• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. S

SGI Indigo2 Power Supply Repair Service

I have a number of Indigo2 power supplies that need to be repaired. It's certain recapping is required, but some additional debugging may potentially be required. I have not had much luck finding a technician. Might someone here have pointers?
  2. S

WANTED: Sharp PC-6220 286 laptop

Looking for laptop, battery and charger at least. Other peripherals (num pad, dock, trackball) a plus. Thank you.
  3. S

Apple IIgs woes - unreadable screen, snow

I started up the IIgs after a few months and was greeted by this: I reseated the memory card, tried again, same result. Any idea what might be happening?
  4. S

7 new systems; AT&T 6300, IBM Powerserver, Libretto, Tandy 1400LT & more

Wanted to share some recent acquisitions. Pictures now, stories later.
  5. S

A Commodore PET Smartphone?

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/commodore-smartphone/?mbid=social_twitter The Commodore PET is now an Android smartphone running an emulator. A nod to the name, but a bit of a travesty, really, for vintage buffs.
  6. S

What 70 years of computing sounds like

Great article with some interesting Soundcloud clips! http://motherboard.vice.com/read/this-is-what-70-years-of-computing-sounds-like
  7. S

Picked up a new PCjr in good condition, except that it doesn't boot!

Got lucky today and found a PCjr still in the original box, with the diskette drive safety card insert still present! The pics will do most of the talking, but I got the IR keyboard, two joysticks, power adaptor and the PCjr system unit itself. No sidecars or other expansions, however. Without...
  8. S

Sirius: A tri-processor 8051 handheld computer

An interesting project most may not have heard of previously. Demo shows: Battery powered Sirius handheld system based on a tri-processor 8051 design AlephOS Operating System Authentication Forms-based UX library SD Card support/FAT filesystem Bitmapped graphics Multilingual support...
  9. S

WTB NeXT non-ADB sound box, Y cable, HDD and V74 ROM

Need these items for a NeXTstation Turbo Color. Would you please PM me if you have these items and would like to sell. 1. NeXT non-ADB sound box 2. Y cable 3. HDD - atleast 2GB, ideally with NextStep 3.3 and apps loaded 4. V74 ROM
  10. S

YouTube videos of some of my other computers

I just saw this with my boys. It's excellent, as usual! I was very happy to see a new one from you, Terry, after some months. Please keep them coming. Also enjoy your website and the many useful articles you've posted there.
  11. S

WTB: XT IDE controller, 8-bit CGA card w composite and 8-bit VGA controller

Would like to buy three items: 1) XT IDE controller - intend to use this with a CF card 2) 8-bit CGA controller - IBM preferred, but if none are available at a reasonable price, I'll also consider alternate controllers with composite out 3) 8-bit VGA controller Please PM me with details and...
  12. S

Advice needed on add-on purchases for Commodore PC-10 8088

I just bought a Commodore PC-10 8088 system from eBay. It hasn't arrived yet, but here are some pics from the listing: The details were fairly scarce, but I think I got it for a good price, and most importantly, the seller reports that the system powers up and operates. The insides are...
  13. S

Trixter's latest magic... Holy how-in-the-hell!!!???

I don't have too many words to use right now... how in the???? Here are the videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHXx3orN35Y Audience reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdb3AQ14iVc
  14. S

Mounting .IMAs/floppy images under DOS as virtual drives?

Many of the abandonware sites provide multi-floppy installers as a series of image files. If you're running these on a hypervisor, it's easy to associate them with a virtual drive. But on a physical system, is there a way to copy the .IMA files to the hard drive, and then mount them as a virtual...
  15. S

Fastest way to get a Dos/Wfw3.11/apps+games install on a non-networked 486

As some of you may have seen, I am in the middle of my Gateway DX2-50 rehab project. While I'm still struggling with some CD issues detailed in the linked thread, I am looking to find ways in which to get a full DOS/Win3.11 install + apps and games loaded quickly. My PC is not yet connected to...
  16. S

The sixth stage of grief is retro-computing (from medium.com)

https://medium.com/message/networks-without-networks-7644933a3100 Very powerful. Quite depressing. You'll need to set aside some time to read it, but it will be time well spent.
  17. S

The one that got away... Amiga 4000 Toaster. And blaming Jimmy Maher.

An Amiga 4000 auction just closed on eBay. I was one of the losing bidders. Honestly, I'm not sure why I was bidding to begin with, other than I seem to have caught Amiga fever. I've just gotten in to collecting Commodore stuff and picked up my first Amiga 500 not a month ago. What business do I...
  18. S

Restoring a Gateway 2000 4DX2-50 80486 Desktop (Warning: Lots of images)

Part I I've always liked Gateway 2000 systems from the '90s, but have never owned one. Recently, I acquired a slim, 4DX2-50 486 desktop model. When I opened the box and laid eyes on the thing, I physically took a step back. It was revolting. One of the filthiest systems I have ever seen. I...
  19. S

My new PET - CBM 8032

Found this at a local computer store. Asked the sales person if I could turn it on, and he let me. I was greeted by Commodore BASIC 4.0 in ROM, so I paid them what they were asking for it and picked it up! From no Commodores in the summer to a 64, Amiga 500 and now a PET in the last couple of...
  20. S

Amiga Trump Card woes

I recently bought an Amiga 500 with a trump card and included hard drive. When I plug the trump card enclosure into the expansion slot and turn the Amiga on, I get a white display and flashing power light. Sometimes the light turns solid (red) but nothing ever shows up on the display. When I...
Back