• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

PowerBook 5300cs booting question

Hi all, I have an otherwise perfect condition PowerBook 5300cs (yeah, I know), but it has an odd characteristic. As soon as I plug the power supply in, it automatically begins booting. Like, I don't have to touch the power-on button. Is that normal behaviour, or is something unusual going on...
  2. G

Toshiba T3100e/40 - KBC IBF/OBF ERROR

Hi all, What would "KBC IBF/OBF ERROR" mean on a Toshiba T3100e when booting? The screen seems generally okay except for some character artifacting, like it's generating garbage from the keyboard ROM. Could this be caps? Or a more serious problem with the ROM? How to fix? Thanks
  3. G

Toshiba Satellite Pro 410CDT System Disk

Hello good people, I have been setting up a vintage laptop. It's come to my attention that it normally has a special system/DOS disk. It has an external floppy drive that doesn't work properly when swapping disks and I wonder if it's because it needs that special disk to make MS-DOS play nice...
  4. G

Setting up a local vintage computing club

Hi all, I've been toying with the idea of setting up a local club to do with vintage computers. I live in a medium-sized town in southeast England. Just wondering if it's something others have done and if it's feasible? If so, how should it be organised? I'm open to all ideas...
  5. G

Coding and computer logic for a complete beginner

Hi all, I'm going to dip my toes in to coding. I'm checking out Code Academy as a start, which begins with HTML as a nice simple introduction. I'm hoping I can use these basic coding principles on some of my old machines. But as more of a curiosity than anything I want to seriously get into, I...
  6. G

Amstrad 5086 - VGA and keyboard woes...

Hi everyone! A while back I grabbed an Amstrad 5086 PC, an XT-clone. It appealed chiefly because it's very, very similar to my very first ever PC, although it's only an 8086 instead of a 286, which I think my old PC was. It was marked up as working with a screenshot of MS-DOS 3.3, but I...
  7. G

Word Processing on the Apple //e

So I recently acquired a lovely //e with 128k, 80 columns, a Softcard clone and a Floppy Emu. All set! I was hoping to use this machine as a word processor, 'distraction-free'. Is there any way to save, say, Apple Writer 2 files to a Floppy Emu disk image and then have that converted to a text...
  8. G

iBook G3 Clamshell - power cable problems

Hi folks, It's not what you think - the actual 'yoyo' which connects to the iBook works fine (power ring lights up and the iBook boots), but I found this out through the use of a third party cable. I'd very much like to use my official Apple wallplug cable though, as the third party one powers...
  9. G

Monitor/TV cable for Apple iic?

Hi all, I'm in the UK, and recently acquired a lovely (if slightly yellowed) Apple iic, accompanied with a separate 3.5" drive and US power supply. I'm trying to hunt down a cable to run it with. I have a small LCD TV with a 'PC' port, but it also has the usual other European plugs including...
  10. G

Advice on choosing vintage Apple computers?

Hi everyone, long-time lurker emerging from the shadows :) I've never owned an Apple computer, and I want to change that. The range of choices seems confusing though, especially the 1990s range of machines. I'm in the UK, so some of the choices are more limited. For example, from what I can...
  11. G

BBC Micro and Acorn Electron

Hey all, I was wondering. I know the Acorn Electron is a scaled-down, budget version of the Micro, using a similar BASIC and architecture. Naturally, it would be difficult for the Electron to play games designed for the Micro. But can the Micro play games designed for the Electron no problem...
  12. G

Advice on Amiga choice and upgrading?

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I am getting quite interested in vintage computing and thought I could tap your expertise. I am considering options for collecting vintage computers (currently proud owner of a C64 and an MSX2) and I think my next machine will be an Amiga of some sort. I am mainly...
  13. G

A newbie approaches

Hi everyone, just saying hi :) I'm Mark from London and this forum looks interesting. I've been collecting console stuff for a few years but the other day picked up a Commodore 64 on a whim and now I think a new phase in my collecting is coming about. I have an MSX now too and hoping for more...
Back