• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. G

RTC int. error - Toshiba T3100

After some months waiting for the RTC chip (I bought a failed one on ebay), the machine is up and running again. Thanks
  2. G

No, I don't have one. Anyway, I think I'm gonna source that RTC chip + the crystal as it's really cheap. I'm gonna report back when it gets replaced. To reach the RTC in this machine, you need to almost completely tear it apart, including the screen. Thanksss
  3. G

Thanks for your very helpful reply. Today I inspected the battery area as suggested and I found some corrosion on the RTC chip, which is indeed an MC146818. I've removed it to inspect the traces underneath, and they seem a little suspicious, but upon testing them for continuity they checked ok...
  4. G

Got this machine that was working fine, but after a reboot it gave me this error: "RTC int. error". It stays on this message and doesn't boot. Checking the maintenance manual it appears to be a "RTC INTERRUPT ERROR". I've no idea what this mean, but checking the manual it says just replace the...
  5. G

mouse for an IBM XT

Is there an IBM branded mouse for this machine? I'm looking online for a serial mouse for an XT, but I can't find an IBM serial mouse, just PS/2 ones or from other brands. Which mouse would be a period correct one? thanks
  6. G

Looking for face plate of a Seagate ST-4096 hard drive

I'm looking for this part, if you have one pm me please. Ship to Miami, thanks
  7. G

Trying to bring IBM L40SX back to life

I did some test in individual components like 74xx chips and they weren't shorted. So I didn't found any shorts in this rail (5v?) I'm assuming there's a 12v rail also, not sure where to test. There's no much info about fixing this machine, service manual says just replace the entire board...
  8. G

Trying to bring IBM L40SX back to life

I have this L40SX that appears dead. The display and the small display indicators are the only signs of life, the display backlight turns on and I can control the brightness, but that's all. The rest of the machine looks dead, no chips gets warm, no sound, nothing. I'm using a modern power...
  9. G

Install Gotek with 16bit controller in an XT

I have this 5160 with a WD1002A-WX1 HD 8 bit controller card and a ST-4096 drive. I would like to add a gotek drive, but I'm not sure if it's possible to install it with a 16 bit controller card. I have the cards available in the photos below, they are both HD and FD controllers. Model are: a)...
  10. G

how to access Floppy Drive on parallel port

I recently got a external mitsubishi parallel port floppy drive model: MF355H-332MR. I'm trying to use it under windows xp or windows 98se, or DOS 6.22. Does it need a driver? I can't make it work. I didn't find much info about this drive. Thanks
  11. G

IBM 5155, booting into basic

I see now, it's not the original motherboard, but the case is the IBM one together with the keyboard. So no Cassette BASIC on this ROM right? So probably as Eudimorphodon says. thanks!
  12. G

IBM 5155, booting into basic

I got this machine with a missing floppy drive, but with a ST238R hard drive and controller. It gives me disk error, so I removed the hard drive controller card. I thought the machine would boot into cassette basic when it didn't find any drives, it just get stuck in the error saying "any key to...
  13. G

Help setting jumpers on Hard drive controller

These are the best photos I could get, the flex looks pretty damaged, with the naked eye it didn't seem that bad. Hard to repair right?
  14. G

Help setting jumpers on Hard drive controller

Hello guys, I want to install an ST-238R Hard drive in an IBM 5160. I got this machine in a non working state, and with the help of this forum I was able to repair it (shorted cap). Now the machine is working fine, floppy drive is ok. It came with the hard drive mentioned above and a...
  15. G

IBM PS/2 Model 25 not reading floppies

Hi, I got this IBM PS/2 Model 25 Type 25-S01 that can't read floppies. Somebody installed a hard drive on it, but I had to remove it since it was not working. I've cleaned the floppy read/write head with isopropyl alcohol, it was pretty dirty, also lubricated the rails, etc. After the machine...
  16. G

Help installing hard drive in IBM XT

I tried again with no jumpers and I was able to format the drive, I got the "Format Succesful!" message. Then I did an Fdisk and it gave me a "No fixed disk", I tried to low level format again and I got the "Error---completion code 80" again. Also the drive started to make a irritating sound, so...
  17. G

Help installing hard drive in IBM XT

Hello guys, I have this IBM XT that is working fine, except for the hard drive, which is a Seagate ST-238R. This drive has a broken flex, and I've tried formatting it several times with debug with no luck. Now I recently got an old 486 with a Seagate ST-251-1 MFM drive. I would like to know if...
  18. G

help installing Hard drive in IBM XT

Hello guys, I have this IBM XT that is working fine, except for the hard drive, which is a Seagate ST-238R. This drive has a broken flex, and I've tried formatting it several times with debug with no luck. Now I recently got an old 486 with a Seagate ST-251-1 MFM drive 80mb. I would like to...
  19. G

Replace RLL Hard Disk flex?

I have this Seagate ST-238R Hard Drive with a broken flex cable. I'm assuming this is whiy it isn't working on my IBM XT. Is it possible to replace it? Not sure if the drive could be opened or if I do this the HD gets destroyed. Some pics:
  20. G

IBM 5151 monitor wide image?

Well, I fixed it and I'm still alive. Those pots were glued so they do not move, so why does it has misconfigured it? Bad caps?
Back