• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

The Dead Kaypros Society

I think if someone has the knowledge to program and put a new ROM in, we can assume that they would understand more about the system. I would put the format command underneath two layers of Are you sure? Then again, if macros could be created, I would want the ability to scrap the warnings...
  2. K

The Dead Kaypros Society

Hi Durgadas, I could have used something like this a while back when I was patching the Advent Turborom to use an older ACEC hard disk controller. Detailed here: kaypro-4-with-a-mini-winnie I skimmed through your document above, and the one thing that came to mind is that most of the time you...
  3. K

KayPro 4 with a Mini Winnie!

I somewhat prefer the clips rather than the direct connect. Be careful when buying the chip clips if you plan on plugging leads into them versus using clips. Some chip clips have a ball at the end of the pin meant to keep the clips from falling off of the top. So there are two types, smooth...
  4. K

Thank you for checking! I agree with you, with the repositories that I found, and all of them corrupt, this could have come from Advent. I actually started looking at all of the available C compilers to see if I could determine through the disassembly which C compiler was in use and then patch...
  5. K

Yes, these are simple "chip clips" for different pin size DIP packages. You can buy them from eBay here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225321464598 Very handy for hooking up large numbers of leads. Chris V.
  6. K

I have compiled the modifications and source code into the attached files which describe and detail the modifications for making the ACEC controller work in a KayPro 4/84. Of note: All of the ADVFMT.COM programs that I have found have the last 256 byte page cleared to 0. Somebody didn't...
  7. K

@shirsch Thank you! While I was debugging this guy, I put it over on my K10 with a stack of 40 pin sockets....about 8 or 9 of them so I could write tests between the K10 WD1002 controller and this one. That increased capacitance to the point of getting screen corruption, but, the hard drives...
  8. K

I wanted to give an update. I reverse engineered the board and have a limited schematic in KiCAD, wrote a driver that accommodated the read/write/format functions and then patched the TurboRom V3.4 and the ADVFMT program for V3.4. So, the system now boots on a 40MB Seagate ST-251 with 8...
  9. K

Yes, Winnie seems to be a common term used back in the day for referring to Winchester Hard Drives. I have found some reviews of it: Overview of Available CPM Hard disk solutions A ZCPR3 Review using Mini Winnie This review discusses the installation program, which is what I'm looking for...
  10. K

Hi all, I just received an old KayPro 4/84 with the poplular Mini Winnie hard disk controller, and the Advent TurboROM V3.0 that was supposedly modified to be able to boot directly from the Mini Winnie controller. The reviews of this board indicate that it was roughly 2x the performance of the...
  11. K

Kaypro 10 & CoPower 88

Ok, I have my system somewhat back together. I'm currently on the Universal board with 81-478a ROM. I am using the MSDOS.COM and RAMDISK.COM from http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/kaypro/copwrcpm.td0 and booting MSDOS disk http://www.retroarchive.org/maslin/disks/kaypro/copwrdos.td0...
  12. K

Bernoulli Box A210H (10+10) drives not spinning up.

Jhuyett, I have quite a bit of experience refurbishing these old Bernoulli drives. Obviously, you need to get the power supply working and running quiet. Do not put a disk in these drives until you have cleaned the head, bernoulli plate, and inspected the rubber / cork gasket that drives the...
  13. K

Tallgrass Technologies TG-6180

Hi Everyone, I recently picked up an old tape drive / hard disk combo that has the unique capability of being used in the very earliest PC 5150; the ones that don't scan high memory for ROM. These drives have a loadable bios that can be placed on a boot disk and give access to both the tape...
  14. K

IOMega Bernoulli Project

I actually live in the town where IOMega started; Ogden, UT. In a tribute to my home town, have recently embarked on a new project to restore and get a working many of the original Bernoulli boxes. I have a working: Bernoulli Box 8" 10+10 using the Alpha-10 drives Bernoulli Box II 5.25" 20+20...
  15. K

Everex Excel Streaming Tape Software V4.08

Hi Everyone, I am working on a project to create a tape backup system for some old tapes of mine. The original system (I no longer have) was a Everex Excel 150 backup. I purchased a 60MB external Everex tape drive, which came with V4.06 of the software. I then purchased a Wangtek QIC02 150MB...
  16. K

Intel Inboard 386/AT Drivers

I recently acquired an Intel Inboard 386/AT. The board required some work on the cable between the board and the CPU socket, but, I have got it working. I am looking for the complete driver disk(s) for this board. minuszerodegrees.net has some of the drivers, but not the documentation...
Back