• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

Why Can I Not Delete Certain Registry Keys

Hi Guys, I tried to install an HP printer (using the supplied CD) on the Windows XP x64 side of my machine as the software said it was good for Win98, Win2000 and WinXP. Turns out it apparently doesn't work with WinXP x64 as it could not even identify the correct OS (it thought the OS was...
  2. G

A Puff of Smoke and All is Well

Hi Guys, I have a P90 computer I do not use very often. The other day I went to boot it up and it went on for about a second and then off. I tried a couple more times with the same result. Today I took the cover off and unplugged the power supply from the motherboard and the machine stayed...
  3. G

Anyone Having Problems with Yahoo?

Hi Guys, I have been having problems with Yahoo for a few days now and I do not know if it is because of the website or because I am now accessing the internet with a new machine. I seem to have no issues with any other site. Using Win 7 and Firefox. I often am unable to get even the...
  4. G

Win XP x64 Hard Drive Limit?

Hi Guys, I put a new 2TB drive into a machine and installed both Win XP x64 and Win 7 x64. This is the same machine I was working on in this thread: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/drive-letter-assignment-question.1242642/ After figuring out the drive letter issue I installed...
  5. G

Can DVD Drives Lose the Ability to Read DVDs?

Hi Guys, For the second time I have come across a machine with a DVD drive which does not recognize or read DVDs. The drive will read CDs just fine but not DVDs. After loading a machine with Win XP off a CD (the same Dell Inspiron from my previous thread on drive letters) , I tried to load...
  6. G

Drive Letter Assignment Question

Hi Guys, I inherited a Dell Inspiron 620 with no hard drive. I purchased a new drive and installed it today. I plan to install Windows 7 (which is the original OS) but I first decided I would put Win XP on the machine and then set it up for multi-boot. I set up the BIOS to use the CD drive...
  7. G

Replacing Brother MPC-3360C Ink Absorption Pad

Hi Guys, I have a Brother MPC-3360C printer/fax/copy machine which has served me very well for years. I'm hoping I can keep it for a long time. The other day the printer gave the error "Unable to clean - 46". This indicates the ink absorption pad is full and needs to be replaced. The ink...
  8. G

Mid Atlantic Old (but still sealed) HP Printer cartridges - $10

Hi Guys, I have some very old HP printer cartridges still here from printers I got rid of long ago. These have dates from 2000 and 2002 so your guess is as good as mine as to whether they have aged gracefully or not. I have the following: (1) HP C1823A tri-color (dated 2000). Box open but...
  9. G

TomTom XL Clock Setting

Hi Guys, I almost never use my TomTom GPS unit but when I did pull it out the other day I found the clock was at 12 AM no matter when it was turned on and I had no way to set the time. It would always return to 12AM even if you reset it. In searching the net, I found a Youtube video which...
  10. G

How to Clean HP Desktop F4280 Cartridges?

Hi Guys, I have an HP Desktop F4280 printer which shows both the color and black cartridge as full yet nothing prints on the paper. I want to clean the cartridges but it requires HP software as there is no "clean" button. The HP Solution Center is apparently the software I need but it is no...
  11. G

Mid Atlantic Four Vintage v2.00 IBM Compiles in Like New Condition

Hi Guys, I have four vintage IBM compilers which are in their original tan boxes with all the manuals (in the original three ring binders) and software. All four are in great, nearly new, condition with only the Pascal compiler boxes not having the outside paper sleeve (if it ever had one)...
  12. G

Where Can I Locate Rubber Bands Used in Electronics

Hi Guys, I just set up my stereo rack system after it has been stored for the last 8 years. I had hoped everything would work but I was leery about the turntable, cassette deck and CD player because all of those use the o-ring type rubber bands to turn wheels and I semi-expected those bands...
  13. G

Mid Atlantic Free: Complete PCs, Monitors, Cases and More

Hi Guys, I continue to thin the herd. Here are all the items I now have ready to be given away free to anyone who can use them. There are many more items, mostly motherboards, video cards, IDE controllers and CPUs which I also want to give away but have not yet put aside. I am continuing...
  14. G

Mid Atlantic Free IDMS Booklets, CDs plus other Mainframe Books

Hi Guys, As I rid myself of all the manuals and documentation I kept from my IBM mainframe days, I now have the following which I hope someone can use. All are in excellent shape. All I ask is the cost of postage. I would like to send it all as one big lot rather than break it apart and...
  15. G

Mid Atlantic Free Toshiba Tecra 740CDT Laptop

Hi Guys, I will be clearing out a lot of computer parts and software over the next several months as time permits. Right now I have a Tecra 740CDT laptop which I want to give away to someone who can use it. It has a built in CD drive and an external 1.44 floppy drive. Also included is the...
  16. G

WindowsCodecs.DLL, AVG and Opera Issue

Hi Guys, Today I decided to try downloading Opera v36 onto my Windows XP 64 machine to see if it would be better/faster than using Firefox. I know both browsers are out of date but they are the last versions which will work with XP. The download and install went smoothly and when I tested...
  17. G

SCSI Drives Hanging DOS System

I brought up this issue on another thread but that thread got so involved with other topics I am afraid this issue got buried and forgotten. I have a machine which only has SCSI drives (4 HD and 3 CD) along with two floppies. The SCSI drives work off the same controller but are attached to two...
  18. G

RTC Battery Removal Facilities

Hi Guys, Although I haven't counted how many motherboards (some installed, some not) I have with soldered in RTC chips, I'm guessing I have close to two dozen. If the internal batteries have not yet died, they have to nearing end of life. And my experience has been once the battery dies, the...
  19. G

Connecting DOS and Win95 via Cable

Hi Guys, I am sure in the past I have connected a Win 95 and DOS 6.20 computer via the parallel port and a null modem cable, but I cannot remember how I did it. I have been connecting DOS computers via Interlink with the cable but I now want to connect to a Win 95 machine. I tried using...
  20. G

Putting QEMM on Multiple Machines

I take a copy of an already installed QEMM (v7.5 and 8.0) from one machine to another so I do not have to go through the install process on every machine. It works fine except for one thing. For some reason, when I run OPTIMIZE the program looks for the software on the D drive (where it was...
Back