• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. brassicGamer

Sound Card / Serial Port Conflict

Well, what do you know. Removed the board. Was hesitant to until now because it's a PITA in this case, but there really wasn't anything left to try. Went over it with a magnifying glass and, what did I find? A sus-looking patch around some vias. First thing I did was test conductivity on...
  2. brassicGamer

There's definitely no battery damage - this board was pristine when I got it (and worked perfectly, remember), plus it uses a RAMified Dallas RTC with coin cell mod. I think it has got to the point where I should remove the board. Who knows - perhaps a screw or some metallic detritus is causing...
  3. brassicGamer

The reason I didn't think it would make any difference is because the SB is IRQ5 and the GUS is IRQ7 so I have already tested different IRQs. I changed the SB to IRQ2 anyway out of curiosity but it made no difference. I had started to feel like this was going to need a scope at some point...
  4. brassicGamer

When this system was working perfectly, it was setup as follows: - QDI QD6580 VLB controller (IRQ14) - Tseng ET4000 W32i - Voyetra V-4000 (330h, IRQ3) - Adaptec EISA SCSI interface (IRQ11) - 3com Etherlink III 3C509B (280h, IRQ10) - Gravis UltraSound Classic (240h, IRQ7, DMA3) - Sound Blaster...
  5. brassicGamer

It does seem like this is the kind of problem I'm dealing with. It's just weird that it happens with literally every single sound card I own, even the AdLib which is a ridiculously simple design. Actually I just tried that again because it didn't quite make sense and - guess what - it *didn't*...
  6. brassicGamer

Well, yeah I've done all that and that's why I've got the problem - there are no conflicts that I can detect because every device is accounted for. That's why I'm looking for some help that goes beyond the usual troubleshooting steps.
  7. brassicGamer

'Corrupted OS'? This is almost certainly a hardware problem - I thought that was obvious from what I wrote. I didn't include that I also booted from a different hard drive with a different OS installation I can say with almost 100% certainty that it would fix the problem considering that the...
  8. brassicGamer

I've tried 3.1, 3.11 and WFW 3.11 - it's OS independent anyway because it occurs in DOS.
  9. brassicGamer

Hello folks. I've done as much troubleshooting on this problem as I possibly could before coming here, so hopefully we can find a solution to this particularly odd issue. The system in question used to work perfectly and now there is a specific problem: the mouse does not track when an ISA...
  10. brassicGamer

Toshiba T1000 variants

Hi there, just thought I would add that I have the same motherboard revision as you, though my silkscreen is white rather than yellow. I am missing PJ20 from my board and also have space for crystal X7. I'm seriously considering reverse-engineering the board, as this would be a wonderful...
  11. brassicGamer

Toshiba T1000

Is it too late for me to reply to this?
  12. brassicGamer

Wanted: Toshiba Deskstation V PA2710U

These badboys seem impossible to find these days. I've even been able to track down an external FDD for my Tecra 740CDT but the docking station eludes me. So if anyone has, or knows of, a Toshiba Deskstation V (or Plus) then I would be very interested in acquiring one. Thanks! Amazingly there...
  13. brassicGamer

Tech Predictions That Came True

I was reading through BYTE's 15 year anniversary edition from September 1990, where a bunch of industry veterans spout their ideas and predictions for the future of computing. I read a particularly interesting paragraph in Jerry Pournelle's column (page 65) that goes like this: How's that for...
  14. brassicGamer

Any Members in Brisbane?

This is a particularly bizarre request. I have been researching a particular system, namely an Acer AcerMate 386/20N, and have written what I've found on my blog. So far, I can no form of documentation in digital form. However... There is apparently (according to WorldCat, at least) a print...
  15. brassicGamer

8-bit MFM Controller

Wasn't sure whether it was better to post again or edit my last - getting used to the etiquette. Also, whether I can ask for advice here (given some helpful people have engaged already here) given that I have been offered 1 of a choice of 2 controllers, both saying they support any drive up to...
  16. brassicGamer

Apple ][+ Up And Running

Well they looking brand-spanking-new to me!
  17. brassicGamer

Apple ][+ Up And Running

Hi all. I'm very excited. I discovered a dusty Apple ][+ in a server room at my workplace. I checked the PSU and it was in, frankly, amazing condition for a PC of this age. I guess quality components were used. Initially, when I powered it on, all I got was a garbled screen so I reseated the ROM...
  18. brassicGamer

8-bit MFM Controller

I have unexpectedly acquired an MFM hard drive a week after buying an XT clone with no fixed disk. But I have no controller, not a compatible one, at least. I have the fixed disk controller from a 5170 (2nd version) but I don't think I can use that because a) it's 16-bit (although I understand...
  19. brassicGamer

MFM Drives and Related stuff for sale.

Hi, there. I just acquired an MFM drive but have no controller for my XT clone. As you seem to have a lot of knowledge about this area, can you tell me if the drive pictured will be supported by any of the controllers you have? It will need to be an 8-bit card (with BIOS extensions, obviously)...
  20. brassicGamer

(Possible?) British Telecom PC Clone

Spot-on. Novell-branded ARCNet card from 1987. Hadn't heard of the standard before but it seems that, in that year at least, it shared a similar market share to Ethernet's. That is until the latter moved to twisted pair and took over. I wonder why BT went with ARCNet - can't find any reference...
Back