• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

Video review: SD card to IDE adapter

I thought this review of a SD card to IDE adapter is most suitable for early Pentium machines. Here is the gist: Prices of these adapters have come down, I got this one for 10 Australian dollars shipped from eBay. The adapter supports DMA and I had no problem with a 386, Pentium III and Core 2...
  2. P

The Mist FPGA computer - Classic home computers and consoles

Some of you might know that I recently got a Mist FPGA computer. So I am documenting my journey, sharing what I found, how to set it all up, and of course with some YouTube videos along the way. No ads for Mist videos :) The Mist is a FPGA computer, which is a hardware programmable chip. Not...
  3. P

Building a fast 386 stealth style (ATX case & PSU, 32G CF card, USB FDD, Pwr & Turbo)

Building a fast 386 stealth style (ATX case & PSU, 32G CF card, USB FDD, Pwr & Turbo) I recently built this fast 386, aka "The stealth 386" :) Looks like a standard, modern computer from the outside, but turn it on and awesome DOS gaming awaits you! Here is an image of the finished computer...
  4. P

Review and demonstration of the DreamBlaster X1 Wavetable General MIDI board

I wasn't 100% where to post this, but I thought that a General MIDI wavetable board would fit nicely in the Pentium category! The DreamBlaster X1! Product link: http://www.serdashop.com/DreamblasterX1 Join me in this comprehensive review and demonstration of a brand new General MIDI...
  5. P

Building a 486 with modern parts (ATX case, ATX PSU, CF card, GOTEK FDD, New buttons)

Video build log: Building a 486 with modern parts So you want to build a 486? That's awesome! You can get yourself a ready to go 486, all authentic with that retro AT case and whizzing hard-drive, but as vintage parts fail, or become harder and more expensive to obtain, maybe you have thought...
  6. P

Too many Retro PCs? Let's build a 4 in 1 Retro Gaming PC! 386, 486, Pentium...

Wasn't quite sure which section to put this under, as this machine simulates several systems. The Pentium class is the most appropriate, so I put it here. Video: Building a 4 in 1 Retro Gaming PC The finished PC: The goal of this project is to have a single computer that can play 386...
  7. P

Video: Is Doom playable on a 386?

Is Doom playable on a 386? This is the question that I will answer with this video. I built a 386DX-40 PC and benchmarked Doom at all quality and screen size settings. What do you think? Do you think it's playable or not? Please share your thoughts! Video link: Is Doom playable on a 386...
  8. P

Video review: ATX to AT power adapter review with -5V

Very useful for 386 and 486 machines, when you're using devices that require -5V. In this video I am reviewing two ATX to AT power adapters. One is cheaper, but does not supply -5V, the other one is more expensive, but has a converter that adds -5V. Some sound cards, like the Roland LAPC-I...
  9. P

Roland MT-32, CM-32L and General MIDI for ~ $50. Building a MIDI box for your 386/486

I am hoping that 386 and 486 users might find this project quite useful! Apologies, for the catchy title. I just wanted to grab you attention because I am very excited about this project :). I am showing how to build a MIDI box for your Retro Gaming PC that will substitute Roland MT-32...
  10. P

Experience with Western Digital / Seagate Dynamic Drive Overlay (EZ-Drive / Ontrack)

To begin with I would like to say that Dynamic Drive Overlay software is just one more tool in the toolbox of working with old computers. It's not the "best" or "recommended" option, just something I worked with recently and would like to share my findings and thoughts. So no need to mention...
Back