• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

Kermit compatibility

I have a Wang PC I need to back up, The Wang PC isn't 100% IBM compatible, as such I need to be sure whatever transfer program I use needs to run correctly. but I read that in Kermit 2.26 they added support for the the Wang PC. Does anyone know if the later versions like 3.14 are still capable...
  2. S

Microsync dClock

This is a battery backed up clock that goes between an 8088 CPU and the socket. I've put a new battery in mine, but I've not been able to get it to work using common programs. Does anyone have the driver for this thing? It's pretty neat, and would go well in one of my 640KB XT's that don't...
  3. S

IBM BIOS wont start after 640K mod

I'll just list what's happened with this board: - Perfectly working 64-256KB motherboard I had as a spare - RAM and ROM and U84 taken from very bad condition 640KB board - E2 soldered - No start, so used Supersoft/Landmark ROM, found bad RAM chips and replaced. A0000 OK, including self-refresh...
  4. S

Bizarre sulfur damaged IBM PC XT

I just purchased it for the case, so I'm not fussed about it's dead motherboard, but thought it was interesting. So the machine came with: - IBM Model M from 1986, with black XT cable, and no LEDs (so sold with a late model XT). - Newer BIOS fitted with IBM stickers, that you'd normally see on...
  5. S

Monroe 80186

On a local auction site a Monroe 80186 PC (~1983/1984) has popped up that appears to be in working condition. It's the kind of neato thing I'd love in my collection, but not if I can't do anything with it. It is supposed to run CP/M or MS DOS but clearly it's a non-standard architecture and...
  6. S

Xebec in expansion unit issues

I'll update this again later when I've had a second go at it. So I got my 5161 expansion unit running, but with an original (Variation #1 on minuszerodegrees) Xebec controller and ST412 the system will 99% of the time hang the machine if a drive is connected. If I disconnect the control cable...
  7. S

IBM Extender Card

I purchased a 5161 in mint condition with sender/receiver cards, and have a 62 pin cable coming from the US right now. But unfortunately one of the cards turned out to be a serial board! So I'm kind of stuck. Does anyone have an Extender card laying about to save my hopes and dreams? PayPal...
  8. S

Looking for AOS / BSD4.3 for IBM RT

I'd like to pull out my IBM RT sometime soon and give it the once over. Rather than reinstall AIX again and be limited to whatever IBM put on the disks, I was hoping to try AOS (a.k.a. IBM 4/3, based off BSD 4.3) but I can't find it. I also read on the old newsgroups that people were working on...
  9. S

Linux/BSD for 4 floppy drives

Just after some suggestions here, I'm planning to use a 386 or 486 (or whatever is needed) + primary and secondary (separate) floppy controllers. Ideally I want to be able to: - ssh or telnet in - support the secondary floppy controller - be able to "dd" raw images to various formats - able to...
  10. S

Source for ODI drivers or Interlan NI5210 driver?

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a large collection of ODI drivers for ISA network cards? Something that isn't easily found on google? (I've spent 2 hours on google). I'm specifically looking for NI5210.com - but not the Cygwin packet driver. Being a fairly well supported card...
  11. S

Wang PC Software (new arrival)

Just had a very large box of disks arrive, for the Wang Professional, Wang VS, and PC200/PC300 series computers. Normally I wouldn't list things like this, but being a semi-obscure set of machines, finding original stuff for these is quite a challenge. I wont link their contents here (except...
  12. S

Taiwan 8088 memory failure on Bank 1 - what did I miss?

So I had a spare Turbo 8088 style board laying about - just another Taiwan special. Anyway in the process of building an XT with it, I noticed it had 512KB of RAM on board but the RAM test only showed 256KB. This isn't the end of the world because in the end a jumper switch + an AST Six Pak...
  13. S

SMD Electrolytic Capacitors Corrosion

Just a quick question guys. I've got two Commodore PC-50 386 era machines here, neither run and it's very clear why. Around every SMD electrolytic nearby components/solder/traces have been attacked by corrosion. The caps are replaceable - but I was concerned about the damage, each one was like...
  14. S

Toshiba T5200/100 with CP30174E

As part of a recent haul I got a T5200/100 with a seized hard drive. I got it freed up and it runs great except the drive fails to write 90% of the time. I looked around and didn't have a spare CP3104E laying about and didn't want to downgrade to my spare CP344, which turned out to have quite a...
  15. S

DTK 8088 questions

Started diagnosing another DTK turbo clone, and wanted to make a thread for my stupid questions :) My first question is regarding the ROM setup. These boards (I have 3) allow you to configure the ROM for 2764 or 27128 or 27256 by moving/soldering a chip socket. My others are all set for 27256...
  16. S

IBM RT data retreival with QIC-02 tapes

I just need a nudge in the right direction here. So I've got the RT with AIX 2.1 - it has commands like backup/restore and tar etc which I can use to backup files to tape and I've done so in the past successfully. But now I've got another 150MB tape drive + QIC02 controller coming which is...
  17. S

WTD: Visual 200 Terminal parts / information

Happy to purchase for $$$ : - Visual 200 reference - with circuit diagrams / repair information - Visual 200 PCB and/or some original ROMs (working or non-working) - Visual 200 CRT board (if known to be working) I'm also interested in photos of the PCB from a working system - I need to be sure...
  18. S

XT High Density floppy confusion

I'm doing an XT build with a 286 processor (kind of like a Tandy TL/2 setup). It came with a HD FDC with a Boot ROM which is able to auto detect 80 or 40 track drives on startup. However it's acting completely bizarre. MS DOS 3.3 knows Drive A is 80 track, on a few random occasions instead of...
  19. S

Golden Star 8088 and two 5150 boards

After setting myself up a new workbench with lots of room (plus a few new tools) I decided to have a crack at these three motherboards. These are motherboards I've attempted to investigate earlier, but got put in the 'too hard, deal with it later' box. None of these are absolutely critical...
  20. S

TCP/IP NetBEUI and NWLite

Short Version: How can I get modern Linux to mount a file system on a computer running MS DOS? Long Version So I've got all my XT's, and 286's feeding off a 10Base2 NWLite network. This works great, and the machines can run software direct from the network share without any available memory...
Back