• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. K

VIC-20 clock problem

I don't think the clock is the issue here since his measurement was only around 0.2% "off" from the original 8.869MHz specification. Some years ago I made an expansion that had an external clock crystal. It was difficult to get the expansion to syncronize to the internal Vic-20 clock. The...
  2. K

Building a Commodore 1581 floppy drive from scratch

Great project! So nice to see that you got it working! I've had a similar plan with a 8050 drive. The PCB is so old and cracked that I have given up on it. But drawing a new PCB it certainly a daunting task.
  3. K

VIC-20 clock problem

I have seven Vic-20's and while most of them work, they are prone to failure after all this time. Since you were experiencing problems with two sound registers while the third one (partially) worked, I would suspect the VIC chip (6560) has gone bad. The display issue also indicates this...
  4. K

A flake to avoid on ebay

I bought a 68060 in March from funkward-tech for $44. He actually sent it, but the tracking shows that it was returned to him sometime in May. Lots of emails and no item or refund, I tried to requesr a refund on ebay. They just closed it after some time due to «no activity». And that was like...
  5. K

Oldest still-in-use bus?

Much industrial equipment still use HART to communicate over 4-20mA signal lines. Although not a computer system bus, its used as a multi-drop communication bus, usually with MODBUS. HART is not very old (1980?), but the 4-20mA lines that its patched onto, are.
  6. K

Your best and worst vintage computer investments?

I bought a new 85MB external hard drive for my Amiga 500 in 1988. Had it shipped from the US to Norway (it was the only way to get one). It never worked. I could have made a fire of the 500USD instead. Would have been a quicker and less painful way to get rid of them. My best investment was my...
  7. K

40-Column boards for the VIC-20

I did make an expander a few years back with a video output (in VGA though) for the Vic-20. it basically gave you the same 20(23) column screen as the VIC chip, but on a VGA screen. Everything was in Verilog code and output from a FPGA. It wasn’t compatible with the Data20, but tweaking it to do...
  8. K

Anyone else building an Apple-1 ?

I have to admit I am still building my Apple-1. I started 3 or 4 years ago, so its not finished. But its close. The board is a Newton replica, first batch I think. I try to get all the original components, at least date correct. Obviously I haven’t managed to get the Torotel crystal, and still...
  9. K

Cbm pet 8296-d black screen

I can confirm this. I have several CBM disk drives, and they all have the 6530 RRIOT that has a small ROM inside. The ROM differs from version to version, and with all the different chips you are really not going to find a replacement soon. Your best option is therefore the replacement board...
  10. K

ASR 33 on Ebay

Wow, thats an intersting find. My mother used to work as a journalist at a newspaper that had one of those. They are seriously heavy, so no wonder shipping exceed the price..
  11. K

Looking to sell KIM-1

If you (or anyone else) ever try to repair the board, be aware that its only MCS6530-002 and MCS6530-003 that will work. Some ebay sellers seems to try to sell other 6530 variants (but they will not work). There is a 6530-variants list here: http://retro.hansotten.nl/6502-sbc/6530-6532/
  12. K

FYI: Computer Reset closing for good in April 2022

There was a video posted on youtube a couple of weeks ago. The amount of stuff is just too large for anyone to go through it. It looks like a really large warehouse with no logistics whatsoever.
  13. K

Amiga 3000 A3000 daughter board

There is the ReAmiga3000 project here. I'm not sure if that includes the daughter board, but you can ask him.
  14. K

Wtb: Kimsi

Hi I am looking for a KIMSI expansion board for my KIM-1. It doesn't need to be in working condition.. in fact, it can be a bare board if it came from a kit. It looks like this: https://vintagecomputer.ca/the-kimsi-s-100-expansion-backplane-for-the-kim-1-by-forethought-technologies/
  15. K

Cbm 8250 lp

Just missed this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/284068242014?ul_noapp=true I have a B720 mainboard and a case. Since I have the mainboard with floppy board connectors, I am thinking of adding a couple of floppy drives to it. The control boards seems to be around, but what type of drive mechanism was...
  16. K

Apple 1 unobtanium

Hi I am still looking for: CINCH 252 22 30 210 connector (44pin). Usually marked as 50 44S 30 1. They are green 44-pin connectors for inserting a PCB edge into them. They are green and have gold contacts and round gold base pins. Connectors with ears (for screws) are flooding ebay, but these...
  17. K

Were are the old forum treads?

In the main menu it says that Requests/Discussions has 141 treads, but going into here, there are only 2 showing? It looks like the other forum parts have the same problem as well.. I can't see my old postings for some reasons.
  18. K

Apple 1 PROM programming (MMI 6301)

I will burn a GAL with the S80 option which is available for download (along with the U7 eprom that works with it). The 22A has a different mainboard than the 22, so I will make an adapter board like the one here:
  19. K

Good surplus store in bay area?

Hi Does anyone know of a good electronics surplus store in the bay area? I am mostly looking for components, but old commodore computers are also interesting.
  20. K

Apple 1 PROM programming (MMI 6301)

I am looking to program a few MMI 6301-1J for my Apple 1 clone. Alternately an Data I/O 29 with Unipak to program them myself.
Back