• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. C

Sun386i. Overdrive processors: Why don't they work?

Ok, so 35 years ago the Sun386i was pretty much abandoned as a platform. Which is not totally fair, it's actually a nice little system with an impressive framebuffer, network, all the bells and whistles. It's biggest problem is the CPU is just dog slow. It has no on board cache, clocks at 25mhz...
  2. C

H7484 interlock tips for testing and troubleshooting.

Evening all! Over the winter I'm planning on repairing this H7484 power supply and chassis for a Vax 4000-100 system. I've sold the CPU and memory, but would like to use it for a seriously sized pdp11/84. Given that all slots are CD bus it should be able to handle all the goodies including PMI...
  3. C

Mid Atlantic 286 upgrade board for your XT

Have a Mountain Racecard, which is an 80286 board with 8k cache that plugs into your XT to make it "faster" Yes, the ribbon cable plugs into the 40 pin inline and the CPU socket. It's in the 80287 coprocessor socket for safe keeping. Make me an offer...
  4. C

Install RT11 on a real Pro/380. How?

So in my not-so-endless amount of time here I've been fiddling with running RT11 on my Pro/380. Nice system, I currently run a very large 3.2 OS on it with a real RD53 with all the bells and whistles including Decnet for the Ethernet card, a 512mb enhanced daughtercard on the CPU board, and at...
  5. C

Firing up my old Newtons....

While cleaning out a drawer I came across my old Newtons. One was a MP100 that was one of the original pre-orders. Old enough that I have the metal stylus for it (yes I sent in the coupon). I might have the box downstairs somewhere, the thing was that revolutionary to me. The other is a MP130...
  6. C

Mid Atlantic BM08L chassis or similar unit needed

I have an 8/L and really could use a BM08L or the other memory box. Let me know what you have, we can either trade stuff (how about an AF01?) or do money.
  7. C

Mid Atlantic 2 2 megabyte DEC Q Bus memory cards for sale

I have two spare 2mb memory boards for sale. Third party memory, dual width, parity/block mode DMA memory, both tested and work fine. $150 each or $250 for the pair, if shipped will be done USPS Priority Mail.
  8. C

Repair of a Clearpoint DCME-Q4E-F

Well, this is interesting. Bought a Clearpoint 4mb PMI memory board on Ebay from a reputable seller. Got the card, plugged it in, didn't work. Changed one jumper that appeared to be the +5 battery/+5 line, and the card came up. Probably was used in a pdp11 with battery backup memory. Anyway...
  9. C

Benchmarking PMI vs Q Bus memory, what's faster

So I have a second pdp11 running, this one has an 11/83 CPU with FPU, RQDX3 plus RD54 drive, RSX11M+ 4.6, a DEQNA, and a couple of other things that don't matter much. I've been working on configuring it for DECNET and TCP/IP and wondered what memory configuration would provide the fastest boot...
  10. C

Using GoTek floppy emulators on a Professional 350/380

Good morning! Wanted to get this down here for others who might have this issue: I have a pair of Professional/380 systems that I used to use long ago with P/OS 2.0. One system had a RD52 drive (31mb) and the other had an RD51 (10mb). The better system has a working RX50+controller, hard disk...
  11. C

Repair of a DEC MSV11-QC card

One of the interesting cards I have is a MSV11-QC Dec memory card. This is a pretty neat one: It has 4mb of memory on board (a full pdp11 worth, 2mw) is quad width, supports block DMA and is probably the best memory card outside of PMI (which can only support 2mb per card due to ECC). However it...
  12. C

Apple II keyboard repairs. Plastic parts?

Have been restoring a pair of Apple IIe's that have been around pretty much forever. Both come up (one is a platnium, the other is an early model IIe) however both have at least one key broken at the stem. Is it possible to take the key switches apart and replace that part? I have a 3d printer...
  13. C

AT&T 7300 PC: Adventures in installing ETHERNET!!!

Hi all! In a nutshell I have an AT&T 3B1/7300 PC, 2mb RAM on board, old software, and a genuine Ethernet card. After many decades a copy of the ETHERNET+IN cpio file has been published, so I downloaded it, recompressed it from .gz to .Z (as my 7300 doesn't have gzip), fired up Kermit, copied...
  14. C

Restoring a Sun 386i: What a mess, anyone have a running one?

So I'm digging through all my old stuff here and in the pile are three Sun386i's that I last used back in the 90's. One of them has a CG3, one has a CG5, and the third has a mono display card. All have been stored in the bedroom closet and haven't been powered up since about 1996 I think...
  15. C

TU58 repair and tolerances

So in addition to everything else I'm working on fixing a TU58 drive. It's one of those "Got to do one thing, then another then...." kinds of projects. So far I have: Fixed the power supply so I have solid +5 and +12 volts. Gotten it cabled to a pdp11/23+ CPU (10 pin ribbon cable, right...
  16. C

Restoring a Dec MiniMinc / PDT11-150

I figured it would be worthwhile to start a thread on my fixing of an old MiniMinc. This system was a pdt11/150 that DEC sold with a basic on floppies to do some scientific analysis. Functionally it's a good old pdt11/150 with a different badge. Problem is it's been sitting for 20+ years and is...
  17. C

It's sad when a Perq gets drunk.....

Walked out my front door and found this passed out on my walkway. Sad to see those who can't handle their booze..... I'll let 'em sleep it off.
  18. C

Time to repair the pdp11/05 (how many of these do I have?)

Ok, with the pdp8/L's in a good state I figured it was time to work on the 11/05. This is an old system, ran many years ago when I would use it for RT11. I kept it because it was heavy, and because it has a really cool front switch panel with LEDs! Anyway, pulled it out from under the marimba...
  19. C

Time to repair the *second* pdp8/L

Ok, so with the first pdp8/L of mine "working" I decided it's time to start working on the second one. This one was a bit more of a basket case, I bought both of them together years ago and I think this was the one that was the spares pile for the first one. So it's going to have a lot of...
  20. C

Time to rebulid the pdp8/L

I have a pair of pdp8/L's here that I picked up years ago and it's about time I got around to restoring unit #2. Unit #1 is missing somewhere here, I got it to the point where it ran basic programs and I think it's in the closet underneath the pdp8/E. Anyway, first step was cleaning up the key...
Back