• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. W

Alternate buffer DMA interface DRQ11 (M7549) - what is this?

I could not find much either. I think it is 2nd generation 16 line digital interface DMA for Q bus. DEC used the DR-11B and DRV-11B to do transfer data between different permutations of UNIBIS and QBUS machines. DEC Computing Support Services and Customers could wire them for bespoke...
  2. W

DEC units on ebay

Back in last century, we would take and leave off the front panel and carefully swap disks in and out of the RK05-F. The disks used all had to be formated in the same drive. Only 1 pack out of 20 gave us a problem. It was a dodgy pack to begin with. We did not have a second RK05-F, so we...
  3. W

Best way to go about emulating micro-ODT

You might want to look at the odt-style ROM monitor on the M9312 bootstrap/terminator module that were used for PDP-11/34. See https://github.com/AK6DN/AK6DN.github.io/blob/main/PDP-11/M9312/23-248F1/23-248F1.lst Jerry
  4. W

Issues with several KA640 CPU Boards

Check the power supply voltages. DC OK - off is a symptom that either +5v or +12v are out of tolerance. Electrolytic capacitor failures are common in equipment of this age. Processors won't attempt to start until this is corrected and DC OK is asserted.
  5. W

Kind of 11/73 Console/SLU issue ...

The machines involved were specialized diagnosic clinical implementations. Support contracts :) (Marquette Electronics, now GE Healthcare) dealt with any failures. However, we did extract some of the clinical data for research purposes. So I would routinely insert a DLVJ11, connect a CRT and...
  6. W

Kind of 11/73 Console/SLU issue ...

I've never see the built in hardware ODT console at anything other than 17777560-17777566 or their 16 or 18 bit equivalents. That said, you don't need a DL/DLV-11 if there is ROM bootstrap code that can start the OS without it. We had many systems w/o a CRT or hardware terminal. But ou need...
  7. W

PDP11 - RX01 Writing disks

I don't quite follow what media you have that requires a LLF. The following designations and products were common SSSD => Single-Sided Single-Density (RX01) SSDD => Single-Sided Double-Density (RX02) DSSD => Double-Sided Single-Density DSDD => Double-Sided Double-Density Many third party...
  8. W

All the media I purchased as RX01 floppies was formatted. If someone taken a magnet to it (and it is harder than you think), a LLF may be necessary. An RX02 drive could convert the RX01 media to the RX02 format. But anyone who used an RX01, simply purchased it as already low level formatted...
  9. W

The only time I needed to do a LLF on RX01 media (IBM 3740) was either 1) I was low on media and recycled a few with minor defects or 2) was dealing with double sided variants (index hole differences be here). Most third party drives and Qbus controllers can do this by just toggling in a few...
  10. W

Was there a VAX SBC?

There were a series of rtVAX products. The KA620 SBC as I remember it had no virtual memory functionality and could only run VAXELN Run-Time. The disabling of the memory management was like putting glue into the extra qbus slots of VAXstation II. This was to prevent the conversion of an...
  11. W

Anybody have info on a Transitional Technologies Qbus SCSI card?

Pure spectulation follows. TTI supplied their own controllers for SCSI DDS tape drives. I used a variant on an 11/750. I don't recall using a special driver and it probably came up as DEC Tape drive look alike. I never tried to attach a disk drive, but if VMS will load a the DKDRIVER for it...
  12. W

RT–11 System Internals Manual - Missing Figures

I am looking for a copy of the RT–11 System Internals Manual - AA–PD6NA–TC (V5.6) that has the figures in it. The pdf versions on Bitsavers and other places are missing almost all the figures. I don't know if these figures were lost in the conversion from a VAX Document or if were never...
  13. W

Anyone in the US have a Microvax?

What error messages do you get and/or how far do you get into the power up test? I;ve never seen a schematic of the 30-35042-01 power supply. There may be some limited detail from people who have reversed engineered it. Bad electrolytic capacitors are a common problem in gear of that era...
  14. W

Different Emulex UC07/08 versions for PDP11 and VAX ? ( UC07/08 vs. UC07/08 III )

Yes sorry - G143R dual board. The UC08 have two independent controllers sharing a board and need a Q/Q bus slot. The UC07 quad is a single populated UC08 with a few bus jumpers for the second Q bus slot. The III models have additional electrical emission suppression. I would be surprised if...
  15. W

Different Emulex UC07/08 versions for PDP11 and VAX ? ( UC07/08 vs. UC07/08 III )

I've used the UC07 (no special handles) with 11/23, 11/73, MVII and K650 in various backplanes - BA23/BA213/H9276. They were rev G and had G134R firmware. Both physical drives and SCSI2SD worked. I used VMS7.3 RT11 5.x and TSX+. Other than watch the SCSI termination, I used generic SCSI...
  16. W

BA11-VA schematics

The backplane is described in Digital_Microcomputer_Products_Handbook_1985.pdf. Drawing a blank on the power supply. Any part numbers on the circuit board?
  17. W

CMV-1000 settings

Attached of images of my CMV-1000. This board has a starting address of 0 and is 1M bytes. I've had to replace one of the memory chips. Jerry
  18. W

PDP-11 memory shenanigans

The earlier versions of RT11 may have used a bit less memory for RMON, though the RT11 team was extremely cautious about increasing its memory over time. RT11BL may be a few bytes less. The only other way I know of to get more memory on real hardware with the RT11SJ monitor is to run a 2K IO...
  19. W

PDP-11/34 restoration

Yup, I blew this. The 11/34 (and 11/40?) had switching.
  20. W

PDP-11/34 restoration

Under http://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dec/pdp11/1134/ If you haven not already reviewed it see the CPU maintenance manual for theory. There is no crystal in the 11/34 like a microprocessor. Timing of CPU clock cycles depend on the state of the of machine and can be variable...
Back