• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

IBM 5162 XT-286 Guide to Operations

I have scanned in my IBM IBM 5162 XT-286 Guide to Operations, which is now available on minuszerodegrees.net: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm#IBM Although I did the scanning, credit also to Modem7 for creating the PDF and hosting the completed manual!
  2. D

IBM EGA Card

I'm looking for a genuine IBM EGA card to put in my AT. Must be an original IBM! The third one I've bought from eBay in as many years has also turned out to be faulty :mad:
  3. D

EGA Games and Software

I've been resurrecting my IBM 5170 today - it's been out of use for a while after the hard drive died. I've been unable to fix the original drive, it has developed hundreds of bad sectors (head crash?). It sounded rather ill anyway. I fitted a third generation 8MHz mainboard and coaxed my...
  4. D

Commodore PET 2001 problems...

After wanting one for ages, I've finally picked up a Commodore PET 2001 :cool: Unfortunately, it doesn't work... The previous owner said that it was working a couple of years ago, but he then put it in his garage... and now it boots weirdly. I do get characters on the screen, but only one...
  5. D

Another nice haul!

I've been wanting a Commodore PET 2001 for ages now, and the other day I finally bought one - sadly it doesn't work, but hey, if it was working then I wouldn't have been able to afford it. Plus I have the fun of fixing it myself :) The PET was apparently working a couple of years ago, but the...
  6. D

Just scored another XT!

I haven't posted much lately as most of my collection has been boxed away following a house move, but I haven't gone away, just been lurking and reading :) However, I have just aquired yet another XT system that certainly deserves a mention! It's a bog standard 5160-499 system... but it is...
  7. D

Spotted in TV Advert

Quite impressive that they got to display high-quality VGA graphics on a bunch of IBM 5151 mono monitors, but a nice surprise to actually see them in a TV advert :mrgreen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y5DErAHmPo
  8. D

Acorn Archimedes hard disk memory

I have a funny memory from my school days and was wondering if it really was how I remember it. We had Acorn Archimedes at school, which superseded the old BBC Micros. I am guessing this was at the very early '90s. They didn't have hard disks and all software was on floppy. There was one all...
  9. D

Problems installed AST Rampage 286 memory expansion

I am trying to install an AST Rampage 286 memory board in my IBM XT/286 (5162). The card has 2MB installed memory, and the PC has 640kB I've set the DIP switches as per the defaults on Total Hardware 99 (see above link) and set it for 2MB conventional memory at base 0218h, but the following...
  10. D

IBM 5150 - 131 error

I have a bunch of dead 5150 motherboards, so I thought that I would try and fix some of them. On one, I noticed that component TD2 (black rectangular thing) had snapped off, so I soldered on a replacement from a known dead board. After a few faulty memory chips (now solved), I have a working...
  11. D

IBM DOS and foreign keyboard layouts

I've been wondering this for a while... The IBM 5150 is an American machine, and therefore (quite understandibly) boots nativly from any DOS disk and fully recognises the US keyboard layout as standard - ie, it does not require any additional drivers for the full keyboard to function. The...
  12. D

FREE Pentium 1 base units (UK)

I think I have 3 or 4 of these. From what I can remember, they are P1 133MHz, 32MB memory, 1.6GB hard drive and floppy / CD ROM drives. Hard drives have been securely wiped, but they are complete and working. I don't really want to scrap them, so if anyone wants them they are free - however...
  13. D

RamQuest 8/16 software

I picked up a rather nice Orchid RamQuest 8/16 memory expansion board that can take up to 32MB of memory. It can work in an 8 or 16-bit ISA slot, so I could put it in my XT if I so wish! But it will end up in my 5162 for now. I have managed to find the manual online (here), but it appears...
  14. D

IBM 5161 Expansion Chassis

I've just got hold of an IBM 5161 Expansion Chassis from eBay, so naturally have a few questions to ask... I actually only have the inside components - motherboard, extender/receiver card and cable, but I will build it up in an unused XT case I have, along with an original IBM / Western Digital...
  15. D

IBM Personal Computer XT (5160)

I've listed in the VCGM ;) It's a 1986 XT with a 20MB hard drive, HH floppy, 640kB motherboard, CGA card with an IBM 5153 Colour Display. Clone keyboard - I do have the original XT one, but it's not in great shape and has a French key layout. Located in the UK, so International Shipping would...
  16. D

IBM 5150 motherboard

I have two dead 5150s, anyone with a spare, working motherboard? Thanks :D
  17. D

IBM 5150 motherboard / floppy controller / CGA-EGA cards

I am looking for the following parts to finish off a few incomplete systems I have. IBM 5150 motherboard - one or two of these would be great, as I have two dead 5150s due to motherboard problems. 64-256kB IBM CGA card for my XT - (dated 1984 if possible but not fussy!) IBM EGA card for my...
  18. D

PC/XT items on eBay

As I work through my recent haul of parts, I am getting rid of things I don't need. Also a house move means I need to clear thing out! I'll update this thread as things progress. 256-640kB XT motherboard: http://search.ebay.co.uk/110251018619 3.5" and 3" floppy drives (Amstrad PCW8256 /...
  19. D

Free 5150 chassis

I have a bare 5150 chassis, just the metal frame, no lid. It has surface rust, but is otherwise in good condition - it is not bent and stickers on the back are present. Collection from central London. I *may* post (you pay), but don't really want to. If it's not gone within a week or two...
  20. D

Parity Check 1

I'm trying to resurrect a 5150, but it has a 'Parity Check 1' message on boot. I have removed all 3 socketed banks of memory, only leaving bank 0 (which is soldered in place). On boot it shows: 0400 201 PARITY CHECK 1 From what I can work out, this is a faulty RAM chip in bank 0, and the...
Back