• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. P

ZPPA (Bluesky Innovations) bootable Parallel Port ZIP

Does someone know this pretty nice ROM extension, which lets you use a parallel port ZIP drive for booting (e.g. a different operating system) ? I found an early article about it: https://brianlivingston.com/windowmanager/archive/cgi-bin/new/livingst/bl060997.htm Also, with the help of...
  2. P

ST Microelectronics 486DX2 is (technically) a Cx486DX2 CPU ?

Is a ST Microelectronics 486DX2 technically a Cx486DX2 CPU ? And if yes, what (DOS) utility can I use to enable the WB Cache ?
  3. P

PPGA vs FCPGA ... a bit confusing

I have a Baby-AT sized (P)PGA (Socket 370) mainboard, it's one of the first of its kind. That means I can only use Mendocino Celeron 300 to 533 MHz CPUs (with 2 volts Vcore). Are there any other options I did not have discovered yet? Would like to use a Celeron 533A (Coppermine) CPU, because of...
  4. P

Looking for an older "non-PAE" Linux Antix version 14.4 (suitable for Pentium 1 systems)

Hi, I am desperately looking for an older Linux Antix version 14.4, filename is MX-14.4-non-pae.iso ( originally downloadable from https://downloads.sourceforge.net/MX-14.4-non-pae.iso - but not existing anymore ). The current SF page for older versions...
  5. P

A short question about power consumption of old PCs / PC-hardware

I was wondering how "big" a power supply must be to deliver enough power to a defined constellation of hardware. That means: A motherboard, a CPU ( must be ;-) ), a common/usual amount of memory (RAM), a floppy drive (3.5" or 5.25"), a Compact Flash card as an IDE HDD. I am asking that...
  6. P

Anybody aware of specific jumper and connector on a Watchguard Firebox III / 1000 mainboard ?

The old Watchguard Fireboxes (Firebox FB10, FB100) uses well known PC mainboards like ASUS P55TP4N. The successor of the first Fireboxes, Watchguard Firebox FB II and FB III are using the same technology, but smaller, not well known PC mainboards. Transforming the FB 10 and FB100 Boxes into a...
  7. P

Small question - can I set a Pentium 200 MMX to 233 MHz with 1.5x multiplier?

I own a working VXPro+ (VIA Apollo VPX) based Pentium (Socket 7 & Super Socket 7) mainboard, a Pentium 200 MMX is plugged in and works well. Is it possible to "overclock" a Pentium 200 MMX CPU to 233 MHz, e.g. just by using a multiplier of 1.5x (instead of 3x for 200 Mhz) ? A small cooler is...
  8. P

Has anybody successfully transformed a Watchguard Firebox FB100 to a decent PC ?

For those who don't know it, these red boxes (at least this version) are containing an ASUS P55TP4N or ASUS P55T2P4 Mainboard, they have a 3.5" floppy drive, a lot of LEDs controlled by the parallel port and a very very small IDE flash memory drive with just 8MB capacity. No VGA card, but a lot...
  9. P

Unknown 16-Bit Memory and Multi I/O Card ... need some help identifying it

I need some advice/help... does anybody know the manufacturer/vendor of this 16-Bit Memory and Multi I/O Card ? It looks similar (but far from being identical) to an AST Memory Card, but I fear it's a 1985 Taiwan less known production. There is no FCC ID (even not on the back side). Inserted are...
  10. P

Imaging a HDD (to a file) with an old PC/XT ... new software created for this job

... that was my goal when I thought about writing an HDD imaging utility for DOS. See http://www.z80.eu/blog/index.php?entry=entry210331-173000 ... the program does not have a fancy GUI, but I guess still a useful user interface. It runs with plain MS-DOS, not necessarily with a newer version...
  11. P

Need some results for comparison ... would really appreciate a feedback post

For a sample series of x86 Assembler learning, I wrote also a small benchmark program. I've tested it with DOSBOX and with PCem, but the results were ... at least ... weird. The values are depending also if BIOS ROM Shadowing is used (or not). I would really appreciate some values for comparison...
  12. P

FMA 3500 (486DX) Notebook with Cirrus Logic GD610

Hi, I am desperately looking for a graphics card driver for the FMA 3500 (486DX) Notebook, which uses a CL-GD610 (VGA) graphics chip. This notebook has a VGA display, but monochrome (no color). DOS games will use 256 colors at once, although you cannot differentiate between the (missing) shades...
  13. P

Some tester (and editor for the config file) for a terminal test program searched

I've written a(n almost) simple terminal test program, which sends predefined control sequences to the console output of a CP/M system. The predefined sequences can be edited in a text configuration file (TESTTERM.COD, with a special syntax, see README.TXT). So far I tried to predefine sequences...
  14. P

Kaypro 10 - Cursor blinks but nothing else

I have no clue what to check first. My Kaypro 10 does not boot with an inserted floppy disk and also not from the hard disk drive. The Power LED is on, the blinking cursor shows on the upper left cursor, but the hard disk drive LED does not do anything. Also, the floppy disk drive does does not...
  15. P

Short question about compatibility of IBM XT keyboards connected to 286er mainboards

Hi, as far as I know usually IBM XT keyboards do not work with AT class mainboards. But I read also some notes about later IBM XT BIOS versions which contains support for one extended IBM PC keyboard (not the usual XT keyboard with 83 keys). So I guess at least in the period of transition from...
  16. P

Is there any easy way to port the UCSD-P System to a system like Micromint's SB180 ?

Yes, I know, there is also a Z80 version of the UCSD system, but even this version does not run on a Z80 machine without modifications, think about the disk format for example. Is there any documentation available how to adapt the UCSD system to a "foreign" system - like the Alteration Guide of...
  17. P

Looking for Bondwell 8T Expanded Memory Manager-Driver (EMM.SYS)

Hi, I'm still desperately looking for a device specific EMM-driver, which is essential for the Bondwell 8T (or pro8T), which is a CMOS 8088 CPU driven ancient LCD laptop. It must be this specific driver, because any other driver will not work with the Bondwell 8T VLSI chip set. Thank you in...
  18. P

Modular, data driven text adventure written in BASICA/MBASIC - available source code

Just in case someone is interested in looking for an example/getting source code of a text adventure game, which is written in BASICA/MBASIC, please feel free to look for more infos/visit my blog http://www.z80.eu/blog . It was created as an example how to write a parser for commands, for a...
  19. P

IBM SCSI Controller 71G3575 (MCS700) works well with PS/2 P70 (8573) ?

Just a short question - if my ESDI drives are now almost dead in my PS/2 P70 (8573), can I remove the ESDI drives and replace it with a SCSI HDD & an IBM 71G3575 (MCS-700) SCSI Controller ? I want to boot from the HDD (not from a floppy disk). Thank you in advance for sharing your expirience (I...
  20. P

Have a working "Option Board", but no clue how create disk image files

Hello all, meanwhile I have inserted in my Compaq Portable (the first one) an Option Board from Central Point, and it works well for duplicating 40 tracks DD floppy disks (with TransCopy). But it would be much more interesting to get disk image files from it. I've read, there was a patched...
Back