• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. AdamAnt316

Sales numbers for the IBM PC 5150? (or: What was behind the PCjr decision?)

Interesting this thread coming up. I have a rather checkered past with the PCjr. In the late '90s, a family friend gave us an old PCir, don't recall much about it except that it had a couple of sidecars, probably memory expansion and the parallel port, plus the replacement keyboard. When powered...
  2. AdamAnt316

Dual floppy drive Macs - rare?

As I mentioned above, I'm aware of (and almost owned an example of) the dual-floppy LC. Apart from the Apple IIes I encountered in elementary school, pretty much every computer I saw while attending school had a hard drive in it. When I attended high school, most of the PCs were either 486s or...
  3. AdamAnt316

Thanks for the responses. I've heard that the dual floppy drive LCs were mostly, if not exclusively, sold to the educational market. I rather suspect that the option of owning a HD-less Mac made more sense to consumers in 1987 than it did in 1990, hence both the SE and II being available in...
  4. AdamAnt316

Hello everyone. While perusing wares at the flea market this past weekend, I came across a seller offering a variety of compact Macs. They were models I already had examples of, and most of them were badly yellowed, but I ended up buying a Macintosh SE from him because it was an early version...
  5. AdamAnt316

Mystery Sinclair "US 2000" power supply?

Again, thanks for the reply. I have sent some info links to my friend so he can keep an eye out whenever he goes back to the place where he found the power supply. I'm not sure how common these US-spec QLs are, but it'd be nice to have one for my collection. -Adam
  6. AdamAnt316

Thanks for the reply. I did some more research, and according to this page, the Sinclair QL was indeed sold in the United States, albeit on a rather limited basis, and in modified form (added shielding, DB-9 serial connectors replacing the proprietary originals, etc.). Now I can only wonder what...
  7. AdamAnt316

Hello everyone. I was at the famed MIT Swapfest this past weekend, hanging out with a friend who was set up to sell. On his table, he had an odd-looking power supply which caught my eye. It had a weird angular look to it, and further inspection revealed the "Sinclair" logo molded into the top. I...
  8. AdamAnt316

Another oddball 8" floppy drive find

Hello everyone. Some may recall the Quantel Paintbox disk drive I found at a hamfest a couple of years back. The pandemic put the kibosh on said show for a couple of years, but it was able to be held last month, and this time around someone who knows I'm into this stuff brought a pair of 8"...
  9. AdamAnt316

Telcon Zorba screen issues

Thanks for the reply. I found a service manual on the site which gives me a pretty good idea of what I need to know with regards to opening the case and whatnot. Will have to figure out what sort of BIOS software it has before I can make a set of disks; the archive in the first link gives disks...
  10. AdamAnt316

Telcon Zorba screen issues

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a Telcon Zorba, one of the early models before the ModComp deal. Here are some photos: Overall, it seems to be in pretty good shape, though it's missing the little cover which goes over the ports, and didn't come with any software. Unfortunately, when...
  11. AdamAnt316

I really hope this isn't real...

Caviar iPhone 12 PRO Apple 1 Supposedly containing a fragment from a real Apple 1 computer board... :shock: :cursemad: More info here.
  12. AdamAnt316

Is the platinum IIe really that hard to find? And if so, why?

Thanks for the replies! Interesting theory. I checked the 'platinum' IIe I have, and the bottom sheetmetal (painted gray instead of brown as with the plain 'enhanced' IIe I also bought) doesn't show any signs of corrosion, and neither does the power supply inside it. I believe both of these...
  13. AdamAnt316

Is the platinum IIe really that hard to find? And if so, why?

Hello, everyone. Back in the early '90s, when I began 4th grade, I discovered that the school had a computer lab, and that it was stocked with "platinum" Apple IIes, plus a IIgs for the teacher (and, briefly, a IIc near one of the doors). Since we had an older 'enhanced' IIe (a hand-me-down from...
  14. AdamAnt316

Quantel Paintbox 8" floppy drive

Hello everyone. At a hamfest last month, I spotted a couple of 8" floppy disk drives in a pile of junk. One of them was in an external case, while the other was mounted to what appeared to be a 19" rack panel. Since I wasn't sure what I'd do with the rack-mount drive, I grabbed the external one...
  15. AdamAnt316

My first Unix machine: HP Apollo 400T

Interesting stuff about NetBSD! I'll have to look into that if the HP-UX install proves to be unusable (and if the hardware is still stock). I've never used anything like this; closest would be the Linux boxes I messed around with in college, as well as my Dolch luggable, all of which have/had...
  16. AdamAnt316

My first Unix machine: HP Apollo 400T

Hello everyone! I was perusing the wares at a local hamfest this past weekend when what should I come across but a pair of early '90s workstations, which ended up coming home with me. One was a Digital VAXStation 3100, which I'm not sure belongs in this forum section, since there's already one...
  17. AdamAnt316

Motorola 9" Black and White TV smell

Here's the best image I'm aware of which demonstrates the issue with using a color wheel: (unfortunately, I'm not aware of a larger version of said image) That's Allen B. Dumont standing between an example of his company's mighty Royal Sovereign television set, and a 'dimensional model' of how...
  18. AdamAnt316

Found myself a Tandy 2500 SX!

Hello, everyone! Things seem to be coming up Tandy for me lately. After finding both a TRS-80 MC-10 and a Tandy 1200HD at last month's MIT Swap, I've now acquired a Tandy 2500 SX. It was pretty much a throw-in with a boxed Commodore Plus/4 I bought at a hamfest this past weekend; it came with a...
  19. AdamAnt316

What makes something collectible?

Hello, folks. First time posting to this blog thing. I've managed to accumulate several dozen computers over the past several years. A thread from a few months ago has had me thinking about exactly what makes a computer collectible. Here are the criteria which I consider: 1. Age: A given, but...
  20. AdamAnt316

Where are all the Tandy 1200s?

As promised, here are the pictures of my 'new' Tandy 1200HD. First off, a front view: Still has the original full-height drives, which is nice. Here's what it looks like with the included Tandy Extended Keyboard: Note the peeling insulation on the cable. Next up, the rear view: As I mentioned...
Back