• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Did ever exist an 8-bit ISA card for ATA (IDE) hard drives?

This morning I have seen in the local flea market a guy selling a 286 board with 2 ISA cards. One was an 8-bit ISA card made by Seagate. It was very similar to a MFM adapter card I have, but I noticed it had 2 40-pin connectors instead. So, I'm sure it's not for MFM drives. But, as...
  2. R

Which kind of bus is this MDA card intented for?

I post a photo of the latest card I got: It's just a regular MDA/parallel clone... except for the bus connector. It should be 8-bit ISA, but it has the 16-bit ISA extension and a 2nd very strange (and unknown for me) extension. More details about the card: - External connectors are DB-9 and...
  3. R

Help to identify missing parts in 286 board

I have a 286 board, but it has some missing parts (3 resistors and 2 transistors). I would appreciate if somebody has the same board and tell me exactly the values/ID for these parts. The board itself has no brand, but it has 2 stickers: "103FS" and "LM910901722". The 1st one is probably the...
  4. R

Powering CF to IDE adapters

Looking for a CF to IDE adapter, to replace an old hard disk in an old computer with a CF card, I have discovered a variety of models: With or without bracket (to instal in the back side of the PC), with male or female connector, with the connector straight at the edge of the card or at a right...
  5. R

Modern alternative for UV EPROMs

Hi. I would like to write a ROM BIOS extension for an old PC. The idea is to burn an EEPROM with a programmer, and to use the chip in a network ISA card. The PC will not be on any network, but it is an ISA card which I can plug in the PC and the card has a socket for a PROM. The card is a 3Com...
  6. R

Capacitor missing in Sound Blaster AWE 64

I have acquired a Sound Blaster AWE 64 (model CT4520) but after 1st visual examination I have noticed that one SMD capacitor (marked C82) is missing. It's not an optional capacitor, it is broken, there was a minimal piece hanging from its place. It is placed physically (not electrically) in...
  7. R

Yesterday cards, any use today?

Hi! Yesterday I received a Creative PCI card which turned out to be a DVD decoder. It can't display graphics on its own. It requires a VGA, connecting both cards, installing drivers (for nothing else than Windows 95), selecting the right IRQs and using a custom application (again, just for...
  8. R

3.5" floppy drive calibration/alignment

Is there any information about calibration or alignment (is it the same?) of 3.5" floppy drives? I have 2 old double-density (720 Kb) drives, and they fail reading disks written in other drives, but work perfectly with disks written in them, so I suppose they have a calibration problem. One...
  9. R

CRT colour screen with gray background and pale colours

Yesterday I was doing some research on my Amstrad 5086 XT, on DOS, and suddenly something happened on my screen and the black background turned gray (mid-gray, about 50%), and there's no way to make it black again. And all the colours look very pale. The only part in black is the border. It...
  10. R

Help with CGA/Hercules card (Yamaha chipset)

Last week I acquired an 8-bit ISA card expecting to be an EGA, but after closer examination it turned out to be a CGA/MDA/Hercules, or that's what it seems to be. I can't identify it. This should be no problem for this kind of card (usually they don't need drivers), the problem is that I'm...
  11. R

Repairing a Cyrix CPU which "almost" works on a Pentium board

I have 3 Socket 7 boards (for classic & MMX Pentiums, and clones) which work. I acquired a Pentium clone (a Cyrix 6x86) but I noticed that the 4 soldered resistors or capacitors on top of the CPU are partially or completely scratched. I tried it on 2 of the boards and they didn't run at all, so...
  12. R

Hacked Pentium board (Elpina M571)

Hi everyone! I have received an Elpina M571 motherboard, for Pentium, MMX, Cyrix 6x86, AMD K5/K6 and IDT C6, WinChip. It came with an IDT C6 and with this processor it works correctly. I would like to use this board to test processors, because: It supports almost the full range of Pentium...
Back