• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

Is there a fix for the Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop cooling fan?

K... I bought a spare fan off the 'Bay... and I plan on running Windows 95 on the thing. I'll look for 9x compat. versions of fan control software soon too.
  2. C

What are good examples of Windows Vista/7 era laptops that can run XP?

What about the Radeon HD cards? I saw some Win7 era laptops at the recycling center with AMD APUs and Radeon HD 6000s. ROHS changeover... When exactly was it happening? I see the GeForce 800M came out in whopping 2014... Was stuff from around 2010 or the late 2000's better in reliability?
  3. C

Is there a fix for the Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop cooling fan?

I just got this Pentium II laptop on Ebay. The cooling fan rarely runs, even when the laptop feels very warm or hot. When the fan does turn on, it's only for a second or two. Is there a BIOS update to fix it, or is the dead CMOS battery the cause? The BIOS is limited and no setting fixes it...
  4. C

I don't think I want to mess around with PAE patches, but holy smokes those are overkill graphics...
  5. C

Sorry, but what are the 600/700 series gpus?
  6. C

It turns out collecting used laptops is the best affordable option for me regarding retro gaming. I remember my dad had a WinVista HP Dv6000 laptop with an AMD Turion 64 X2 CPU and it ran great when downgraded to XP, but he wasn't a gamer. I know I need at least 128MB of video ram because my...
  7. C

Are my first 2 Linux Lakka test PCs good choices?

Hello retro gamers, Do any of you use Linux Lakka on old PCs? I am completely new to Lakka and I need guidance please on how old the choice of PCs can be. So I just picked up 2 old as dirt systems from the PC recycling center... Here's a picture of them...
  8. C

Are there any file size limitations with MD5 and SHA1?

I have a Pioneer BDR-212EBK (BD-XL) writer drive to use for the project. Based on reviews, I think Pioneer is the better quality brand compared to the LG or Asus counterpart drives. My disc burning software is very old, so I might be in need of an upgrade. This will be my very first time making...
  9. C

Did Coppermine-128 Celerons have a Processor Serial Number (PSN) like the Pentium IIIs?

I have seen some laptops, even Pentium 1 coming with a soldered BGA mobile CPU version. I've seen mobile BGA Pentium II and III's as well. Don't know how common they were though. All of these I have mentioned above are physically smaller than desktop variants and will not fit in a desktop CPU...
  10. C

Are there any file size limitations with MD5 and SHA1?

Hello guys, Within now and the next couple weeks I will be starting my long awaited Bluray M-DISC backup. The discs I will be using are 100GB each and most discs will have a single, roughly 95GB RAR archive containing all the files for that particular disc. Next to that file will be a text...
  11. C

Calling all Coppermine-128 Celeron 600 owners...

I suppose you're talking about UT 2004? That game can run on an XP-era machine, which I would be using to play it. I just saw a video where a PII 400MHz plays UT-99 very smoothly. I'm guessing based on my readings of old reviews, my Celeron 600 is equal to some kind of PII in games. Also -...
  12. C

The games I play on Win98se run good on even a Celeron 366 and 8MB video ram. I'm usually a casual gamer and thus not so picky about having access to high game settings or not. The most demanding 9x games I play are like Lego Stunt Rally. I only play games on Win9x if they refuse to run on...
  13. C

Hello guys, I'm going to start using a Celeron 600MHz (66MHz FSB) CPU in a Toshiba laptop that takes desktop Socket 370 CPUs. The system will have 256MB of ram and a 32GB SD card inside an IDE adapter for the Windows 98se OS. I am downgrading the 1GHz PIII CPU originally found in the laptop so...
  14. C

Did Coppermine-128 Celerons have a Processor Serial Number (PSN) like the Pentium IIIs?

Ha! That's a review for the exact same model CPU I recently bought on Ebay! I'm going to install it in a Toshiba laptop that surprisingly takes desktop Socket 370 CPUs. It originally came with a 1GHz PIII, but this Celeron takes about half as many watts to run; So now I can cure the laptop of...
  15. C

Other US Areas WTB::: New sealed box - Pentium iii 500MHz or 533MHz (Socket 370)

I think it was Dead Rising 3... but I'll let you know. It was a game where the bosses said a dialog before fighting you.
  16. C

Trying to remember a particular zombie game with unique bosses...

Hello guys, I'm trying to look for an awesome zombie fighting game that I can't remember the name. It was made somewhere in the 2010's and you had missions and many, many unique zombie bosses you get to fight one-on-one. What game could it be? It's a PC game, and probably on Steam.
  17. C

Other US Areas WTB::: New sealed Pentium III 500MHz Socket 370 100FSB for collection, or similar one in speed

I want one of the very first socket 370 Pentium III CPUs at the slowest speed possible. Needs to be still in original shrinkwrap.
  18. C

Can I do basic 1080p video editing with a GeForce 210?

For Xmas I was given a fancy Phenom II x6 1075T gaming PC with two GTX 660 Ti cards in SLI... :-D Big thanks to my best friend who got it from his bible reading sessions buddy. I couldn't easily afford such a system back in the day. I'm going to put Windows 7 on it and try to learn 3D modeling...
  19. C

Other US Areas WTB::: Custom GPU cooler for GeForce 200 series with the option to attach standard case fans

Thank you very much for the detailed info. Can you show me a photo of an example card with a low quality fan as you were describing in your first paragraph please?
Back