• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

SGI Indigo2 Power Supply Repair Service

I have a number of Indigo2 power supplies that need to be repaired. It's certain recapping is required, but some additional debugging may potentially be required. I have not had much luck finding a technician. Might someone here have pointers?
  2. S

WANTED: Sharp PC-6220 286 laptop

Looking for laptop, battery and charger at least. Other peripherals (num pad, dock, trackball) a plus. Thank you.
  3. S

Linux on their 486 class machines.

Here are some pics of Desqview/X and Puppy Linux running on the Gateway 486 I restored a couple of years ago: More on the story here: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?44930-Restoring-a-Gateway-2000-4DX2-50-80486-Desktop-(Warning-Lots-of-images)
  4. S

Apple IIgs woes - unreadable screen, snow

I started up the IIgs after a few months and was greeted by this: I reseated the memory card, tried again, same result. Any idea what might be happening?
  5. S

7 new systems; AT&T 6300, IBM Powerserver, Libretto, Tandy 1400LT & more

Wanted to share some recent acquisitions. Pictures now, stories later.
  6. S

Restoring a Gateway 2000 4DX2-50 80486 Desktop (Warning: Lots of images)

Adventures in alternate OS installs on the Gateway continue... I was able to get RedHat 6.1 to boot and make it into the X-based setup program. Of course, the 1GB drive has just about 120MB left, so I didn't actually go through with the install. That said, at least I've gotten farther with this...
  7. S

A Commodore PET Smartphone?

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/commodore-smartphone/?mbid=social_twitter The Commodore PET is now an Android smartphone running an emulator. A nod to the name, but a bit of a travesty, really, for vintage buffs.
  8. S

What 70 years of computing sounds like

Great article with some interesting Soundcloud clips! http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-is-what-70-years-of-computing-sounds-like
  9. S

Sirius: A tri-processor 8051 handheld computer

Some additional pictures: The early proto of the dev board - note the keyboard built from scratch from an array of push switches.
  10. S

Picked up a new PCjr in good condition, except that it doesn't boot!

Got lucky today and found a PCjr still in the original box, with the diskette drive safety card insert still present! The pics will do most of the talking, but I got the IR keyboard, two joysticks, power adaptor and the PCjr system unit itself. No sidecars or other expansions, however. Without...
  11. S

Sirius: A tri-processor 8051 handheld computer

An interesting project most may not have heard of previously. Demo shows: Battery powered Sirius handheld system based on a tri-processor 8051 design AlephOS Operating System Authentication Forms-based UX library SD Card support/FAT filesystem Bitmapped graphics Multilingual support...
  12. S

WTB NeXT non-ADB sound box, Y cable, HDD and V74 ROM

Need these items for a NeXTstation Turbo Color. Would you please PM me if you have these items and would like to sell. 1. NeXT non-ADB sound box 2. Y cable 3. HDD - atleast 2GB, ideally with NextStep 3.3 and apps loaded 4. V74 ROM
  13. S

Restoring a Gateway 2000 4DX2-50 80486 Desktop (Warning: Lots of images)

I wanted to try Linux on the Gateway to see how usable it would be. I didn't want to mess with the HDD which has a single dos partition, so I burned a puppy "wary" live cd and tried to boot. The system now has an IDE CD-ROM. Problems with the Sony CDU-33 have been covered in previous pages so...
  14. S

YouTube videos of some of my other computers

I just saw this with my boys. It's excellent, as usual! I was very happy to see a new one from you, Terry, after some months. Please keep them coming. Also enjoy your website and the many useful articles you've posted there.
  15. S

Advice needed on add-on purchases for Commodore PC-10 8088

The PC-10 arrived, along with the XT-2-PS/2 keyboard adapter, the LAN card (Etherexpress 8/16) and a box of floppies. I had a Commodore 1084 RGB monitor with the necessary cable, so the first step was to try to get that to work. And it did. Here is the system wired up and POSTing: You can...
  16. S

WTB: XT IDE controller, 8-bit CGA card w composite and 8-bit VGA controller

Would like to buy three items: 1) XT IDE controller - intend to use this with a CF card 2) 8-bit CGA controller - IBM preferred, but if none are available at a reasonable price, I'll also consider alternate controllers with composite out 3) 8-bit VGA controller Please PM me with details and...
  17. S

Advice needed on add-on purchases for Commodore PC-10 8088

I just bought a Commodore PC-10 8088 system from eBay. It hasn't arrived yet, but here are some pics from the listing: The details were fairly scarce, but I think I got it for a good price, and most importantly, the seller reports that the system powers up and operates. The insides are...
  18. S

FTP to/from 486/66

I frequently use ftpsrv, which is part of Mike's excellent mTCP package, to TX files to/from my recently restored Gateway 486. After a lot of trouble w the Sony CD-ROM in the system, and repeated challenges trying to get a compact flash based removable mass storage solution going, I found...
Back