• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. Z

C-128 Garbage screen in 40 column mode

It could be a few things. Without seeing it and the board in person I can only guess. RAM would be my first guess because if something is borked in the RAM it could display corruption. I think the C128 also only tests half the memory so there could be an issue with the other half. Also char...
  2. Z

Very quick repair of post code 07 of a random mainboard with a Pentium CPU (maybe also 486, 386, ???)

I have yet to find that but I have only used them on Pentium Gen motherboards so it is good to know. The datasheet states they are direct replacements for the DS1287 but yeah I am sure there are some cases anyway. The last one I replaced was on a gigabyte motherboard. Interestingly when...
  3. Z

Very quick repair of post code 07 of a random mainboard with a Pentium CPU (maybe also 486, 386, ???)

I really hate those Dallas All in one clock/battery/sram chips. Thankfully there are alternatives and you can still buy brand new manufactured ones from Digi-Key, Mouser and even Amazon. I just bought 2 yesterday that were made in the later half of 2023. Of course they will last about 5 - 6...
  4. Z

resurrecting/upgrading power mac 7500/100

It is so odd that all of that will not work. The 7500 board is pretty robust. Unless you have the wrong memory or bad memory or broken PSUs it seems odd that all those components provide the same result. I have an old 7500 in a self-destructing case that I pull off the shelf of my office...
  5. Z

Announcing ZuluIDE - an ATAPI CD-ROM and Removable (read-write) media emulator

Thanks for sharing and I am glad the ZuluIDE is on the horizon. I could probably use it now as is but my main use case is Fixed Disk HD emulation. That said I am open to supporting and will take the rest to email. Thanks and please keep us updated on this thread if you can on major milestones.
  6. Z

I hope that fixes it. I seem to recall there is a CUDA chip reset button on the logic board. I seem to remember having to use that button in order to get one of my PCI Power Macs to boot after swapping CPU or something. When you get your new CPU card and it still doesnt boot, try holding that...
  7. Z

386 PC Suggestions

Oh thanks for pointing that out. I am not sure what happen to the link I put in there but clearly it did not save. It is here: Lucky Star 386SXA
  8. Z

386 PC Suggestions

I have tried many different SIMM modules now and this thing still refuses to get past the beep code for bad RAM. If I take the RAM out there is no beep codes but the same post codes on the analyzer. What I have tried: Keyboard connected Battery Connected VGA Card connected Re-flowed all the...
  9. Z

It certainly can't hurt unless you do damage while recapping. I have a 7200/75 logic board I don't use and took a few caps off just to see and none of them had any signs of leaking. But yeah they are almost 30 years old at this point so they should all be considered time bombs... That 6100...
  10. Z

Yeah if the problem is the CPU card then it wouldn't hurt to upgrade it. None of the PowerMacs I have seem to have any cap issues. The only PowerMac I have needed to recap was a 6100 as the caps were leaking and literally falling off the board. I don't know if they used better caps on the PCI...
  11. Z

The 820-0780-A is not a G3/G4 card. Apple didn't make a G3 processor card for the older PCI macs. At least not that I recall. I know 3rd party cards are available as I have a G3 made by another company. The 820-0780-A is a 150 Mhz 604 CPU. I think originally paired with an 8500 or 9500...
  12. Z

386 PC Suggestions

Thank you. That is what I thought too. Perhaps something else is dodgy on this board. I will keep trying other modules. I have checked the SIMM sockets and they are clean as I did clean them and no cracked solder joints or anything that I can tell with a magnifier. I guess I need to dig...
  13. Z

386 PC Suggestions

Just to add a couple things I missed. I removed the barrel battery and amazingly it did not leak even a little. So got lucky on that one. It has an EXT BATT connector so a 3AA holder should do the trick. For storage I have plenty of IDE drives but more then likely will use a CF card. I want...
  14. Z

386 PC Suggestions

Greetings All, I recently found a 386 Baby AT board and thought it would be fun to build a PC around it as I didn't experience 386 DOS days as I was an Amiga user until a 486 in 1994. So I am looking for comments and suggestions and help along the way to make this thing work. The motherboard...
  15. Z

We need something better than cards for retro PC HD Drive Replacement

With regard to the ZuluSCSI and the Blue to a degree there have been loads of firmware releases that have fixed a ton of issues and added a lot of features. Perhaps the newer releases will fix your issues? One thing they added with Zulu that makes it super easy to create images is to put a...
  16. Z

True. After talking with the developer about HD support, it sounds like it is on the table but no ETA. For now it can emulate Read-Only CD/DVD of arbitrary size, Read/Write ATAPI removable volumes of arbitrary size or IE ZIP size. So it can be of use now. Storing many image files on a SD card...
  17. Z

Ultimate Pentium Build

My Pentium era stuff is usually from Gateway 2000. I personally like the P5-75 to 120 range. They have great DOS and Windows 3.1 and 95 compatibility. Though I find myself using my PIII PC much more. That one for me was my hand picked choice. It is a build with a Slot 1 800E, Asus...
  18. Z

Oh bummer. I'll let you know if/when I do. They are packed in a box right now due to recently moving. As for BlueSCSI and ZuluSCSI I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the current firmwares. Yeah for those computers it should be a no brainer. And yes transfer rate is meaningless if it crashes. I...
  19. Z

Yes I noticed that too. I am not sure the status. I have sent them an email and awaiting a response. What kind of problems? I found ZuluSCSI to be superior to SCSI2SD in every way. Of course we all have different use cases. Mine has been with classic Macs and Amiga. I like them so much...
  20. Z

Oh You are right. Looks like there is already a landing page for it here: ZuluIDE. Not sure what they can do about transfer speed though. Early IDE should be no problem with the hardware they use as the transfer speeds were pretty slow but later Ultra ATA 33-133 were quite a speed improvement...
Back