• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

3-1/2 floppy-drives not responding to floppy being inserted when not attached to a PC

Was doing some cleaning (disassembly and running a cleaning-disk through them) and low-level testing (hooking up to a power-supply) of my loose floppy-drives recently, scared up twelve laying around. Eight of them do a head-to-zero check and/or spin when a floppy is loaded, four do neither. I...
  2. G

Intra-Con back panel (wire-wrap backplane) by Dynatech P/N: 21600154 Rev C

A column of nine 60-pin slots, spacing close or equivalent to ISA, mounted to an aluminum plate with the pins going through holes in the plate, guarded by rubber grommets. Think it was in a lot of old computers/test-equipment from a local college. Anybody know anything about its usage?
  3. G

UVP DE-4 EPROM Erasing System, still works after all these years!

Recently, as part of working on a couple projects, I dug deep into my cluttered storage-spaces and dug out my old UVEPROM eraser and did a tear-down/clean-up. It ended up being buried deep in my shed when I finally found it. It needed cleaning because it had previously stored in a location that...
  4. G

Enlight early-ATX power-supply, low -12 rail, can it be fixed or adjusted?

Enlight Corporation (made in China) EN-8254942 MODEL: HPC-250G2 REV:A1-01 250W MAX. This is the power-supply from my old Win98 P2/P3 tower (I upgraded it to P3), which semi-recently had the BIOS start complaining of power rails being under-spec, and that continuing to operate the machine in...
  5. G

Reviving an unbranded/unknown CPU-3216SX AT motherboard.

This is the board: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/unknown-cpu-3216sx (funny thing, the latching switch was in the location for the Reset switch and the momentary was in the Turbo-switch spot, from the factory!) I was checking the old stored computers from my younger days to see if any...
  6. G

Dead AT PC power-supply, 200W Jetpro, buzzing transformer, is it fixable?

Rescued/retrieved an old 386 Infonet PC from my garage recently. Still had the Varta battery on it, mild leakage, minimal damage, I just need to replace one DIP-socket. However, in testing the power-supply, a 200W Jetpro S/N: B910917229, I found it wasn't putting out any of the proper voltages...
  7. G

Missing resistor on Oak Tech 16-bit ISA VGA card, what should it be?

Chipset: OTI067, FCC ID: IDW87082025, board-number: Rev B 1087082025, S/N: 21M0502279, the missing resistor is R26, in-line between the oscillator pin on the ISA bus and U5/OTI068. (the first '8' in both the FCC ID and the board-number looks like a '6', but the FCC ID is invalid if it's input as...
  8. G

Just out of curiosity, anybody know this chip from a CPU-3216SX 386 board?

It's marked UTI-002-2 189-00-1BS Date-code 9112. The pictures at https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/unknown-cpu-3216sx show it paper-labeled as a PAL. As an aside, the battery was still on this board (the whole reason I was digging my old computers out of the garage was to check for...
  9. G

Anybody got a spec-sheet/datasheet for an 8-pin SMT chip marked National Semiconductor 79BT 2951 CMB?

Got an old Pentium-era Packard Bell (something close to an M415) with both heat-sinks/voltage-regulators ripped off/missing. (scrapper damage) Just for kicks, I'm trying to get it going again, or at least ascertain its condition. To that end, here is the info I posted to my other thread. Anybody...
  10. G

Packard Bell M415 with heat-sinks/voltage-regulators ripped off, anyone know the specs?

Forget when/where I got this all-in-one mobo, but it was after scrappers had ripped the heat-sinks off, taking the voltage-regulators with them. Nothing special about this board, just want to see if it functions at all for the heck of it. Its al;so missing the riser-card, unless I have that...
  11. G

What's an Adam Bus? Is it the same as an S-100 bus?

Saw this card on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/184526064311 and wondered if anyone knew anything about it? I'm not gonna buy it, and I'm not advertising it to induce anyone else to (seller describes items very minimally) but was simply curious.
  12. G

Easy DIY circuits to drive salvaged spindle-motors of various pin-outs?

Suppose this is the best section to put this in, as it's not quite computer-specific although I am using some parts salvaged from computers. I have the spindle-motor from a destroyed ST4038 (6 wires, unknown voltage), the head-stepper from some vintage/early 3-1/2 IDE HDD (4 wires, 12-volt)...
  13. G

Can't guarantee it's from a computer, but what is this component?

This is an old component I ran across in my parts-drawers recently and was unable to identify, you folks got any ideas?
  14. G

Controller-board from unknown 5-1/4 floppy-drive, can anyone identify?

I think I've had this board (and most of its peripherals- sensors, head-motor, heads) since I was in the single-digits of age, back when I thought smacking circuit-boards with a hammer was great fun. Now I'm much wiser and I'm trying to repair this board (plus the two controller-boards from a...
  15. G

Identifying capacitors on TEAC floppy controller board

Main-board from a TEAC FD-55GFR. The two capacitors (C25 + C23) in the driver-circuit for the stepper that drives the head, are they non-polarized or just not labeled with clear polarization? (the silk-screening doesn't show any indication of polarization either) Related question: Is the stepper...
  16. G

Broken links in older threads

Here: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/new-buyers-and-sellers-read-this-using-private-messages.22019/ The hall-of-shame links are broken. I'm not sure of the exact cutoff, but it's at least 2010-or-earlier inter-forum links no longer work. They can be fairly easily figured out via...
  17. G

Winbond w85c168 datasheet needed

I was able to read this chip using my EP1132 and determine that it's empty, but that's pretty much all I know about it at this point. It's a DIP-24 plastic-package chip, but I don't know if it's an OTPROM, an EEPROM, or what size it is. Heck, a source for Winbond datasheets in general would be...
  18. G

Reading a N82S123AN PROM, what do I use?

I have a BPMicro EP1132 but it doesn't seem to support PROMs? At least the BPWSoft-03 program doesn't bring anything up in the device list.
  19. G

A question of scents- Do the epoxy-brick Commodore supplies all share the same smell?

I'm asking because the two that I've disassembled so far have both smelled like mildew/old shoe-polish. This could just be from being stored in damp environments, or it could be some chemical in the epoxy itself that's released when it's fractured. What findings do you folks report?
  20. G

Salvaging the Commodore 64 'Brick-of-Death' epoxied power-supply and rebuilding it. (many pictures)

First off, I know many don't find this to be a worthwhile project, preferring to build/buy an all-new or pre-rebuilt supply instead. I respect that. It's a money-versus-time issue and most people have more money to put into this hobby than I currently do. However, I have lots of time and enjoy...
Back