• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. W

no answer? comand prompt at bootub

there are possibly better places to ask BUT my main pc ( this one0 boots up to win xp and after the desktop appears a few seconds later a black box "file not found c:\windows\system32> exit or clicking on the red close x removes it. I have no idea whay causes this I asked bob cerelli ( windows...
  2. W

newer system different problem ntfs to fat

First I have saved many of my old files on several hard drisks ( oopied from fading cd;'s) since win xp tends to get screwed up,. Icopied and cloned a few extra drives using 10g and 20gb drives as an os.. I fond a working install from last august. thought all the older ones were lost. It is...
  3. W

cpm software

I have acopy of nyacg pc-blue cd which has cm.m and early dos programs
  4. W

off topic usb printer how to make it work

i was told "we had usb printers working with xp) Ithink it is likely this very nice fast 1200 dpi laser printer should eb sween but there must be something I have not dicovered. it took a week toswitch it from spanish to englichthe printing is still spanish,but it has no parallel; port I...
  5. W

usb driver ( works) for 98 and 98se

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php remove otrher drivers choose either 98 or 98se works fointel 82440lx/ex chip set r my chaintech 6eas with the intel I was uinable toget the chipset driver but other mb manuf. may have it. hope this helps. there is a service pack (...
  6. W

chaintech not helpful

digging in a box we found a chaintech amd based vnf4 motherboard. I can dind a review with detailed information. But a manual or drivers? when Chaintech pleaded " it is a discontinued part." I told them that it would cost NOTHING to keep it ion the website. That customers would judge a company...
  7. W

Been busy for a while

my last "experiment here:" was to patch win mE.,- try not to say " why bother" I tried the suggestions after patching and I could not get it to sys or format /s a floppy. I do not know it can be done. after installing the boot files from 98 and trying to put mE files back unsucsesfully and...
  8. W

windows me real dos stupidity

maybe this is not QUITE vinatge. BUT. and maybe I have too much time on my hands. I was going thry my bootdisks and changing those that are strange self-extractors to a better scheme that lets me see what is in them. I had previousy done 6.22 This time I started with win me. I discovered that...
  9. W

folderorganiser a way to unnest subdirectories

this program was suggested to me on photo.net. as they accumulate lots of picture files and the current windows tools are pretty clunky. this should be a useful tool for everytone running windows. but something for DOS would be preferred. IS this something everyone has neglected to be aware of...
  10. W

wordstar and it's history

this time I checked the title I have a lon-ish text file about wordstar history some rare versions are listed by name might vbe a way to find them ?
  11. W

device only works with a 486 boit a slow pentium

I WISH i COULD EDIT THE TITLE DOES NOT WORK WITH A PENTIUM ONLY A 486 I got a call from someone who tells me that he has a serial semiconductor testing device, it works with a 486. but not on any pentium. He argues that a serial port is a serial port. I countered that a 486 will have a isa...
  12. W

old software for dos and windows

for a long time I kept a copy of wordstar professional 4.0 ( dos 1987) on my newer pc. I was used to it and used the column mode. I never printed with it. although HP printers are backwards compatible. Meaning if you have a LJ II or a LJ 6 or a inkjet 520, and tell wordstar you have som other...
  13. W

combination cd dos windows 21 mouse from Micron.

I tested the cd that was sent me. sorry it is windows 311 I cannot edit the title nor delete the thread and start over it has an empty root directory., there was no autorun at that time. three directories dos ( 6.22) mouse and windows (3,11) the dos files are not compressed as they are on the...
  14. W

iTS REALLY AN AMD WITH WIN 98

after I had got to a certain point with the gateway 486, i needed a newer mb to boot from cd and clear a nasty virus from anything. ( hiren's older versions put you at no risk of re-infection) after everything was cleared. I noticed the hard drive mounted in the old ( my last remaining...
  15. W

promise isa eide max enhanced ide controller

Just got a response from Promise. they have no docs or info in EIDE MAX isa card. it is a HD only controller. and some whetre someplace I may have a manual. I will set it aside until i find an answer. it has been intersting.
  16. W

gateway 2000 486 sx25 " mini desktop"

that;s the model " mini desktop" is there a support page or a hobbyist page for this pc. it is a slim desktop I - right now am using it to test ram but cannot get it to boot I looked for some utils to auto-=detect the ide drive. but I cannot get it to see a floppy. when i brought it in fromn...
  17. W

testing all my 72 pin ram exercising a 486sx

I dug back in the garage not the heart of the pile but the side of the pile My quest: a working 486 with 72 pin sockets so I could test ram one stick at a time. I had another HP vectra pc but after several hours and fiddling I decided the boot up was too hard to see.also the vga port had a...
  18. W

central point pc-tools as a tsr

I just had to explain TSR to someone I have pc-tools 5.5-old dos version- I am about to set up the old dos based system and have forgotten how to make it a TSR I know there is na line added to the startup files and two hotkeys the readme with these files does not cover this does anybody have...
  19. W

Iomega zip 100 dumb company

after searching the www. and fimnally leaving an email at IOMEGA. that answered. the link requires me to open an account and or refister. BUT all I wanted to know what were the parameters hds cyl etc of a zip 100. IDE. I cannot even get back to my question! I must register to join the free...
  20. W

unlisted 486 vlb

I went to motherboard.org to look this up and it was not there PL3486PQ3 V10 If it works it is available for adoption 8 20 pin menory sockets 10 big -long dip sockets 4 4 and 2 with 2 soldered chips 2 8 bit card 5 16 bit isa sockets 3 are also VLB there is a pair of solder pade in the lower...
Back