• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. D

Insight needed: Strange console behavior on PDP-11/05

@wohali, Strange that the images have gone missing. I'm pretty sure I attached them to the posts, which should mean they were hosted by the vcfed.org server. (I'm also not getting email notifications for @ mentions, so sorry for the delay). Anyway, here are the original pictures. The...
  2. D

Format of Xenix ".pvh" table

What version of Xenix are you running? I assume its one of the later Xenix 3 variants (3.2 or greater)?
  3. D

Perfect! Thank you. I should have guessed that 0x04 was the length.
  4. D

Version number in that position makes a lot of sense, although maybe its some sort of bit field, since 0x10/16 seems like a pretty number for something that probably didn't change all that much. I gleaned the max and min numbers from what diskutil would accept. It may be that the Xenix hd...
  5. D

Anyone know the format of the ".pvh" table that is written to the first sector of the disk by the Xenix diskutil tool? I think I've figured out most of it. But there are a couple of fields that are still a mystery. Here's what I have so far: Byte Offset Length...
  6. D

RK05 disk emulator development and discussion

Wow. I'd completely forgotten that Andy wrote that.
  7. D

You get to do that. All you need is a fixed, unique sequence of bytes, preferably placed at a known location in the file (right at the beginning is good). An 8 byte sequence is the minimum I would use in this case, since you're not really space constrained. But 4 would work. It doesn't matter...
  8. D

Different Emulex UC07/08 versions for PDP11 and VAX ? ( UC07/08 vs. UC07/08 III )

I have a UC07 that I have used in a QBUS PDP-11 with various CPU configurations (M8186, M8189, M8192) and in a QSUB MicroVAX (M7620 / KA650). In all cases I booted some form of BSD (2.9, 2.11 and 4.3).
  9. D

Exactly. Although I think a hash of the header data, including the magic number, could be good as well. I bring this up because at the moment I'm busy adding support for various virtual disk container formats to my retro-fuse project. This is happening as part of my effort to support mounting...
  10. D

I suggest including a magic number at the beginning of the file to make automatic identification easier.
  11. D

PDP11/05 : the BERG40 external serial connector is weird

Congrats on your new acquisition! I also found the console connector confusing when I first got my '05. To help me wrap my head around it I put together the following doc which shows the connector pin numbering and signal assignments, as seen from the back of the system...
  12. D

PDP 11/03 running LSX with ak6dn's RX02 emulator board

Actually, it looks like each swapped out process maintains it's size in the proc p_size field. That plus a global pointing to the first unused swap block could be used to compute the parent process's first swap block on process exit/swap-in. I have to say, I like the non-BGOPTION process model...
  13. D

This is interesting. I'd always assumed that swapping in LSX worked the same as in Mini-Unix (where swap space is allocated based on process id). I see now that it is, but only when BGOPTION is enabled. I wonder why the non-preemtive option (BGOPTION undefined) wasn't included in Mini-Unix.
  14. D

Indeed! I did just that for my demo at VCF West this year: PDP-11/05 at VCFWest 2023
  15. D

Nice work! I too am fascinated by early Unixes running on low-end PDPs, and the thought of what might have been had someone continued their development. In my case, I’m working with Mini-UNIX (a descendant of LSX) running on the PDP-11/05. Its definitely fun to see 50 year old computer with...
  16. D

My new project: Foozle11 A T-11 based SBC

How does the memory banking work? Any thought of using an MMU like the 74LS612? Probably pretty straight-forward to port Mini-Unix to it. New CF disk driver plus a new console driver should do it.
  17. D

PDP-11/20 runs UNIX V1 with UniBone devices

How funny! I had that *exact* thing happen to me at VCFW while showing off my 11/05 + ME11 running Mini-Unix. Worked flawlessly the first day; next day there's a stuck bit in one of the MM11s. I just disconnected the ME11 and emulated the missing 20KW. Unibone to the rescue!
  18. D

RK05 disk emulator

Always happy to see someone making use of my little project! (y) In my experience these cables are relatively rare. Took me quite a while to acquire the one I have, and unfortunately its not in great shape (foam lining is disintegrating). Of course with my M9042 clone I didn't really need it...
  19. D

Terminal program that handle reader run signal?

Are you thinking of building a custom board for this? I ask because I wonder if it could be designed to subsume the functionality of my 11/05 console adapter? E.g. provide support for both a traditional TTY connected via RS-232 or a computer connected via USB. Also it would be great if it had...
  20. D

Terminal program that handle reader run signal?

That would be slick. I guess you'd have to decide when to exit the send mode, in the event that the system didn't consume the entire tape. Maybe after a certain amount of time with no READER RUN signal. In this case are you thinking of a TTY with an actual paper taper reader, or a terminal...
Back