (and 6300/6060/1600 rebrands) 48/96 TPI Floppy Drives

No question or plea for help here, just some observations. In restoring my Olivetti M24 this weekend, I was reminded how that system (aka AT&T 6300, aka Xerox 6060, aka Logabax 1600) shipped with drives that could operate at either 48 TPI or 96 TPI. On the 6300 and 6060, the documentation...
  16. Trixter

An incompatibility list for the Olivetti M24, AT&T 6300, Xerox 6060, Logabax 1600

I've been doing some restoration work with my 6300s and thought I'd define a list of oddities and issues I've seen over the years. These are valid for any of the four systems in the title of this thread, as they are all the same system, but I'll refer to them . In no particular order: If you...
  17. Trixter

Do cheaper USA-to-international shipping options exist other than the USPS?

I am trying to ship one of my IBM 5153s (CGA CRT monitor) from the USA to a friend in Israel. I assumed USPS was the cheapest, so I looked up the price and was shocked to learn that the USPS, for a 36-pound 24"x18"x24" box, wants nearly $600 to ship to Israel! Assuming for the moment that I...
  18. Trixter

Do cheaper international shipping options exist than the USPS?

I am trying to ship one of my 5153s to a friend in Israel (who attempted to do the same, only to find ebay's GSP had pulverised it into plastic and glass shards). I assumed USPS was the cheapest, so I looked up the price and was shocked to learn that the USPS, for a 36-pound 24"x18"x24" box...
  19. Trixter

RETRO TECH: MACINTOSH video on youtube (and a reverse history lesson for old people)

So I ran across this today (do not watch without reading the entire post first): ...and, once I'd re-learned to keep my stomach acid where it belongs, found it to be a very interesting lesson in how generational gaps affect the perception of reality: For younger people, the video is a look...
  20. Trixter

Request: Relax the restrictions on photo uploading and processing

Because this forum processes all photo attachments and inline images to JPEG at a very small resolution, the end result is that the forum's use of pictures is not very useful. So, people have been turning to outside image hosting to host their images. Unfortunately, most of those hosting...
Back