• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Wrecked Pad Recapping on a Macintosh Portable

I apologize for posting this so soon after the other Portable restoration thread. I've had mine sitting around for a few years. I recapped all but one capacitor a year or two ago, and then I let it sit. At the time, it didn't seem to work it all. When I broke it out recently, it definitely...
  2. R

Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh Issue

Hey, I got a pretty good deal on a Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh from the original owner. He told me he'd gotten it a few years after the release when the price came down and he and his wife had used it for at least 5 or 6 years (but maybe as many as 10) - so probably 1999-2005/2009... - and...
  3. R

6500-9600 Processor Card Compatibility

I haven't compared the two physically but the bus speeds seem to in theory not rule out cross-compatibility. I got a 6500 today that I plan to part out and I'm wondering if there's any value in keeping the 6500's processor card - probably novelty value since I think I have the 300 9600 and not...
  4. R

Franklin Ace 1200 Power Issue

I got a Franklin Ace 1200 the other day. The previous owner noted he got it to boot but was ditching it (I asked because of the price) because he had no software. When I turned it on, after opening it up just to look at the cards, it briefly turned on (the disk drives engaged and the "On"...
  5. R

Macintosh Portable Restoration Help

This is preemptive. I'm almost done recapping and I'm convinced it's not going to come out of that working properly. If it does this thread will result in a pretty picture.
  6. R

Pro Tools 5.1 / Digidesign 888 24-bit Interface Help

I'm a total novice with both this hardware and software and I found the Digidesign manual really unhelpful. I found suggestions in the Pro Tools 5.0.1 manual that the device should be turned on before the computer. But every time I turn my computer (Power Macintosh 9600/300) on with the device...
  7. R

DEC Transceivers

I found a bunch of random networking and SCSI equipment from (I think) DEC systems. Various transceivers - twisted pair to 10/base T; AUI to 10baseT and a combination of all three of those standards. Also At least two HP Deskjet cards that may actually just be general SCSI cards, and at least...
  8. R

Atari ST Midi Software Synth

Hey, I originally asked for help under the Amiga section but I'd also like to solicit opinions on the best MIDI software sequencers for ST (I think that's what I want) that have the ability to synthesize sounds on the ST in realtime (assuming that's possible) and/or that can synthesize on the ST...
  9. R

Amiga 500 Internal Floppy Drive in Atari ST?

I have a modified floppy drive in my ST, because the original drive was dead. After months of storage the modded drive (inexplicably) doesn't work. I resoldered the mods to no effect. I have a dead Amiga 500 with a drive going to no use at the moment. Will that work without modification in...
  10. R

USB-MIDI Converter?

Hey, for a while I've been progressively assembling my vintage studio. I doubt I'll use it over my modern PC, but I would like to test it. One component of this is using a MIDI keyboard on my Amiga 2000. Sadly I threw out all my MIDI keyboards 10 years ago. I'm looking for a cheap one near...
  11. R

Powerbook (3400/3500/probably 5300) ATA Failure

There's a longstanding issue with Powerbook 3400s in particular, but I most recently encountered it in my Kanga, in which the ATA bus stops working properly but can sometimes be "jumpstarted" by connecting a device to the SCSI bus (odd, I know). It turns out the fix - at least in my Kanga's...
  12. R

Intel P8021H 2173 / Mac M0110A Keyboard

I need to replace the logic IC in an original Mac keyboard. It uses the Intel P8021H 2173. I've seen other numbers at the end of that (like 2175). Does anyone know what 2173 means? The cheapest I could find (on Ali Baba) was $14 for a chip; so I'd rather go cheaper if possible. I've found a...
  13. R

Coral Allegro Common LISP

Where does one find a copy? Not the Apple-branded, bundled re-release - the original Coral, pre-acquistion version. [I guess this also applies to Pearl LISP - also not the post-acquisition re-brand.]
  14. R

External 400k Floppy / Original Mac Keyboard Issues

The keyboard doesn't seem to work at all, but my Mac Plus keyboard works fine on the Macintosh. The TI SN74LS123N chip's pins seem blackened, so my I'm going to replace that next - I've cleaned the traces on the bottom with isopropyl and reseated that chip and the Intel 8021 chip to no effect...
  15. R

ProDOS 2.4

Has anyone gotten this to work in physical form? I downloaded both the torrent and the Archive versions. On Sheepshaver it shows up as a format problem requiring me to format the disk image. On OS 7.5.3 it just says there's a file error. I tried using a converter tool and it converted from...
  16. R

Power Macintosh 9600 issues

I got a PM 9600 in a Marathon PowerRack from a pro audio guy today. It works more or less but I'm having really weird boot issues (and consistency issues) that I'm starting to suspect are the beginning of cap issues. Until I can replace them I also strongly suspect for various reasons that the...
  17. R

Amiga 2000 Capacitors List

Same question; hopefully better answers. http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?p=812333
  18. R

New Amiga Haul... Almost Immediately Broke Down in front of me...

I got a crazy and crazy cheap set of an Amiga 2000 and 500 with an insane amount of accessories and software. The 500 has a faulty PSU that I'll put way to the side for the moment. The 2000 worked okay until I tried to swap out the HD. Then it progressively had trouble booting until it would...
  19. R

Quicktake IIgs

I'm assuming not, but does anyone know for sure? (My question is whether there is software that'll let the IIgs download images from a Quicktake camera.) [I'm hopefully going to do my first oral arguments as a law student next month, in federal court no less, and I scanned the permission...
  20. R

Kaypro 2x on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121895744522
Back