• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

CGA 320x200 pixel aspect ratio revisited

The literature quotes two numbers for the CGA's 320x200 pixel aspect ratio: 5:6 and 6:7. The nominal pixel aspect ratio of CGA 320x200 pixels is 5:6, "nominal" according to IBM's documentation (in the BASIC 1.10 Reference's description of the CIRCLE command, pg. 4-42). It is derived from...
  2. N

Patches for 768 KiB Tandy 1000s

The Tandy 1000 TX, TL and RL can be expanded to 768 KiB. This means that there will be 640 KiB of conventional memory, undisturbed by video memory, which gets its own 128 KiB. This would be the ideal configuration, were it not for the fact that a few games do not work on such a system, as they...
  3. N

Tandy 640x400 interlaced mode

I have dug deeper into the Tandy 1000's "Extended Addressing Mode" and noticed that the Tandys with the "Big Blue" video chip (EX, SX, HX, TX) also support interlaced true scanning. (The original IBM CGA aligned the synchronization signals always so that scanning would be progressive no matter...
  4. N

IntroJR demo modified to work properly on Tandy 1000s

... at least it should on the EX/SX/TX/HX/SL/TL/RL, but not the original Tandy 1000. (I have actually tried this only on a TX and an RL). ZIP file Maybe I'll record a video showing this running on my TX.
  5. N

Tandy 1000 RL I/O port FFEE

Since I cannot find the Tandy 1000 RL Technical Reference manual online, perhaps someone who has it could post the description of I/O port FFEE. It must have some role in memory configuration, as the RL BIOS accesses it in such a context. The TL reference manual only lists this register as...
  6. N

"Weak Disk" protections in TransCopy format

I am planning to try adding support for copy-protected PC disks to a certain popular DOS emulator box, and have begun researching the TransCopy format, because it should have all information about the disk necessary to emulate all but "laser hole" protections, and is much simpler and more...
  7. N

Two types of SQ1 black box

I don't know whether this has been mentioned somewhere else, but I just noticed something that I did not know before: there are actually two variants of the black flipbox of Space Quest 1 AGI! The earlier one, which contained game version 1.0X (dated September 1986), has a line pattern that is...
  8. N

"The Entertainer" sound card exposed

The PC version of MicroProse's Gunship in version 429.04 includes an advertisement for a sound card called "The Entertainer". Until now, no information on what it is and what it sounds like has been available. Having disassembled the game executable, it becomes obvious that The Entertainer must...
Back