• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

TTL Logic Analyzer Recommendations?

But ... we all know that "working" means that the pilot light goes on! Or just _maybe_ a default display lights up. No magic smoke lost, anyway ... maybe.
  2. P

PDP11 - RX01 Writing disks

And Bitsavers has the SDC-RXV31 manual if you are curious: http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sigmaInformationSystems/400255-C_SDC-RXV31_Floppy_Ctrl_Man_Aug86.pdf
  3. P

PDP11 - LSI11/02 and RQDX3

5 Thumping (aka Whopping) MB!
  4. P

Getting hold of a V9938 or V9958 in 2024

What/who/where is "CSK3"?
  5. P

New England A heaping bunch of PCMCIA Wireless Network cards $12.00 + Shipping

No problem at all. My memory of a use-case must be faulty. I'll wrack it some more!
  6. P

We're here, but many public and commercial systems are no longer in operation. For example: "AT&T stopped servicing its 2G network back in 2017. Verizon Wireless phased out its 2G CDMA network at the end of 2020. Sprint sunsetted their 2G CDMA network in December of 2021. T-Mobile plans to...
  7. P

I think that I have one of those EZ Connect cards lying around; looks familiar. Isn't the wrieless network that they are designed to connect to now very dead and long gone?
  8. P

Getting hold of a V9938 or V9958 in 2024

https://www.utsource.net/ is a pretty reliable overseas source; they have several suppliers listed for both.
  9. P

Help with UNIBUS information

I agree. However once they went to the trouble of pointing out the optionality IMO they should have been more specific by establishing conditionality (just a simple asterisk and "it depends" footnote would have been fine) rather than being inconsistent within their technical documentation. A...
  10. P

The diagram seems to imply that the MLM is optional; I didn't think that was ever the case with the 11/84? Perhaps there's a missing footnote to the effect that slots 5-8 should first be populated and then "if you must" an SPC can be used instead of the MLM.
  11. P

Nicolet 1080 (MED-80) installation

Fanfold Decitek paper tape reader is at the top of the rack.
  12. P

Indeed! The lesson here is that not all hex-height modules are designed for direct use on the Unibus with PDP-11 processors. One needs to research the specific module to determine where it can be used, and how. Just seeing six tabs isn't nearly specific enough; that mechanical design was used...
  13. P

For the 11/70 it requires a whole special "box" (which isn't Unibus); see the MK11. For the 11/750 it requires a whole special computer; the L0011 controller isn't a Unibus module.
  14. P

And with the M7263 (KD11-D 11/04 processor) you can use a generic DD11 backplane ...
  15. P

Switching between two 8088 CPUs

The problem is that merely disconnecting Vcc still leaves all of the shared signals tied to GND through internal circuitry. And tied to each other through internal circuitry. This unpowered circuitry results in loads on and cross-coupling between the signal lines of the powered CPU. Unless...
  16. P

DEC units on ebay

An interesting device as it apparently uses (just) 3/4th of the Unibus controller implementation plus a variant M7269 bus control (quad-height metal-tabbed), and then an M7268 adapter (double-height) that plugs into the Qbus). You'd need to replicate two modules, plus the SU/backplane signal...
  17. P

DEC units on ebay

Although I've purchased a few ICs from them and they' seem pretty professional I seriously doubt that they have any Certified DEC Field Service personal on staff ... so I'd take that warranty as advertising boilerplate rather than a worthwhile commitment. Not to mention that they can't bother...
  18. P

Honeywell 200 resurrection

THX. On eBay the key phrase seems to be "WAXED LINEN LACING CORD"; there are a number of suppliers. Good to know. I wonder as to the significance of cotton vs. flax in an electronics application. Flax fiber is stronger, but I rather doubt critically so. Flax is apparently _more_...
  19. P

What was the excitement of your first PC?

Somewhat similar here (no option really fits). I already had programming experience on an PDP-8/L (assembly, FOCAL). I built myself a Z80 S100 machine as a basis for learning/practicing Pascal, doing word processing (Wordstar!), and preparing for the Computer Science GRE, as well as pursuing a...
Back