• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. U

Need configuration diskette for Olivetti M300 (vanilla, not M300-15)

I have acquired an Olivetti PC with an UC112 processor board (386SX cpu). I have received it without the battery dongle, but I have recreated one using this YouTube video: and the Vogons post https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=77053 In spite of the correct battery and correct polarity, I...
  2. U

Visually tell a socket 5 from a socket 7 pentium

Dear community, I realized that I am not really able to see the extra pin in a socket 7 pentium, or then all my pentiums are socket 7. Most likely I just don't know where to look. Which one is the extra pin in a Socket 7 pentium, or where is the missing pin in a socket 5?
  3. U

I destroyed an IBM PS/2 8530 286

This is a model 8530-H31 - which is, as far as I can tell, equivalent to the 8530-E31. Or, I should say, was. Thus the destruction happened: I had errors 161 and 163, which indicated a flat battery in the Dallas RTC. So I removed the chip, and proceeded to mod it with an attached coincell...
  4. U

How to make floppies from TD0 files?

I am trying to resuscitate a HP computer (DOS-capable, IBM PC compatible-ish) and all the software is available in TD0 format - these are supposedly some kind of floppy images, but I could not find any useful info about the format. I need to make floppies in order to boot the machine and to run...
  5. U

Laplink/Fastwire client to run on Windows 7?

I know my problem is best solved with a CF card adapter, but I don't have one. I need to transfer a bunch of files from my Windows 7 workstation to some of my 386/486 machines. I have Fastwire and Laplink installed on them. I have a parallel laplink cable, and I have a parallel post on my Win 7...
  6. U

ISA Novell network card - I can't for the life of mine determine it.

Here is a photo of this Novell network card. I don't see anything akin to "NE" anywhere in the silkscreen text. Can anyone of you recognize it? Here is a higher resolution version of the same image: https://i.postimg.cc/nrZWbtQ4/Novell-NIC.jpg
  7. U

About Bus Mouse mice and the Genius GM-7

I understand that the Genius GM-7 uses the Bus Mouse protocol. But ALL the Bus Mouse cards available for the PC that I have seen use a Mini Din 9 port, whereas the Genius Mouse GM-7 uses a female DB9 connector. Was this sort of Bus Mouse type only used on home computers like Atari ST and the...
  8. U

How to determine if a Mac Classic analog board is an early or later release?

Are there any visual clues (e.g. looking at the photo of the board, component side) that would give away whether it is a Revision A or a Revision B board? I would like a Revision A as it would be compatible with my current machine (Mac Plus).
  9. U

Macintosh DE-9 mice send quadrature signals - should be easy to use on a PC?? Or not?

How hard is it to configure/modify the pinout on an old Macintosh mouse with DE-9 connector, to work on a PC with a serial port? Impossible, barely possible, hard, easy? Note: I would NOT modify the mouse itself, don't worry - I would make an adapter box, if such thing is doable.
  10. U

IBM PS/2 55SX (Model 8555) - Errors 165 and 163 at boot. DALLAS chip w/new battery

Dear gentlemen, I have bought an IBM PS/2 55SX. During booting it displays errors 165 and 163, and after pressing a function key (I don't remember which one, I think F2) it boots into ROM BASIC. As far as I can tell, the computer doesn't even seek for a floppy drive. What to do? As I said, I...
  11. U

Building a quasi-supermini in 2017 (Unix-based)

This will sound like the oddest idea (or wish), and I am afraid I'll attract some criticism as well: I have wanted a Unix supermini since I was a kid. That little kid has been waiting four decades for his wish to come true, but the finances just don't seem to make it possible. I would have liked...
  12. U

How to format a Disk on Module (DOM) in old 286 or 386 motherboard under DOS?

I have a 128 MB Disk on Module (DOM) which I inserted directly into the controller card (actually a multi-I/O card) and armed with the information in https://www.acceed.com/manuals/DOM%20Manual.pdf (see Appendix A) I proceeded to boot the computer, set the BIOS parameters for "Drive type 47" and...
  13. U

Some details about using 20 MHz 387SX with a 33 MHz 386SX

Dear all, I want to add a numerical (mathematical, math) coprocessor co-processor to my motherboard which has a soldered-in 386SX running at 33MHz. More exactly, it is an AMD Am386 SX/SXL-33. The problem is that I have a 387SX running at 20 MHz, so I will have to set up my motherboard for...
Back