• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

Desoldering technique

What is the technique for using these needles then? You heat the joint with an iron and then push the needle over it quickly?
  2. A

Desoldering technique

This is true; one technique I use when using the vacuum desoldering gun is to move the tip in a small circle while desoldering/pumping to try to pull all the solder possible out. It seems to do a better job that way. Also, if it is the smallest amount of connection after that, using something...
  3. A

Jason Scott's VCF Donation

I agree above about - it is all about the terms. When one person is unloading something to another, the first person is somewhat washing their hands of it, but ultimately, the terms of the arrangement are what matter. The receiver either abides by the terms or they don't. If the receiver...
  4. A

WinImage for DOS

Post #46 has my latest FDIMAGE which will run on 8088's. https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/my-floppy-drive-image-tool-1-00.62346/page-3 It has versions that run in DOS or in Win9x/NT.
  5. A

Can a 1.44 MB FDD replace a 720 KB one?

Did even the later/final 1.44MB drives continue to do this? I've got a USB 1.44MB floppy that normally can write 720K disks and then I can read them in my T1100 plus. But then there are other 720K disks (they seem really early) that if I try to write them in the USB 1.44MB floppy drive, they...
  6. A

Case suggestion for 2 floppy system

I picked up a DLT external drive enclosure with drive from eBay for I think less than $30. Pulled the DLT drive from it and put a pair of Teac 55GFR's in there for use with the Altair 8800C I built.
  7. A

Case suggestion for 2 floppy system

I did what Chuck suggested and it worked out great.
  8. A

Happy Easter!

Happy Easter!
  9. A

TTL Logic Analyzer Recommendations?

Higher end are the Saleae LA's, but they are pricey. They stream over USB so no sample buffer limit to worry about. The software requires a modern PC with lots of processing power and their USB3 solutions are the best ones. https://www.saleae.com/ A bit long in the tooth is a LogicPort, you...
  10. A

NEC Tape deck repair

I took a PC-6082 apart - most everything was gummed up from dried lubricant. Once I cleaned it up and re-lubricated it, it began working. I was pretty lucky to get it back together.
  11. A

NEC Tape deck repair

From the NEC TREK User's Guide: The NSPS Feature The NEC Search and Play System (NSPS) makes loading a tape even easier than just described There are many times where you have five or six programs stored on one side of the tape. To find the program you want easily, the NSPS can be used...
  12. A

Pi Day

It was a DOD teacher on a military base. The funny thing to me is how much it has stuck with me over the years as that was the 80s.
  13. A

Pi Day

Yep, I had to recite them perfectly and without one single error or it was a fail. Students could choose amounts from 25 to 200 and would get a specific number of A assignments depending on their choice. I got 8 A's for it!
  14. A

Pi Day

This is what I can still remember from the 200 digits of PI I memorized in 6th grade - at least I can still recall 55 digits correctly! 3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209
  15. A

Degausing old floppy disks?

I have the same - it will stop working and then you let it sit until it cools down.
  16. A

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

So what I was thinking was something like this, you guys have the knowledge so let's write it down! 8088 to 8086 - ? % faster 8086 to 80286 - ? % faster -or- 8088 to 80286 - ? % faster (if a more common comparison) 80286 to 80386 - ? % faster 80386 to 80486 - ? % faster 80486 to Pentium - ? %...
  17. A

Is there a case to be made for the 386?

One thing that would be fascinating to know is clock for clock, what is about the average speed increase by processor generation. Something like 486 vs. 386, clock for clock is 50% faster for example.
  18. A

We need something better than cards for retro PC HD Drive Replacement

Zalman used to make external 2.5" HD cases that could mount images on them and present it as a CD-ROM drive over USB.
  19. A

Please take a look at my i4004 source - any improvement suggestions?

That is indeed clever; I'll have to keep that in mind to see if it will be useful somewhere. Probably one of the biggest constraints of coding for 4004 is that lack of a real stack, but maybe it is also a blessing in disguise because there is so little room anyway and you don't want to litter...
  20. A

How long did CP/M have a hold before MS-DOS became a thing

I've had it in my mind that each had its own "era" in a sequential thing like "CP/M was it for 8 years, and then MS-DOS was it for X years", but the early date of the IBM PC in 1981 seems to throw that idea out the window. Obviously CP/M was earlier, but how much earlier and for how long did it...
Back