• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. SomeGuy

Nutronics D509V2 spinning 300RPM on low density mode

I have a Nutronics D509V2 1.2mb 5.25" drive here - the way it is jumpered it looks like it should spin at 360RPM in both density modes, but it appears to be flipping to 300RPM despite the jumper setting. I don't see any detailed information for this model out there off hand. Jumpers are: DS1...
  2. SomeGuy

Obnoxious eBay "please use our app!" popover

So lately, when I have been browsing eBeh, I have been seeing this obnoxious popover. Normally, when I see a popover like this, I just close the entire page, because obviously they don't actually want me reading their content, they just want to litter up google search results instead. At...
  3. SomeGuy

Later revision Columbia Data Products 1600 Motherboard

So, I decided acquire this Columbia Data Products motherboard off of eBay. It is interesting because it appears to be a significant redesign of the original CDP 1600 motherboard. A few specific things of note: This has a slightly later BIOS than the other boards I have seen so far. It...
  4. SomeGuy

Western Digital "Black" drives are "Gaming" drives now?

Needed a bit more hard drive space for some stupidly large stuff, so I picked up a 2TB WD Black drive at Microcenter. That is their top of the line consumer performance model with longer warranty. In the past they were just branded as a professional drive, the same as the other drives, but now...
  5. SomeGuy

Happy Halloween for IBM PC

There are animated "card" type programs for crassmas, but not so much for Halloween. So I threw together a quick and dirty batch file with a few ASCII art images ripped off of the Internet. Intended to run from floppy disk on a ~4.77mhz PC. Might help if the monitor is high persistence, so...
  6. SomeGuy

3.5" floppy 4-pin power male molex/burg connector replacement part?

I was wanting to replace the 4-pin power connectors on a couple of floppy drives. But looking at Mouser for 4-pin connectors, I see hundreds of different plastic housings with different latch types, but none that look quite like what is used on floppy drives. I'm looking at the specification...
  7. SomeGuy

Why some later PC/XT keyboards won't work on some clones

So, I've been putting my Tava computer (5150 clone) together and trying to get things set up on it, and I remembered that for whatever reason it did not like any of my XT/AT switchable keyboards. One of my Columbia Data products machines has the same issue, and was already using the one keyboard...
  8. SomeGuy

The Eagle Spirit XL

I have been spending more time than I really have restoring and setting up this Eagle PC Spirit XL. There is some information about the Eagle Spirit luggables out there, but not as much as there should be. The Eagle Spirit XL is an IBM PC compatible "lugglable" computer similar to the the...
  9. SomeGuy

VisiCorp Visi On does not like XTIDE BIOS

I've finally been messing around with something that has bugged me for a while, I could never get VisiCorp Visi On to run from an XT-IDE or even when an XT-IDE BIOS is present. For anyone who does not know, Visi On is a GUI for the IBM PC that pre-dated Windows. Visi On is already very picky...
  10. SomeGuy

Axial capacitors are getting expensive

I haven't been watching prices or anything, but I am looking at replacing capacitors on a power supply, and was startled by some of the prices for axial capacitors. Even some of the larger radial capacitors seem a bit pricey now. Obviously axial capacitors are not used as frequently and are even...
  11. SomeGuy

Source for XR22-908-03A chips for capacitive keyboard?

Just thought I would ask, does anyone know of a source for XR22-908-03A (Or XR22-908-03B or XR22-908-03 which I think should functionally be the same) keyboard sense chips? Trying to repair a machine-specific capacitive keyboard. It looks like someone on eBay UK is selling some, but they don't...
  12. SomeGuy

Teac FD-55B-01-U fails when grounded

Any thoughts about this? I have a system with a FD-55B-01-U 360k floppy drive, and the drive works fine when it is outside of the system but fails to read disks when it is installed in to the system. At first I thought it was one of those "heisenbugs", but I have narrowed it down to some sort...
  13. SomeGuy

Miniscribe 3012 won't low level format

This one has me a little puzzled. I recently acquired a machine with a Miniscribe 3012 half height MFM hard drive operated by an Adaptec ACB 2002 (the OEM version with a custom BIOS, not the 2002A). The drive appears to be full of bad sectors everywhere and is probably FUBAR, but it spins up...
  14. SomeGuy

Darn power connectors never work right for me

Over the years I have had the exact same problem with a number of different computers where various 4-pin Molex connectors, and 4-pin floppy connectors seem to just refuse to make proper contact. This happens with floppy drives, hard drives, and other devices. I have one machine right here...
  15. SomeGuy

Looking for advice about neighbor's sound reduction system

I'm hoping someone here can at least point me in the right direction about this. Recently my downstairs neighbor has installed SOMETHING that vibrates all of the floors in my condo units so badly I get dizzy and can hardly stand up on the floor. Given that she is normally quite noisy and TV...
  16. SomeGuy

Early Revision Columbia Data Product 1600 motherboard

Just wanted to document this before I start messing with it. I obtained this CDP 1600 motherboard off of eBeh. Looks to be an early revision. There is a revision code "8251" printed on the board and the date codes of the chips I can make out all seem to be no later than 82. The ROMS appear to...
  17. SomeGuy

Altex Scientific schematics

Does anyone know what these Altex Scientific schematics are from? It looks like some kind of data collection device or perhaps motor control. The analog sheet mentions position sensor feedback, sample pulse, position sensor ref, position sensor sig, ps reset, servo osc, and servo rdy. The...
  18. SomeGuy

Dead Laser 128 - no floppy drives work

Crap... was messing with the Laser 128 I was going to take to VCFSE tomorrow and it looks like it up and died. Symptoms: When powered on the drive spins but does not do the usual seek, and will not boot. It will not boot from an external 3.5" drive. When I load up prodos via ATDPRO and tell it...
  19. SomeGuy

Apple II Geos on 3.5" floppy disk?

Quick question, was Apple II Geos ever available on 3.5" disks? Is it possible to install it to 3.5" disks?
  20. SomeGuy

Best way to test expansion RAM on a Laser 128?

What is the best way to test the 256k-1mb RAM expansion card in a Laser 128 computer? I can format it as a RAM disk, and it "verifies" in Copy II Plus, but that clearly doesn't test anything. I can put files in there that seems to work, but I want to make sure it is all working 100% reliably...
Back