• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. I

decwriter II (LA36) with datasouth board - rs232 questions

I have just obtained a decwriter II (LA36) 1977 is what the label on it says. After a bit of clean and tidy, check PSUs etc, in local mode the unit (almost works). I have a pin that does not fire when the carriage is towards the left. I think the ribbon cable is frayed/faulty - - anyway I can...
  2. I

can anyone identify this IDE disk connector - and where I might get/butcher one?

I have an old military computer (UK/NATO) probably 486/586. And LXI (or an LX1). However I dont have an (easy) way to get an IDE disk into the beast. Why not? A strange connector on the IDE - 60pin, comes in from a 50 pin (keyed) IDE. I have been hunting for ages - either for a disk or for...
  3. I

Wanted - terminals - UK (Scotland) area

I am looking for a few RS232 type terminals - not particularly worried if they are vintage or vetran/old. These are to interface to PDP11s of various sorts - when I dont want to demo with my teletypes. I would prefer not to use dip/minicom on a PC.
  4. I

KC341-B help understanding the circuit diagram please - MPS - KC7341 too

I am starting to look at putting one of Jorgs boards behind my KC341-B (some manuals call it a KC7341 AKA MPS). This is a long-term project and I am just in the initial stages - understanding the diagram and planning the wiring. I have not applied power to the board yet. I am that early in...
  5. I

can anybody identify this old disk drive and/or tape drive?

I can get lots more photos if it might help somebody. This disk unit is part of a large pdp8/i rack. Fixed disk, 19" rack mounting about 8" in total height. The disk containing cylinder is LIKE that of a RS03/04 - about 16" in diameter and perhaps 4" high. Very little on it by way of labels...
  6. I

11/70 mounting panel/support

I have an 11/70 front panel - but not the complete computer ;-( The panel has been beagleboned with Jorg Hoppes kit. The unit has been in a portable/luggable case for a while. I now want to fit it into a DEC rack. I have BA-11 cabs and bits and pieces, but I cant find in the engineering...
  7. I

looking (again) for a PSU guru.

Some of my 11/84 PSUs are not working (working well). I am trying to find somebody with any skill or knowledge in debugging this hardware - H7202B. At the very least if somebody could explain to me what signals need to be held low to get the PSU to (try to) start that would be great. J5 pin...
  8. I

capatob/saratov - cross posting. Looking for help.

Three questions: one: a similar message has been posted to a number of lists. Sorry if you are getting bombed. I have the front panel off a ?Russian? Capatob computer. Rumours are that this is a sort of pdp8/m. I am planning to reenergise the panel and drive it with Joerg Hoppes blinkenboard...
  9. I

PSU: pdp11/10; 5v on regulator board (not the H744) damaged

This idiot thinks he shorted the Anode (red lines in the circuit diagram in the link) to ground. Dont ask - scope lead and careless and and.. Anyway what was a nice pulse (but with a bit of ring) at that point has now flat-lined. I have some skill with an iron, but little skill in...
  10. I

paper tape reader/punch

I am in the market for a DEC pdp11 tape reader/punch. If you know of one let me know pls?
  11. I

Bitten off more than I can chew?

I need moral support pls. I have bitten off a hunk more than I thought I had. I have a disk that needs an RH11 controller. I have (I believe) all the RH11 cards (BTW but what the ** is this unibus A/B stuff !!, can I simplify the build with only one bus?). but I don't have an RH11 backplane...
  12. I

RS03 - some photos of the cards on the inside

Those, and a few more photos, are in http://www.scotnet.co.uk/iain/DEC/RS03/index.html. That is a lot of cards to spin a disk and read the data - especially when the PDP controller is a bunch of cards too. M7758 and W906 I am going to have to go are read these ones up.
  13. I

polymorph - brackets and things - not a 3D printer but cheap and very cheerful

I dont know how widespread it is. Not sure if many people are aware of this. In Scotland we get a thermosetting polyester called "polymorph". It goes soft at about 70 oC - so can we worked with water just off the boil. I have just finished manufacturing some brackets to (finally) get some of...
  14. I

v7 unix and architecture/model questions

I should know the answer to this, but I cant find the neuron with the info. An hour on the web left me just as neuronless. I wanted to boot up my rl02 Version 7 unix on one of my "currently with power" systems. I cant get it to boot on a 34/73/83/84 then I stopped. On my 94 I get @boot New...
  15. I

M7196 documentation/circuit diagram (TSV05)

My TS05 tape drive wont go online ;-( I have some manuals for the TS[V]05 drive itself but I cant find anything detailed for the M7196 controller. The manual says that the online light wont light when the drive does not "see" the controller. There are some wee bits in the TSV05 user-guide and...
  16. I

RJS03/04 - any experience out there?

I am the proud owner of an RJS03 fixed-head disk system. I don't have the guts to power it up yet - Scotland cant afford to lose another Hunterston reactor over the cold period :p More seriously I need to strip down the boards, inspect, clean, reassemble before I go anywhere near putting power...
  17. I

not a serious post - New cracks in Hunterston reactor ....

I dont believe in coincidences. For the past 6 weeks or so I have has two full pdp-11 racks powered up for a significant number of hours in the day. Just recently this appeared in our news feeds ... New cracks found in the core of the Hunterston-B nuclear reactor could threaten operator EDF's...
  18. I

MFM emulator, zrqch0 and friends - some notes

I have been running a couple of mfm emulator boards (http://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/) for a while now. Most things working very well. At present all on 11/73 and 11/83 with BSD2.11 as the OS - but I have plans to move to older kit once I get an understanding of the MFM and what it does. First...
  19. I

11-73 boot eprom setup advice - can anybody assist (KDJ11-B Setup mode ROM V8.0)

KDJ11-B Setup mode ROM V8.0 (etc - I have a few other versions - all the same behaviour) Up until now I have only ever booted my 73s/83s off of one device of a particular type. Say an RL (DL0) or a scsi (DU0) card I would now like to boot from 2 or more devices of the one class(emulex...
  20. I

LATFP - low information content - RD53 M7555 DX2/3 format issues

A wee story. I hope it saves somebody time. I work with the 11/73 (9 slot) computer on a worktop. The front faces the wall, the back faces me - so I get access to the cards etc. I just grope around the front to switch things on/off and/or to reboot. I have been trying to get some micropolis...
Back