• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

PET 2001 - almost non-random garbage screen on boot

Hello, I have a PET 2001 (original with 6550, 6540) which boots to a garbage screen, but rather than it being random it's actually very similar each time with just some characters changing. I have tried a ROM/RAM replacement board, as well as Vossi's 2001 PET TEST ROM, which I've used on...
  2. S

WTB: Serial CRT Terminal (UK)

As subject I would like to get hold of a serial CRT terminal. The older the better but would consider newer models too. Condition doesn't really matter, would prefer working but non-working is also fine. I'm up North but can travel / arrange courier :cool:
  3. S

Pet 2001 White sreen (solid white)

One of my PET 2001s screens has suddenly decided to go white and not boot. It was working OK, I left it running a simple test program for a while, came back to a totally solid white screen with the blank screen borders around it. Removed all the VIA/PIA and RAM and built it back up, still...
  4. S

(Not mine) Really early boxed Commodore PET 2001-8 on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Commodore-PET-Personal-Computer-Model-2001-8-Series-with-Original-Box/322833480357?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D31c35d4341a84d5d97aa40d4235a81de%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D322833480357&_trksid=p2060778...
  5. S

PET 2001 fuseholder type?

I have a PET 2001 with the fuse cap removed, it would be the same type as seen here: It takes the longer-length fuse compared to later PETs. I could of course replace the whole thing with a newer fuse holder, but it would be even nicer to know what type the original was :D Does anyone...
  6. S

vintage-new-5-25-floppy-disks-apple-ii-iie-iic-games-old-apple-disks, Melbourne, OZ.

I might be wrong, but I am 99.9999% sure the floppies in that ad are fake... See how they all conveniently use the same size label, in the same position with the same iffy-looking white border, lacking copyright info. My jpeg-o-meter went into overdrive! A quick Google shows none of the...
  7. S

Anyone have an all-1977 PET 2001?

Apropos of nothing... pointless trivia question alert... I was checking out my "COPYRIGHT 1977" 320008 PET just now, and it occurred to me; supposedly a number were sold in '77, many PETs have the '77 PCB, some have a selection of '77 components, but most also have later (factory installed)...
  8. S

PET 2001 fault - multiple repeating prompts across the screen, hex codes

After help from AndyG on here, my PET 2001 monitor is fixed, so I've now turned attention to a spare board I have. A clean looking 320008 (dated 1977) is showing this funky prompt. You can type but nothing much happens other than duplicating what you type across the screen. Cassette motor...
  9. S

PET 2001 bright / horizontal lines monitor issue

Hi, I have at least a couple of issues with this PET, both should be apparent from the attached photo. Firstly, the screen is very bright. The picture is with brightness on the lowest setting(!), turning it up just results in an even brighter image. The board seems to be partially booting as...
  10. S

Black "PET" C2N wanted (buy or trade)... UK but happy to deal worldwide

I have a PET with no drive (boo!), I do have a cream Vic 20 style one, but it's not the same is it? I would like to purchase a black C2N therefore. Doesn't matter if the bracket isn't included. I can purchase, or trade (don't have much, some 8-Bit, some ISA boards, but ask if you need...
  11. S

Commodore PET monitor bezel removal

How are the bezels attached on PET monitors? Just glue? I'd like to remove mine without having to go through the CRT etc, if at all possible!
  12. S

C2N Datasette PCB in non-Commodore tape decks?

I have some C2N spares, including salvaged PCB, and was wondering if I could install this in a non-Commodore tape recorder? Assuming the motor used the same voltage etc?
  13. S

Wanted : Black Commodore Datasette (PET / Vic era, no counter etc)

I would like to buy this model, working or not, just as long as it's physically complete on the outside : I'm in England but would happily buy from anywhere in the world if the shipping is reasonable enough :cool:
  14. S

Original Blue PET "Sanyo" cassette deck white buttons - model number?

Just as a sort of not-very-interesting update... I discovered they were also sold in Brazil under the brand CCE (who are still going) Following ad is from 1973:
  15. S

Best programs to test 386/486 stability?

What is the current best program(s) for testing a system? I've got Topbench, Speedsys, the Vogons benchmark tools, but these seem more geared towards speed rather than stability. Is there a program which will push the CPU and RAM to it's limits, revealing an unstable system through demanding...
  16. S

Force 'lower' video modes in DOS ?

My 286 has a VGA card for ease of connection, but I don't always want to run games in that mode. Not all games give the option of choosing, e.g. Commander Keen detects and runs in VGA. Is there any program to force lower modes? I've looked around and couldn't see anything.
  17. S

21 CRT monitors for £30 (UK) (not my auction!)

May interest someone. I don't know about everywhere else in the UK but my personal experience is CRTs are getting harder to find, even as freebies. So 21 for £30 / £1.43 each doesn't sound like a terrible deal ...
  18. S

WTB : 4 / 8x 4MB 30 pin Parity SIMMS

As title, would like to buy 30 pin SIMMS 4MB x 4 (or 8 if you have them) so I can have 16MB in at least one of my 30-pin motherboards Must be parity, speed not too important I'm in the UK but will buy from anywhere if the shipping's reasonable :cool:
  19. S

Upgrading Expertcolor VLB S3 805 1MB > 2MB ?

I know, this card is not that great to begin with, but I have some tested working SOJ 512k chips so I thought "why not"? Unfortunately, the extra memory is not recognised, but it does work in other graphics cards. My guess is that the RAM is not auto recognized and needs to be configured with...
  20. S

Do 486 DX2/DX4 really need a fan?

I've noticed on a few CPUs "Heatsink Req'd", then on seemingly identical models: "Heatsink & Fan Req'd" - whereas on others, no instruction at all. I've barely ever seen fans on 486-class processors... is there really any point in 100Mhz + less?
Back