• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. AdamAnt316

Dual floppy drive Macs - rare?

Hello everyone. While perusing wares at the flea market this past weekend, I came across a seller offering a variety of compact Macs. They were models I already had examples of, and most of them were badly yellowed, but I ended up buying a Macintosh SE from him because it was an early version...
  2. AdamAnt316

Mystery Sinclair "US 2000" power supply?

Hello everyone. I was at the famed MIT Swapfest this past weekend, hanging out with a friend who was set up to sell. On his table, he had an odd-looking power supply which caught my eye. It had a weird angular look to it, and further inspection revealed the "Sinclair" logo molded into the top. I...
  3. AdamAnt316

Another oddball 8" floppy drive find

Hello everyone. Some may recall the Quantel Paintbox disk drive I found at a hamfest a couple of years back. The pandemic put the kibosh on said show for a couple of years, but it was able to be held last month, and this time around someone who knows I'm into this stuff brought a pair of 8"...
  4. AdamAnt316

Telcon Zorba screen issues

Hello everyone. I recently acquired a Telcon Zorba, one of the early models before the ModComp deal. Here are some photos: Overall, it seems to be in pretty good shape, though it's missing the little cover which goes over the ports, and didn't come with any software. Unfortunately, when...
  5. AdamAnt316

I really hope this isn't real...

Caviar iPhone 12 PRO Apple 1 Supposedly containing a fragment from a real Apple 1 computer board... :shock: :cursemad: More info here.
  6. AdamAnt316

Is the platinum IIe really that hard to find? And if so, why?

Hello, everyone. Back in the early '90s, when I began 4th grade, I discovered that the school had a computer lab, and that it was stocked with "platinum" Apple IIes, plus a IIgs for the teacher (and, briefly, a IIc near one of the doors). Since we had an older 'enhanced' IIe (a hand-me-down from...
  7. AdamAnt316

Quantel Paintbox 8" floppy drive

Hello everyone. At a hamfest last month, I spotted a couple of 8" floppy disk drives in a pile of junk. One of them was in an external case, while the other was mounted to what appeared to be a 19" rack panel. Since I wasn't sure what I'd do with the rack-mount drive, I grabbed the external one...
  8. AdamAnt316

My first Unix machine: HP Apollo 400T

Hello everyone! I was perusing the wares at a local hamfest this past weekend when what should I come across but a pair of early '90s workstations, which ended up coming home with me. One was a Digital VAXStation 3100, which I'm not sure belongs in this forum section, since there's already one...
  9. AdamAnt316

Found myself a Tandy 2500 SX!

Hello, everyone! Things seem to be coming up Tandy for me lately. After finding both a TRS-80 MC-10 and a Tandy 1200HD at last month's MIT Swap, I've now acquired a Tandy 2500 SX. It was pretty much a throw-in with a boxed Commodore Plus/4 I bought at a hamfest this past weekend; it came with a...
  10. AdamAnt316

What makes something collectible?

Hello, folks. First time posting to this blog thing. I've managed to accumulate several dozen computers over the past several years. A thread from a few months ago has had me thinking about exactly what makes a computer collectible. Here are the criteria which I consider: 1. Age: A given, but...
  11. AdamAnt316

Mac 128 gives Sad Mac - bad RAM?

Hello everyone. I picked up a Mac 128K last year which throws a Sad Mac code upon turn-on, along with little dots twinkling on the screen. The code under the Sad Mac is 042822. According to this page, it would seem to indicate that the unit has bad RAM chips at locations F6, F10, G8, and G10...
  12. AdamAnt316

My "new" Macintosh II

Hello everyone. While wandering the MIT Swapfest this past weekend, I stumbled upon someone selling a Macintosh II. For some reason, I haven't seen much Mac II hardware at these shows, mostly either iMac-era stuff, or compact Macs. I got the Mac II, plus three ADB keyboards, for all of $20...
  13. AdamAnt316

Mac 512K with "HyperDrive" add-on: Rare?

Hello, everyone. I was at an antique radio swapmeet, of all places, when I spotted a Macintosh 512K in its carrying case. It had a badge on the front reading "HyperDrive", which I hadn't seen before. There were no disks in the carrying case, but I figured I'd carry it to the test table to see if...
  14. AdamAnt316

Osborne 1 from Germany - power supply voltage switch?

Hello, everyone. I just found a pair of luggables which had apparently been brought over from Germany, a Nixdorf PC-02 (rebadged version of the Panasonic Senior Partner) and an Osborne 1. The Osborne 1 has a QWERTZ keyboard, and a power supply which is apparently 220V only (no switch on the...
  15. AdamAnt316

DEC Robin - where to start?

Hello everyone. I have been building up a VT-180 setup piece-by-piece. Last year at a hamfest, I bought a pair of VT-100 terminals (both of which have apparently been upgraded to VT-125 status, though the badges on the front don't reflect this) with keyboards from one seller, and some of the...
  16. AdamAnt316

My "new" Model 1 setup!

Hello everyone! I've been collecting these computers for several years now. Several years ago, I picked up a model 1 along with its power supply and cassette cables, but no monitor. I had some idea it was working, but couldn't get legible video from it on any of the composite monitors I tried it...
  17. AdamAnt316

Easiest/cheapest way to get a GPIB printer to work on a modern-ish computer?

Hello everyone. This past fall, I picked up a Hewlett-Packard Thinkjet 2225A printer at a hamfest. Unfortunately, it's the version which uses the HPIB (aka GPIB, aka IEEE-488 ) interface, rather than parallel or serial. I'm wondering if there's a way to get it working with a modern-era computer...
  18. AdamAnt316

Original 128k Macintosh - how many are left?

Hello everyone. I recently acquired an example of the original 128K Macintosh. Best I can tell, it has never been upgraded to 512KB of RAM. I know that many of these were, either by Apple or through third-party means. Anyway, here are some pics: I've been wondering: about how many of the...
  19. AdamAnt316

KIM-1: source for edge connector?

Hello everyone. I've had a KIM-1 for some time now, though I have yet to try it out. It came attached to a chassis with a power supply underneath, but the connector going from it to the board has seen far better days (at least a couple of the pins are broken off, including some of the power...
  20. AdamAnt316

Macintosh SE/30 boot issues

Hello everyone. I picked up a Macintosh SE/30 this past weekend at a swapmeet. I was told by the seller that it was coming up with the 'Sad Mac' icon. Since I've wanted a SE/30 for a long time, I plunked down the $5 asking price, and hauled it to my car. This afternoon, I decided to plug the...
Back