• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. L

What might this be?

Found this up for sale in the local market. I haven't used a DEC computer for about 30 years.
  2. L

Tandy 1000 RLX using a Seagate ST325X - disk errors

My Tandy 1000 RLX (B) had the Tandy 40MB drive option, which is the Seagate ST351A/X in XT mode. Those seem hard to find and are pricey. I found a seller on ebay with NOS Seagate ST325X 20MB drives, so I bought one. I connected it in place of the ST351A/X and proceeded to install MS-DOS 5 and...
  3. L

Tandy 1000 RLX VGA port - blanked pins

I just picked up a Tandy 1000 RLX, VGM-220 monitor, Keyboard, and mouse. Found a lot of useful information about the system, but I could not find out why the monitor is missing 2 pins from the standard VGA connector. The RLX video port is blanked out for those two pins, so I can't just use my...
  4. L

Help identifying floppy drive model - need to align

I picked up a couple of 1/2 height drives with a 5160 system. One drive seems to be fine. The other appears to need alignment according to my tests with IMD. The manufacturer's labels are in pretty bad shape, so I can't decipher the model number. The closest drive in my documentation files...
  5. L

MASM 5.1 to .COM file under MS-DOS 6.22?

After decades of being a TRS-80 collector, I got an IBM 5150 and 5160. My one and only MASM project back in the 80s was a TSR to collect instrument data from the serial port and save them to disk as a background task while the PC was used for data processing or word processing. I have the...
  6. L

Looking for info on TEC FB-201DV floppy drive aka 26-3022

I picked up this drive. Apparently is is a color computer floppy drive, but I don't have (or need) the controller. Best I can tell is it's a 35-track SS drive. The circuit board is quite different from the other floppy drives I've seen. Doesn't appear to have a drive select. I cleaned it up...
  7. L

Thousands of DOS games have been added to the Internet Archive

This article popped up in my newsfeed. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/10/thousands-of-dos-games-have-been-added-to-the-internet-archive/
  8. L

Any means to create error map for MFM hard drive?

I have an IBM WD12 FH 10 MB drive. I have it connected to a TRS-80 Model 4P computer through a WD1002-05/HDO controller and a homebrew interface board. When doing a low level format, it completes Head 0, then reports an error about halfway through Head 1 and stops. I know the interface works...
  9. L

Compact flash as IDE drive won't boot

Based on suggestions here, I thought I'd try to use a compact flash card as an IDE drive in my Pentium 233MMX computer. The BIOS can't recognize >8.4 GB, and smaller drives are becoming more rare. I picked up a StarTech 40/44 pin compact flash adapter to test with a Toshiba 512 MB card I had...
  10. L

WTB - 2GB to 8.4 GB IDE hard drives for a socket 7 P233 system

According to the mobo docs, 8.4 GB is the largest it can handle. Want spare drive(s) to install alternate operating systems.
  11. L

Manual for NewDOS/80 1.0 for TRS-80 Model I?

I've looked in all the places I could think of, but can't find the manual for NewDOS/80 1.0. Plenty of hits for 2.0 and 2.5. Anyone know if there is a scanned version out there?
  12. L

TAS - The Alternate Source - TRS-80 Journal wanted

I'm looking for issues of TAS for the TRS-80. Will pay reasonable price and shipping.
  13. L

TRS-80 Model I with buffered cable mod

I just got one of these beasts. Never had the buffered cable mod on any of the Model Is I own or have owned. I know the EI has 5V running to the card edge, and so has to have the buffered cable to attach to the keyboard, but does the modified keyboard/CPU have to have it? Can I connect the...
  14. L

TRS-80 Model I won't boot

Picked up a 16K Level II keyboard, expansion interface, and monitor from ebay last week. Sort of an odd system. Was built for Canada, so the power supplies and monitor have 3-prong plugs, and labels were added with French wording on them. The keyboard unit shows no sign of wear on the front...
  15. L

Tweener computer RAM test recycles during POST and other problems

This is a Pentium III machine, so not vintage by this site's definition, so I'll post here hoping for some insight. P3/866 512MB RAM, ASUS TUS2-C mobo, NVidia AGP video card. I moved the machine in my vehicle last Fall. It worked fine before that, dual booting XP and Win98 (and DOS). After...
  16. L

Wanted - technical info on making bootable Model III disks for a 4P

There's an earlier thread with an image for NewDOS/80 DS that will load ModelA/III. I'm curious as to the mechanism of that. I didn't seem to have challenges with DOSPlus or LDOS, but MultiDOS is a challenge. Just copying the file onto the disk doesn't work. If anyone knows what the...
  17. L

5.25 Floppy alignment or track 0?

I just got a Shugart SA455 floppy drive. The drive will format, read, and write to disks, but can not read disks made in any of my other drives. Disks made in my other drives are interchangeable except with the SA455. Based on research, this implies an alignment issue. There are instructions...
Back