• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. N

Bruce Culbertson NS32016 design

The NS32016-BC PCB is in trace routing. I experimented with a 2-layer board just to see if it would route, and it did solve on its own which is a good sign. However, with the board being so physically large and with some high-speed signals, it probably has to be 4-layer for stability and...
  2. N

Yes, that is how the story goes. No EDA tools used. Literally a wire-wrap design on a prototyping board and a *hand recorded* netlist. Apparently manually typed in one connection at a time. What you see represents a whole lot of work by Bruce Culbertson. Nothing was automated. I am very...
  3. N

More history in context on Bruce Culbertson NS32K small system. Check out the data on USENET: Nov 11, 1988, 8:05:27 PM https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.nsc.32k/c/Ef9W5DR-1ZA/m/emb1Y7NQsBMJ fascinating read!
  4. N

Hi I do have some additional background on the Bruce Culbertson NS32016 project. Apparently, it was done in the mid 1980's and posted in 1989. It ran Minix and included sources for drivers, etc. to get it running and some tools. Also, the schematics and PCB layouts never existed since Bruce...
  5. N

PD32 NS32016 computer

Hi Looks like a project page on Hackaday for Public Domain 32000 is starting to take root. Recent activity and people signing up https://hackaday.io/project/189965-isa-bus-slave-ns32016-processor-board
  6. N

DM me to discuss
  7. N

PD32 NS32016 computer

Hi Jeff, did your project ever advance to the prototype stage?
  8. N

PD32 NS32016 computer

mailing list for NS32K related topics http://mailman.berklix.org/mailman/listinfo/pc532
  9. N

PD32 NS32016 computer

Hi, probably a necropost, but thought maybe there is still some interest in a PD32 NS32016 revival. It looks like the Dave Rand PD32+ project came to naught, but I've updated the KiCAD capture of the original PD32 NS32016 board from 2017. By default, it is an 8-bit ISA board, however, the...
  10. N

Mark posts from this account as invisible or hidden

Would the admin mods please mark all the posts from this account as "invisible" or "hidden" so they no longer show up in searches, forum listings, the vcwiki, or whatever else is on this site? I have been out of this hobby for 4+ years now and I still get notifications, emails, etc. on a...
  11. N

Add "delete user account" feature

Please add a feature to the forum so users can archive all their personal information (including posts, blogs, etc.) and then permanently delete their accounts. This would help with security because people would be able to leave the forum without having to abandon all their information behind...
  12. N

blog spammer invasion

Disgusting spammers have taken up residence in the VCF blogs. See the trail of filth they are leaving behind. http://www.vcfed.org/forum/group.php?groupid=9 Since no one uses the blog how about just deleting it. Deleting the spammer fake user would be good too...
  13. N

USB2FDC project

The purpose of this thread is to discuss a USB to Floppy Disk Controller (USB2FDC) project. The goal of the project is to build a completely open source USB to Floppy Disk interface which is able to read/write soft sector FM and/or MFM formats of 3.5", 5.25", and 8" floppy disks. The project...
  14. N

FS: Northstar Advantage

For Sale: Northstar Advantage "as is -- no drives" $100 (firm) for pick up in Dayton Ohio area. If you need shipping make arrangements at a local (45429) pack and ship store and I will drop off the NS Advantage (no packaging).
  15. N

PD32 NS32016 computer

Does anyone remember or have experience with this early computer designed to run Unix? AKA "Public Domain 32000" by Dave Rand and George Scolaro It is called the PD32 and uses an NS32016 chipset. It was described in MICRO CORNUCOPIA, #32, Oct-Nov 1986, magazine...
  16. N

Hi Is anyone familiar with the background on the Bruce Culbertson NS32016 single board computer? Was this a "one off" build or was it commonly available at some point? Were PCBs ever made or is this project wire-wrap only? ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/misc/pc532/Culbertson/ It is mixed in with the...
  17. N

microcontrollers running Un*x, Linux, *BSD, etc.

Hi, microcontrollers are typically known for small RAM memories which limited using advanced operating systems like Un*x, Linux, *BSD, etc. However here is a case where someone got LiteBSD to run on a PIC32 microcontroller. Are there other examples of microcontrollers running advanced...
  18. N

PC532 Gerber files

Hi Does anyone know where to find the Gerber files for the original PC532 home brew computer? I have looked in all the obvious places. If someone knows any of the original PC532 hobbyists or has sources that would be helpful. Thanks, Andrew Lynch http://www.thefullwiki.org/PC532
  19. N

CP/M-16K, does it exist?

Has anyone seen or recall a CP/M-16K for the National Semiconductor CPUs (formerly known as NS16032, since renamed to NS32016 and subsequent) There is a posted article on comp.os.cpm which claims there was a CP/M-16K in addition to the CP/M-Z8K, CP/M-68K, and the more common CP/M-86 and CP/M-80.
  20. N

Multibus open hardware?

Is there such a thing? Would enough people be interested in it to warrant it? There doesn't seem to be any open hardware Multibus projects AFAIK. The situation seems ripe for a Multibus open hardware project but I don't want to push something no one else or very few are interested in pursuing.
Back