• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. A

IMS Series 8000 (5000SX?) Project

Here's my rig anyhow...
  2. A

IMS Series 8000 (5000SX?) Project

I just want to thank all involved in this particular post - I have an IMS 8000 microcomputer, owned it for about 15 years now. New_Castle very kindly game me some HD controller boards some years back, Im ashamed to say I got as far as copying the TurboDOS ROM code to an EEPROM and creating a...
  3. A

Early Computers and Electronic Music?

Tried on another phone and vintage synth forum is fine - but the blog has all it's picture nuked because of some cheap picture hosting site they used. Some pics from a Google images search: https://images.app.goo.gl/JdJehoZgReHrvEXv7 You can see the IMS 8000 under the terminal in the middle...
  4. A

Please cry with me - My Osborne 1 chewed up my DD boot disk :( Advice sought.

Regarding OEM disks - Archive once, never use again. My floppy drives only ever see 3M floppies I've bought as unopened NOS. Never had one that didnt work or that shed so far. My method for archiving: Remove disk cookie, place on clean tissue, clean in cyclic movements, from inside to out using...
  5. A

Got any photos of inside computer stores from back in the day?

The Computer Junk Shop, Widnes, Cheshire, England. This was my shop of dreams as a teen in the 90's. The original shop got demolished 10 years or so ago - to make way for a bridge over the Mersey. Incredibly, there seems to be a one-page website attached to a newer domain here...
  6. A

Dec ephemera

I have no exposure to DEC equipment, although I love the aesthetic - but there was some considerable pleasure in seeing all this stuff. I particularly liked the logic / component stencil. Thanks for sharing.
  7. A

Intersystems Front Panel chokes data on IMS CPU 451 board

Thankyou - nice to know there are others out there. I never doubted it, but good to see other internal configurations.
  8. A

Wanted - UK Televideo TVI-912B terminal or similar

Hello all - I'm after a Televideo TVI-912B (or similar model) terminal for my IMS 8000 S100 computer. UK based. Preferably working but will also consider non - functional, so long as the CRT is intact. The Televideo TVI-912B was the terminal the original owner had for my IMS 8000. It came with...
  9. A

Vertical line on a Lear Siegler ADM-3A Terminal

Hi All - I'm thinking of buying said terminal. It appears functional - displays text on the screen etc. However - there is a vertical green line to the left of the text from top to bottom. I have some experience of repairing TVs from the 1970's/80's at a hobbyist level, as a teenager - its been...
  10. A

So these 3 Superbrains followed me home...

This is what I use as a replacement for the non polar electrolytic cap... You'll have to click on the thumbnail - snip was too small. I got 5 off eBay a year or so ago - my SB display has been fine and the component itself seems to have enough current throughput so that it doesn't overheat...
  11. A

Repaired Intertec Superbrain - after 12 years of trying!!

Just wanted to share - today I fixed my Superbrain QD! After years of trying to fix a Superbrain motherboard I've had since I was about 13 (with a lot of JonB's help, we got it 95% fixed) - earlier today, I had a go at the board that actually came with my Superbrain - and somehow succeeded...
  12. A

Seagate ST-4038 MFM hard Drive Ressurection or Burial?

Drive 0 Recal Error - the main issue! Primary Hard Disk Failure - error displayed when the PC goes through its drive detect POST routine. Hello - I've been getting serious about an ST-4038 mfm drive that has been in my ownership for the last 14 years. Originally purchased off eBay from the...
  13. A

£1000 Superbrain - saddening!

An early, non QD Superbrain on eBay for £1000 :( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202756096792 This is the message I sent: 'Hello - I have an interest and knowledge of these Superbrains, I've owned one for the last 12 years and had 5 when i was a teen. By all means try and get £1000 for it. Someone...
  14. A

IMS 8000 User Setup Guide

IMS 8000 system setup guide https://1drv.ms/b/s!AkqwbC5X9DqKiONXcyDFADRsnW2hiA This is a link to the manual in my OneDrive account. I tried uploading it here but couldn't get it to work. Apologies for the blank pages - I had the sheet feeder on the scanner set to duplex, so its scanned the...
  15. A

Superbrain QD Nearly Fixed?

Another bit of progress... Picture is dim because it's between the 50hz/camera shutter speed Now I can type accasional correct characters but usually just get ??????? When a key is pressed. The DIR listing is a one off until I fix ths issue.
  16. A

2 Boxes Hard Sectored 8 inch disks for sale in Uk

Hi - just posted on a famous online auction site - 2 boxes of 10 hard sectored 8" floppy disks - 2 separate auctions. One box Verbatim, one box Maxell. Maxell are in better condition. Not sure if I'm supposed to post eBay links? Search for Hard Sectored floppy disks and I'm sure you will find...
  17. A

VDAC IC for Intertec Superbrain QD

Hi - If anyone has a working spare CRT8002-003 VDAC IC, I need one to hopefully fix my Intertec Superbrain QD Needs to be the -003 variant preferably - it has a specific character encoding on the internal ROM Datasheet is here...
  18. A

Superbrain QD Nearly Fixed?

Hi all, Just a quick vid and rundown of where I'm at with my 12 year Superbrain quest: A pick of the Mboard after all the socketing etc I've done: I've socketed about 15 of the glue logic chips - partly to test them on my ABI Chip tester and partly just so I could see where traces go. I...
  19. A

Screwed up my IMS 8000

My new friend: I've had it for years - scan the boards, scan all documentation. Time to get it in the attic and use it!
  20. A

crt rejuvenation.

Oddly, I have a crt rejuvenator - not had cause to use it so far though. About a year ago I was walking past the TV repair shop in Burnley. I saw a 'thing' that caught my eye on a shelf inside. I have an eye for old test equipment. Went inside and had a look - I had seen rejuvenators on youtube...
Back