• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

Can anyone Id these terminals?

Hi, I am talking with a friend who has several terminals that I am interested in buying and there is this Farrington terminal that I cant find anything about. Does anyone know *anything* about this terminal? Is it current loop or RS-232? The year made? I'm pretty she has the keyboard for it too...
  2. J

Can anyone tell me what this is?

I saw this the other day and I can't figure out what the heck it is? Best I could figure is that its some sort of system for airline reservations or controlling one of those custom terminals. More pictures coming soon.
  3. J

Help with Teledisk?

I wasn't sure weather I should post this under the CP/M section or the IBM PC section but because I am trying to do this on a IBM I figured I would put this here for now... Does anyone know how I can make a boot disk for my Kaypro ii with a ROM version 81-146? I have a IBM PC right now...
  4. J

e-mail client for the PC

Does anyone know if there is a email client for DOS that will run on my XT and support multiple accounts? I have a Gmail.com account which is my main account an AOL.com account and a Freenet.de account. I would be fine if it can only support one account but I absolutely need something that will...
  5. J

640k mod not working

I did the 640k mod on my 5160 to expand it to 640k using intel p21256-10 RAM chips in banks 0-3. Fot the line selsctor.data multiplexer chip I used a Texas instruments SN74LS158N that I grabbed off eBay. My question is, where is the jumper supposed to go? E2-1 seems to be a square solder pad and...
  6. J

What cable do I need?

I'm back... I am getting a Hayed optima 14400 modem and I have a asynchronous communications card in my 5160. Is it possible to hook the modem the the card if I changed it to RS-232C instead of current loop? If so what sort of cable would I need? (could someone point me to an eBay listing?) If...
  7. J

Vc bbs!

I know this forum has a IRC channel but had anyone thought of some how making a live mirror of the forums avalable as a BBS for use on vintage computers? I think it would be pretty cool!
  8. J

IBM I/O typewriter

Does anyone know if IBM ever made a I/O terminal out of the "personal typewriter"? I have one and I love mine its got all of the benefits of the II and the III! It would probably be good because of it's smaller size so long as you didn't want to print on large paper, and if the mechanics are up...
  9. J

Capability's of a s-100 system

I am seriously contemplating building a s-100 system, but I need to know will there be any way to use a 8088 and will it be possible to run a DOS on it because I know NOTHING about C/PM. I am basically looking to build a s-100 system that will *hopefully* be somewhat compatible with some DOS...
  10. J

The IMSAI Series Two Computer

Anyone ever see one of these? Seems like a GREAT idea, I wish it was in production. Looks like something I would see from Briel computers. http://www.retrothing.com/2005/08/the_imsai_serie.html P.S. If anyone has a PC case that I could put a modern computer in that is styled like one of the...
  11. J

XT-FDC project level of interest

12. J

programs that use the 8087

Anyone know of any games or programs that use the 8087 co-processor besides Lotus 123 and auto cad?
  13. J

You're ultimate 5160 (revised edition)

I know there have been a few threads like this before but this is different hence the "revised edition" This thread is for people to post what they think (or is) would be their ultimate 8088 machine. :cool: Here is my ultimate IBM 5160 Slot 1:XT-FDC Slot 2: Ethernet card Slot 3: IBM game...
  14. J

mice

Two years ago, I discovered what a great thing optical mice were--nothing like being a decade or two behind the times, is there?
  15. J

Sentient 5150's Thoughts...........

(Sentient 5150's Thoughts...........) 1..........2..........4...........8...........ummm m...........16.............(5 minutes later)..........64......................ok, now what the heck is this thing (looks at 16 bit IDE multi-I/O card)...ah, screw it...."BEEP". (Drive Seek...
  16. J

mtcp telnet locking-up

First off, let me say that I enjoy mtcp very much and use IRC and telnet almost every day. A few days ago I telneted into a ddial system (RMAC) it connected it got to the ATDT9869864 and then locks up, eventually after a few minutes it will display the prompt to login but the connection has...
  17. J

Mouse ball cleaning tips?

18. J

64-256k --> 256-640k

I have an XT from November of 1984 with a 64-256k motherboard in it that I want to modify to the newer 256-640 motherboard. I ran into two small problems where can I get the 256K RAM chips and where can I get the multiplexer chip that goes in u84? I am fine with soldering (Antique electronics is...
  19. J

floppy/ram card

Just curious because I need to free up an expansion slot in my 5160 was there ever a floppy controller/RAM expansion with 384k or memory on it? I don't need any serial, parallel, or game ports I already have those taken care of.
  20. J

Confusion over tape drives and their controlles

I have two 120MB Colorado tape drives here that use a card edge connector. I have read online that these can be connected to a regular floppy controller and you use the back up software and that's it. Is that right? I don't see how it would work considering the original IBM controller is...
Back