• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Wang Professional

Your method for recreating the diskettes is how I did it originally. When I got my first Wang Pro (like 2014? 2015?) I found Wang MS DOS 2.11 disk images and wrote them with rawrite for DOS, it booted right up. The first disk image in your System 2.01 set starts with a jump instruction and...
  2. S

Wang Professional

Beautiful. I have good news, in that I have a binary image of the Quantum Q540 that was in mine. I archived the transitions file and the extracted data, which looks legit. It will go on archive.org and be shared but first I want to make sure I get any personal documents off - so does anyone...
  3. S

Using machines as they were vs. with modern "upgrades"

Generally I do my best to be time period correct - I pick a date (which may be when the machine was new or say 5 years later), and the type of user, then build/setup the machine like that. When I flick the switch I like that machine to represent a moment in time or a story. But that's just my...
  4. S

Wang Professional

I've been useless/slack/slow at archiving :( but I do have a Wang Pro loaded with Word Perfect, Lotus 123 etc. I stopped using it so I could take the time to find a reliable way to backup the data. I recently just got an MFM emulator, and was going to use that to archive the drive. The machine...
  5. S

IBM JX Information Page

Awesome, I love these things. I have/had three: My good JX is Australian with 384KB RAM (base + 2 memory cards in expansion unit) and three floppy drives. I have expansion unit #19 with a 5.25" floppy installed as C drive. My first was a non-diskette model, with no cluster adapter, it came with...
  6. S

Kermit compatibility

I have a Wang PC I need to back up, The Wang PC isn't 100% IBM compatible, as such I need to be sure whatever transfer program I use needs to run correctly. but I read that in Kermit 2.26 they added support for the the Wang PC. Does anyone know if the later versions like 3.14 are still capable...
  7. S

Microsync dClock

This is a battery backed up clock that goes between an 8088 CPU and the socket. I've put a new battery in mine, but I've not been able to get it to work using common programs. Does anyone have the driver for this thing? It's pretty neat, and would go well in one of my 640KB XT's that don't...
  8. S

Model A on ebay cheap

Found it, Quadram Quadboard on https://electricthrift.com/2013/03/31/quadboard-by-quadram/ Image from that page attached, note the attachment box accessory which must've come with some Quadboards
  9. S

Bracket for 5160 Dual HDDs

Not my picture, but this is what the original pairs look like: I too never took any photos but have two systems using the original brackets.
  10. S

IBM BIOS wont start after 640K mod

I'll just list what's happened with this board: - Perfectly working 64-256KB motherboard I had as a spare - RAM and ROM and U84 taken from very bad condition 640KB board - E2 soldered - No start, so used Supersoft/Landmark ROM, found bad RAM chips and replaced. A0000 OK, including self-refresh...
  11. S

Bizarre sulfur damaged IBM PC XT

I just purchased it for the case, so I'm not fussed about it's dead motherboard, but thought it was interesting. So the machine came with: - IBM Model M from 1986, with black XT cable, and no LEDs (so sold with a late model XT). - Newer BIOS fitted with IBM stickers, that you'd normally see on...
  12. S

Intel releases new 8086 CPU!

Quick ramble about mine..... Using auto settings, the system was stable and didn't overheat at 5Ghz across all six cores with Prime95 @ 100%. But other than bragging rights I don't really need an overclock and the voltage was higher than I was comfortable with - so it's back at defaults. I was...
  13. S

Intel releases new 8086 CPU!

I'm almost two weeks late to this party, but wanted to mention that I was stupid enough to purchase one of these - and an entire new setup. I'm having a Z370 motherboard BIOS flashed right now so I can install it (just got a text saying it's ready to pickup - yey). Six cores, each guaranteed to...
  14. S

Xebec in expansion unit issues

Ok, so I'm done with it and it's working well enough that I'll just cross my fingers and hope it doesn't get worse. Final changes were to use an ST11M and moving the network card to the main system unit. ST11M - seems to only work with some drives, I have two ST412's with bad sectors - one...
  15. S

Monroe 80186

On a local auction site a Monroe 80186 PC (~1983/1984) has popped up that appears to be in working condition. It's the kind of neato thing I'd love in my collection, but not if I can't do anything with it. It is supposed to run CP/M or MS DOS but clearly it's a non-standard architecture and...
  16. S

Xebec in expansion unit issues

I'll update this again later when I've had a second go at it. So I got my 5161 expansion unit running, but with an original (Variation #1 on minuszerodegrees) Xebec controller and ST412 the system will 99% of the time hang the machine if a drive is connected. If I disconnect the control cable...
  17. S

IBM Extender Card

I purchased a 5161 in mint condition with sender/receiver cards, and have a 62 pin cable coming from the US right now. But unfortunately one of the cards turned out to be a serial board! So I'm kind of stuck. Does anyone have an Extender card laying about to save my hopes and dreams? PayPal...
  18. S

Looking for AOS / BSD4.3 for IBM RT

I'd like to pull out my IBM RT sometime soon and give it the once over. Rather than reinstall AIX again and be limited to whatever IBM put on the disks, I was hoping to try AOS (a.k.a. IBM 4/3, based off BSD 4.3) but I can't find it. I also read on the old newsgroups that people were working on...
  19. S

what is the weirdest piece of hardware/software in your possession?

Well it's hardware, but more of a system than an accessory. Some of you have probably already seen me talk about this before, but since it's back on the workbench... FileNet Cluster Workstation - 68020 main CPU - 16MB RAM - 4 x video cards with 512KB VRAM and 68000 CPUs - 4 x 25" high...
  20. S

Linux/BSD for 4 floppy drives

Just after some suggestions here, I'm planning to use a 386 or 486 (or whatever is needed) + primary and secondary (separate) floppy controllers. Ideally I want to be able to: - ssh or telnet in - support the secondary floppy controller - be able to "dd" raw images to various formats - able to...
Back