• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Mike_Z

PDP8E Friden Code Converter

A year ago or so, I was working on a code converter for my Friden Flexowriter to be able to communicate with my PDP8E. At that time I had the circuit built on a few breadboards with an RPI. The entire mess seemed to work rather good. Since then I developed a PCB from my KICAD drawing and sent...
  2. Mike_Z

Paper Tape ID's

Winter is coming and some of my outside projects are coming to an end. I still have some suspenions work on my 1939 Chevy and some storm window painting to complete, but Soon I want to be spending more time in the basement with all my computer stuff. I'm still working on a raspberry PI code...
  3. Mike_Z

8 inch floppies

Recent I met Jack Rubin and another guy, I think his name was Bob. Anyway Bob had a set of disk drives for Jack. He also had a storage tub full of 8 Inch floppies, which Jack didn't want, so I got them. There has to more than 100 floppies in this tub. Today I started to look at them. At first I...
  4. Mike_Z

Wordstar 3.0

I had just discovered simH CP/M. I downloaded it and got it started. Seems to work just fine. I have a real CP/M machine with two 8 inch drives and I use Wordstar 3.0. How can I make a Wordstar 3.0 disk for the simH 8080 CP/M machine? Thanks Mike.
  5. Mike_Z

Friden Flexowriter terminal

A few years ago, I acquired a Friden Flexowriter SFD-V. After a year or so, doing a lot of cleaning, adjustments and replacing the drive platen, my Friden is working. I would like to connect the Friden to my older computers. I started out by making a level converter. The Friden logic uses 100...
  6. Mike_Z

Dual purpose M8560 Serial board

I use a M8650 serial board in my real PDP8e. The terminals that I use is either a CIT-101 at 9600 baud or an ASR33 at 110 baud. My issue is that in order to change from the CIT-101 to the ASR33 I also have to pull the M8560 board and replace it with one that works at 110 or 9600 baud. For the...
  7. Mike_Z

Fortran Coding Sheet

I have been relearning Fortran IV and have advanced to the point where I want to format the output to look nice. I have forgotten how much of a pain the FORMAT statement is. You have to count every space and character to use the Hollerith stuff. I've been trying to use graph paper, but..... I...
  8. Mike_Z

DEC Fortran IV

For the last few days I have been writing a DEC Fortran program on my PDP8e. The program asks for 3 lengths, checks if these lengths make a valid triangle, if so, then calc's it's area. I was using EDIT to enter source code. I found EDIT to work fine, but was a little tiring. I looked into TECO...
  9. Mike_Z

Direct.sv

Today was the first time I fired up my PDP8E since last winter. It started just fine and seems to work as I remember. But due to our (mine and the PDP8) advanced age, we needed some time to remember how everything works. I also use SIMh. I noticed a difference between the DIR command between my...
  10. Mike_Z

SYmbolic Editor EDIT

For the past week or so, I have been working on understanding the code for RESORC. I have been using EDIT to look at the code and PAL8 to assemble it. Everything seems to be working pretty good. Yet I have trouble with examining the RESORC.LS listing using EDIT. When I get to page 9-1 of the...
  11. Mike_Z

Paper tape punch programs

Recently, I've been making MAINDEC paper tapes to run on my PDP8E. I've made these tapes in a piece meal fashion. All the MAINDEC programs were downloaded from Bitsavers etal. I then opened a file with a HEX editor and added a long leader of blanks. This was so that I could mode easily load the...
  12. Mike_Z

Brushing up on PAL code

I know what this means 100 TAD 500 500 25 Add the accumulator with the data at address 500 and save it in the accumulator. AC=AC+25 And this means 100 TAD I 500 500 1025 1025 75 Add the accumulator with the data at the effective address of 1025 and save it in the accumulator. AC=AC+75 BUT...
  13. Mike_Z

MAINDEC D0FC ISZ test

I've been adding to my paper tape library of MAINDEC routines. Today I came across the ISZ test D0FC.BN and it didn't seem to work. I loaded the tape and the PDP8E started and halted after a few seconds, which didn't seem correct. I then tried to load the program from disk, thinking that maybe...
  14. Mike_Z

XCOPY backup

I've been attempting to backup a hard drive on a 486DX computer to another hard drive using XCOPY. I'm using DOS 6.22. After a few attempts and some reading I found that DOS 6.22 XCOPY will not copy hidden or system files. I have seen that some people will use ATTRIB to remove those attributes...
  15. Mike_Z

Windows 3.11 3.5 setup floppies

I have the need to re install a copy of Windows 3.11 using 3.5" floppies. Apparently, my floppies have become bad and I can not re install win311. There must be some disk images of these somewhere, but so far I have not been able to find them. Can anyone point me to the correct place? Thanks, Mike
  16. Mike_Z

XTIDE & Compact Flash cards

I have installed a Glitch Works XTIDE card in my IBM XT. I'm using a Syba IDE to CF adapter. I have attempted to use a dozen of so different CF cards, with various results. My method of setting up the CF is to boot the XT from floppy, use FDISK to set one partition and make it active. Then use...
  17. Mike_Z

AST Mini I/O II for PC and XT

I started to talk about this in a different thread and thought that it would be better to start a new one. I have an original IBM XT 640K machine. Recently I retired the Hard Drive for an XTIDE with a CF card. After some struggle, it seems to be working quite well. Since I have the XT open I...
  18. Mike_Z

IBM XT I/O addresses

I have an original IBM XT that I purchased a long time ago. Recently, I added a network card and got the XT onto my LAN. At that time I thought it would be a good idea to transfer the XT's files to my FreNAS. Here I became aware of the fact my Hard Drive may not be perfect anymore. So, I...
  19. Mike_Z

Saving program in MBASIC

I have a 8080 CP/M 2.2 machine with 2, 8 inch floppies. Lately, when using MBASIC the SAVE command has been acting strange. I can write a program, save it to floppy, load it and everything seems to work just fine. Yet, when looking at the file under CP/M, for example A>TYPE FILE.BAS, the file...
  20. Mike_Z

Determining what I/O address and IRQ's that are being used on IBM XT

I have an IBM XT with 640K memory. Purchased it new a long time ago. Recently I found Burtman's mTCP programs, I have a 3c509b-tpo card and I want to connect the XT to my network. Mostly to transfer files between the XT and my FreNas. I have installed 3ccfg and tried to program the 3Com card...
Back