• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. J

Intel SBC-640 Multibus PSU schematic needed

The relevant Intel manuals are 9800505-04 "iSBC 660 System Chassis Hardware Reference Guide" and 9800803-03 "iSBC 640 Power Supply Hardware Reference Manual". I'll get these scanned and will send a link to PDFs via a Private Message. It would be good if you identified the cards you received and...
  2. J

Mystery Machine

Regarding failed Intel MDS keyboard hall-effect switches, there’s a solution demonstrated in this video: If many of the hall-effect sensors have failed, it may be most efficient to replace all of the keyswitches. On reading MDS disks - this is an outline of a large topic. As previously...
  3. J

Dantz / ‘SuperMac’ TapeFit software WITH DataStream Tape Driver - where to find?

Short report: The tape driver file indicated by SuperSVGA was the solution. Two of the tapes were read successfully, both yielding around 700 files amounting to a little under 20 Mb on each. The third, not expected to contain the owner’s personal data, threw an address error at a certain point...
  4. J

Dantz / ‘SuperMac’ TapeFit software WITH DataStream Tape Driver - where to find?

Thanks for the prompt reply. I was about to attach the screenshot, but you got there first. Your screenshot is very helpful. I'll seek a solution.
  5. J

Replying to SuperSVGA Many thanks for your suggestion. Here's a screenshot of the (single) file contained in the Network_DiskFit_1.5.1.sit package, named Net.DF.Help. My suspicion is that this would only function in the presence of a network. Is there more information you can provide?
  6. J

I am attempting to restore files from several DC2000 tape cartridges that were backups of a Mac system in use in the late 1980s. The owner of the tapes recalls that they were written using TapeFit software, possibly over a network. The owner of the tapes has loaned a Mac Plus (OS 6.0.3) with an...
  7. J

Wanted: Intel Prompt 80/85 Documentation

The 1978 Intel 'Component Data Catalog' has 5 pages relating to the prompt-80/85. Just a first step.
  8. J

British Micro mimi 803 boot disk??

Harry. I realise your post is from 10 years ago - but I have been given a Mimi 802 and an 803W (hard drive version) boot disk. If you are still interested, please send a PM for more info. Regards. JH
  9. J

Was there ever any English documentation for the NEC PC8801?

Here's a photo of a NEC PC 8801BE on display at the Centre for Computing History - Cambridge, UK (on 1 April 2023 at an event focusing on Japanese systems). The museum's website (http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/53350/NEC-8801-BE/) states that the system was distributed in Europe by NEC...
  10. J

CPMTools help for 8" Jade DD disks

A CPMTools diskdefs file I have includes the following Jade 8" definition. Hopefully this may provide some clues. SYSTEM JAD1 Jade - SSDD 8" - 128 x 48 # JAD1 Jade - SSDD 8" - 128 x 48 diskdef jad1 seclen 128 tracks 77 sectrk 48 blocksize 2048 maxdir 64 skew 1 boottrk 2 os...
  11. J

Intel Intellec 8 MCS

Intel document AP-7 (Application Note), dated 1975 and with Order number 98-031A, has the title: "Disk Controller Design Uses New Bipolar Microcomputer LSI Components". I'll post scanned images of the title page and of the controller shown on Page 2. The controller has a 100-pin interface...
  12. J

Intel Intellec 8 MCS

Here are the contents of the two 2716s I mentioned earlier. These are from an Intellec 8/MOD80. I'll also attach the 8/MOD8 code which I found on the website Nj7P.org of Bill Beech at the 'Monitors' page - I think it wasn't on his website when I looked recently.
  13. J

Intel Intellec 8 MCS

Here's an Intellec 8 EPROM card modified to use 2716s. The code is contained in one of the 2716s (2k). The other contains only a jump instruction. The Intellec 8 MOD 8 version 3.0 (April 1975) 8008 monitor code was released by Intel in their publication 98-022B. The 8080 monitor, also version...
  14. J

Trivector minicomputer / Megatronics disc drives

As noted in a previous posting, the Centre for Computing History (CCH) in Cambridge, UK has an example of the DRI Model 4000 hard drive (Diablo Model 40). The technical manual donated with the drive describes it as ‘series 4000, variant 258-99XX’, and the manual as ‘document reference 4099/issue...
  15. J

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

An initial comment on my recent posting. A search returned the information that: "the TI TMS9900 and the Motorola 68000 had 16-bit external data busses, no multiplexing, and came in a 64-pin DIP package". Close inspection of the CPU photo suggests it could be a TMSxxxx. I had noted that...
  16. J

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

Here is a mystery board with what appears a 64-pin CPU (illumination makes the type illegible). It is one of a small set of boards whose origin is unknown. The board in the photos has the markings in yellow: D/PC 504167/1-SS ISS C. 804167 SER NO 195. And these markings are on the component...
  17. J

Delicate 8” and 5¼” double-sided floppy disks – how to avoid a ‘bulldozer’ effect.

A further point: In a previous post, it was suggested to read an unknown disk in a series of steps, starting with tracks 0-4. It would be preferable to start with a similar range of tracks in the second half of the disk. The purpose of reading a few tracks at the start is to assess whether...
  18. J

Delicate 8” and 5¼” double-sided floppy disks – how to avoid a ‘bulldozer’ effect.

Reading difficult disks (Wabash, etc.) An a half-way update, the procedure based on advice received in this forum thread has been working effectively. Definition of ‘working effectively’: - To recover data from floppy disks in a single read, leaving the disk in a sound condition that allows...
  19. J

(OP) What about a dessicant – with or without heat? Photographers use silica gel to protect film negatives and transparencies from deterioration. It drinks any ambient moisture, which can be driven off by heating the silica gel in an oven. It's re-usable. Would silica gel have any benefit as...
  20. J

(OP) Further questions – How tough are Shugart read/write heads? As mentioned earlier, the main challenge of reading Wabash disks is that the oxide they release is stuck to the heads. Using IPA on a cotton swab may be non-destructive, but it takes a lot of time and effort. In an earlier post...
Back