• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. L

Where are all the Model 16B s ?

Yeah, too big to stuff under a crawlspace ...and at the time no one really thought there would ever be any more interest in them. After all, the 16B with 6MHz 'short' CPU was 'officially' stuck on TRS-XENIX 1.3 (unofficially there PALs to upgrade to run 3.x, which have since been revived even...
  2. L

Python

Python internally compiles to a bytecode that is then run on a bytecode virtual machine. You can precompile python code to a '.pyc' file that is quite a bit smaller than the '.py' source. See https://docs.python.org/3/library/py_compile.html for more information.
  3. L

Where are all the Model 16B s ?

They're all at @pski 's house.....(Just kidding) Seriously, though, most were probably scrapped in the 1990's when they were so unwanted that they couldn't be given away. I had one (serial number was something like 60000002, unsure of the number of zeroes), along with a 6000, the next...
  4. L

Tandy 6000 binary-math Basic?

Yeah, I couldn't remember what was included in TRSDOS-16, it's been quite a while since I booted a copy.
  5. L

Tandy 6000 binary-math Basic?

Here's a link to TRSDOS 16, aka 'Bowling Ball DOS,' on pski's model2archive on GitHub.
  6. L

Z280 homebrew board plan

Nice progress!
  7. L

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

Intel compensated for the multiplexed bus situation with Pentium, a 32-bit CPU with a 64-bit bus. Bus width is why the Pentium Overdrives for the 486 systems underperformed; even at 83MHz, the true 64-bit bus version of the Pentium at lower speed could outperform the 32-bit bus Overdrive...
  8. L

Ultimate Pentium Build

Took a bit longer to dig down to the four NetCache C6100's, but they allow six SDR SDRAM DIMMs to be installed. Registered/buffered ECC, of course. These also include the Socket 370 Terminator in the unused socket. The main board slides out on rack slides; no hard disks inside, just a floppy...
  9. L

What do you guys use for reliable benchmarks for modernish CPU's?

Since I run Linux I use the old Byte benchmarks as a baseline. To get meaningful increases that can actually be felt at the UI the speed needs to be at least double. That's why I've used a rule of three in upgrading for several years; the machine has to be at least three times faster for me to...
  10. L

Ultimate Pentium Build

I once had a dual Pentium HP Netserver LH; pretty close to an ultimate Pentium. I don't remember why I got rid of it; fun machine and lots of room Looked like the photo at https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/s/6nuwIjmQ1h
  11. L

Ultimate Pentium Build

I said 4GB is possible, not that 4GB is the max. I would have to double check the specs of the board to see. I think the biggest number of RAM sockets I have seen on any server board is in a NetApp NetCache dual Socket 370. I'll check tomorrow at $dayjob to see how many. Buffered/registered...
  12. L

Getting back into older PC's with my first 486 Build in almost 30 years

A few years back I invested in an OKI PGA-X just for this sort of thing. It's a PGA extractor/inserter. Here's a photo: It is absolutely the bomb for safe removal and installation of up to a 68060 or Socket 4 Pentium (not a typo; 5V Socket 4), and everything down to a 286 in PGA, and...
  13. L

Ultimate Pentium Build

This. Either a 430TX or 430HX with a 233 MMX. To get extra credit find an NEC 4 disc CD changer and a 3DFX Voodoo. This with Win 98 will give a period-correct feel, even though the 233 MMX wasn't cutting edge for Win 98.
  14. L

Ultimate Pentium Build

I have pretty much the ultimate Pentium III-S system, except for esoteric greater-than-dual-CPU systems in a IBM server with dual Tualatin Pentium III-S 1.4GHz CPUs and 4GB of ECC RAM. So there's one place the GPT-generated table gets it wrong; 4GB on Pentium III-S is possible. Likewise, I...
  15. L

You know what seems to be extra rare? Pentium II and III Xeons.

Hmm,not that I know of; it's been a while since I tried with a really old tag.
  16. L

That's pretty cool. Since I was first introduced to Dells (way way back, actually, in that really short window of time when you could buy a Dell at Sam's Club and the 386SX was still sold; a 333s/L if I remember correctly) I liked the build quality. The clamshell Precisions and Inspirons...
  17. L

Indeed. Precision workstations are definitely costly new. The 530MT is the earliest one I have direct experience with, but the 620 and 610 are of the vintage mentioned in this thread. And scientific users were spending stupid money to buy them; still are, for that matter.
  18. L

Saturday for grins and giggles I powered up my IBM eServer x series 330 1RU server (dual PIII-S 1.4GHz, 4GB RAM, Debian Linux) and ran it for a bit. Need a rare PCI-X GPU, though, for best performance. Fastest 32-bit PCI GPU is pretty slow for workstation purposes. But I do servers for a...
  19. L

The dual Socket 8 board that I used as the base for a radio station's streaming server was a Supermicro. Solid board.
  20. L

Xeons have been used in Dell Precision workstations for years. 530MT, 650, 670, 690, T7400, T7500, T7610 are a few of the ones I've personally worked with. The 530MT had RAMbus RDRAM with strange RAM riser boards, even. But they haven't ever been as popular as regular PCs, of course. There...
Back