• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. B

LQP02 Troubleshooting

I can't find any documentation online for the LQP02 (schematics, etc). If you have hardcopies please scan them so they can be added to bitsavers. I found schematics in the LQP02 tech manual on manx. It sounds like there is a short on the digital board which causes L1/L2 to burn out. A likely...
  2. B

Capacitor damaged on a VaxStation 3100

Both those options should work electrically. I didn't check the physical size. CW
  3. B

Unfortunately, I've already put them away. I'm in the process of painting, so everything is piled under tarps. I did look at an older machine, and it matches the schematic on bitsavers. Page 65 shows the component placement, and C5 (just below the power connector) is a visual match. The parts...
  4. B

I looked at one of my 3100s, and I have the same board. On closer inspection, I believe the component is an old style tantalum capacitor based on the pin protruding from the positive end, but I don't have any idea of the value. Like yours, mine doesn't have any visible markings. I think I have...
  5. B

Puzzling. The M38 should have a KA42 motherboard, but it doesn't match the component locations in the online documents. Perhaps it's a different board revision? It's also possible the motherboard was upgraded to a KA43 (M76) without re-badging the case, but that seems unlikely. In any event...
  6. B

What model 3100? The KA42 schematics are on bitsavers (here), but they don't match the component locations shown in your picture. CW
  7. B

DEC RA92 Troubleshooting

The spindle lock may not be unlocking. Check the manual page 6-20 to see how to bypass. CW
  8. B

Can anyone tell me what these disks are?

The B indicates it is an optional software component. See DEC Standard section 21. Curiously, BI-xxxxx isn't listed. CW
  9. B

Keyboard-less VT10x terminals

Some of the Chinese PCB houses will assemble for a reasonable price. Others here have gone that route with good results. CW
  10. B

Bypass capacitor for an M7551 board

The MSV11-R schematics are part of the 11/84 print set (MP-02015), and they list two xx47xx capacitor options: 0.47uF 25V Ceramic (20%) and 0.047uF 50V Ceramic (+80%/-20%). CW
  11. B

Was there a VAX SBC?

DECstations will not run VMS since they are based on the MIPs processor. DECstations will only run the MIPS version of Ultrix (and maybe NETBSD). All VAXstation, VAXserver, MicroVAX, and VAXen will run VMS. Most flavors of VAX will also run Ultrix, but you should check the SPD to be sure...
  12. B

Was there a VAX SBC?

Yeah, but to my recollection none work on the MicroVAXen without modification. I could be wrong, it has been many years since I looked into it. CW
  13. B

Was there a VAX SBC?

From the MicroVAX 3100 owner's manual (1989): CW PS Gunkies has a good landing page: MicroVAX 3100 series
  14. B

Was there a VAX SBC?

DEC had Ultrix-32 which ran quite well on MicroVAXen, and the CDs are available on bitsavers. UWS (based on X11) works okay, but a bit sluggish if memory serves. CW
  15. B

Anyone in the US have a Microvax?

I have several microVAXen (and a couple megaVAXen), but none that use SIMMs. There are a few options available on ebay that aren't too expensive ($45 for a pair) you could try. I don't know the compatibility matrix, but I would expect an MS44L-BA to work. CW
  16. B

TZ30 repair

The VS3100 maintenance guide (EK-285AA-MG-001) says three blinking LEDs means 'The drive has detected a hard error'. I can't find any manuals on the drive itself. Maybe check the circuit board for leaking/puffy capacitors. You can also plug it into a PC power supply to rule out supply issues. CW
  17. B

Is there a way to remotely access RT-11 running on simh using SSH on Android?

Probably the easiest would be setting up a VPN server on the Simh host with a matching client on Android, and using a Telnet app to connect to the console as @hush indicates. If you really want SSH, I think an SSH tunnel with a telnet app on Android is possible. I believe ConnectBot can setup...
  18. B

Multiple files w/same name (versioning) - One of DEC's best ideas

I agree that was one of VMS's better features. In college there was a prank going around where you modify LOGIN.COM to be: DELETE LOGIN.COM;0 LOGOUT and make a copy of it. Your target would attempt to login a couple times, get frustrated and ask for help, but it would login just fine on the...
  19. B

DEC units on ebay

Did you see the mis-inserted DEC chip? It looks like one is broken (E63) and another is cracked (E58). CW PS Lol, they are mentioned in the description. I only looked at the pictures before posting
  20. B

SCSI SD card adapter for Emulex Qbus card?

There is a fork at Unibone from ~3 years ago, but I don't know if it has any more information available. CW
Back