• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. L

Model 4 TRSDOS/LS-DOS versus CP/M

Ok, so after reading through the Running TRSDOS on Z180 & eZ80 thread, I guess I'll open this up. In the context of ONLY the TRS-80 Model 4/4P machines, let's look over the pros and cons of TRSDOS versus CP/M for the vintage enthusiast. The CP/M port I'm going to stick with is the Montezuma...
  2. L

Unix Bookshelves.....

So, the newbie thread kindof caused me to get interested in another aspect of vintage Unix systems: manuals. Here's a small section of my Unix bookshelf, including two titles that can't be too common; I'd like to see what other gems are out there sitting on others' bookshelves:
  3. L

System architecture for a Z380 TRS-80 compatible.

So, after a lot of investigation and thought, I have found that it really isn't feasible to make a 100% compatible super TRS-80 using an eZ80F91 as the core. I denied that in myself, thinking that a fast eZ80 would be attractive enough on its own, but this is a vanishingly small group here that...
  4. L

2021 Vintage plans, and 2020 lessons learned.

One of the neat things about being a member of this group, is to read the huge variety of projects being worked on by so many various people. Reading the progress of various projects for vintage systems of every stripe is rewarding in its own way to me. And so I'd like to read more about what...
  5. L

Frank Durda's SCSI Host Adapter Schematic found.

All, here is the schematic to Frank Durda IV's SCSI host adapter for the Model III/4/4P expansion bus. This design says right on it that it's AS-IS and licensed for non-commercial educational use only. The schematic was in XFig format, and I loaded it up in XFig on my CentOS 7 box and exported...
  6. L

Poll: eZ80 TRS-80ish design backwards compatibility.

So, what trips your trigger in terms of how much backwards compatibility a new eZ80-based TRS-80ish computer must have? I'm mostly concentrating on LS-DOS/TRSDOS compatibility here; CP/M and MP/M already have ports to eZ80 and porting to this design wouldn't be hard. Do you want a machine that...
  7. L

P112 kit for sale.

Ok, so I have a new, never out of the static bag P112 board , along with what should be a complete kit of parts. Reasonable offers only, please. Will list on eBay by the end of next week if no one here gets it. I also have a fully-assembled P112 with a GIDE available, again, reasonable offers...
  8. L

Full-height 8-inch drives that don't run the spindle constantly.

Does anyone know if there was ever a full-height (non-slimline) Shugart-interface 8-inch floppy drive that did not use a constant-on spindle motor, and, if you know of such a beast, would you mind sharing that information? Thanks!
  9. L

On missing Frank Durda IV

Mods, if you want to move this to Off-Topic, that's ok, but I wish you would indulge me for one post at least.... In the months since Frank Durda IV's passing, I have found myself missing him, his wisdom, and his wit, more and more. Recent events have really brought home to me the depth of the...
  10. L

Catweasel MK3

Ok, since I just got a SuperCard PRO, it's time to offload my older floppy reading cards. The first one up is a Catweasel MK3 in original box with original documents. I looked for the CD that came in the box, but I couldn't find it, but all drivers and programs to use this card are online...
  11. L

PC-MOS/386 v5 Open-sourced.

I'm surprised no one has posted yet about the open-sourcing of PC-MOS/386. The github is at https://github.com/roelandjansen/pcmos386v501 Anyone here ever use PC-MOS in production back in the day? (I didn't; I figured someone else would have posted this news by now.....)
  12. L

EOI: XLR8er redesign/reverse-engineering/work-alike (or alternative speedup board)

One of the nicest addons to the TRS-80 Model 4 and 4P was definitely the H I Tech XLR8er. Misosys closed these puppies out at really low money back in the day, but I remember an auction on eBay last year some time where an XLR8er fetched $500 (twice its original selling price!). Now, I'm glad...
  13. L

Right tool for the Job! (OKI PGA-X)

Ever wondered how you properly pull something like a 486 or Pentium from a non-ZIF socket, such as the hapless Pentium MMX 233 on this industrial single-board computer? Well, late last week I scored an OK Industries PGA-X pin-grid-array extraction/insertion tool on eBay for a real deal. Here...
  14. L

Modern 486-class DOS machine with ISA

Ok, here's one for the group. I contract engineer for a radio station that has a really old piece of equipment called a Davis WeatherTalker. Now, WeatherTalker is just a souped-up ISA 14.4 voice modem running on an old IBM PS/1 486 box. This has been in use for at least 15 years, and is...
  15. L

CPU280 discussion and information thread.

Over 20 years ago a gifted engineer, Tilmann Reh, designed what some have considered the ultimate CP/M single-board computer, the CPU280. Now, that is a very subjective statement; some might say that the P112 with a CPU upgrade to 24.5MHz would be the 'Ultimate' and it's not the focus of this...
  16. L

Most advanced 8-bit CPU ever...... 6809? 65816? Z280? eZ80? AVR? Opinions?

Seeing the other thread dealing with the 6809, 65802, and 65816, and not wanting to hijack that thread, I couldn't help but wonder which 8-bit CPU really would be considered the most 'advanced.' No, I'm not wanting to start any flames, either; I'm genuinely curious, and if it can be shown that...
  17. L

Model 2 card extender board (with pics)

I ran across this is my 'junk boards' box the other day, and it took me just a little while to figure out what it was. Huh, a right-angle card extender? What could possibly need such a beast? And what's up with the card edge socket on the left? Hmmmm....a ZIF card edge? Hmm even further...
  18. L

Medical imaging video card photos. (Camtronics Medical Systems, S3 Vision968 chip).

Another thread in the forums had some video cards where one could be a medical imaging-type video card. Here's one of the ones that I have for reference. This one was in a Pentium 133 PCI machine as I recall; the latest datecodes I see are late Q3/first week of Q4 1997 (40th week)...
  19. L

Old Toshiba XM-2100B CD-ROM; looking for more info and/or interface.

Ok, I ran across an old CD-ROM drive the other day in some of my boxes. It's a Toshiba XM-2100B, and I'm looking for more information on it. Searching at google or here doesn't yield anything useful. It's a full-height CD-ROM drive. Here are some photos:
  20. L

TL866 MiniPro programmer/tester and TTL ICs

I just purchased one of the ubiquitous TL866A programmers, at least partially for its ability to test logic ICs at a reasonable price. I'm curious if anyone else here has one and is using it for this purpose.
Back